News Repairability is a phone feature that doesn't get enough love

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
Good article. I remember when at least some phones were repairable - I had a BlackBerry years ago that I dropped in a swimming pool. I was able to take it apart, spread parts out to dry, put it back together and good to go. Those days are gone!

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Sure you repaired your Blackberry. The thing is, if you were to drop your phone into the pool now, it wouldn't need to be torn apart to dry. Most modern phones are IP68 rated. Phones are more durable than they were 10 years ago.

To make phones more repairable, they would have to be made less durable.

There is also the personal responsibility and accountability aspect to consider. People should pay more attention to what is going on around them. The most common repair is replacing displays. Cracked displays usually happen through negligence.

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
Sure you repaired your Blackberry. The thing is, if you were to drop your phone into the pool now, it wouldn't need to be torn apart to dry. Most modern phones are IP68 rated. Phones are more durable than they were 10 years ago.

To make phones more repairable, they would have to be made less durable.

There is also the personal responsibility and accountability aspect to consider. People should pay more attention to what is going on around them. The most common repair is replacing displays. Cracked displays usually happen through negligence.
Repairability and durability are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and accidents do happen. If I dropped my phone into a pool now, it would be nice to be able to do the repairs myself. I don’t know the ratio of IP68 phones to non-IP68, but the new Razr folds are not.

To me it’s like a car. If a person is tech-savvy enough to do their own repairs on a smartphone, why not? 😊

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Repairability and durability are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and accidents do happen. If I dropped my phone into a pool now, it would be nice to be able to do the repairs myself. I don’t know the ratio of IP68 phones to non-IP68, but the new Razr folds are not.

To me it’s like a car. If a person is tech-savvy enough to do their own repairs on a smartphone, why not?
Actually, modern cars are less repairable by the owners. They are more durable though. So, probably not a good comparison.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos