Replace Nexus 5 with phone and rom that gets updated with latest Android?

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Replace Nexus 5 with phone and rom that gets updated with latest Android

Hi All,

My 2 year old unrooted Nexus 5 is having some battery and charging problems. I'm gonna replace the battery soon. I'm also considering getting a new Android phone. My plan is to get an Android phone that is popular and has a good community for rooting and romming. I want to get a phone that I can root and rom. And I want to get a rom that gets regularly updated with the latest version of Android. Assume that I get a popular phone with an active root and rom community. Are there roms that are kept updated with the latest versions of Android?

Feel free to move this to another sub-forum if needed. Thanks,

jball32

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Replace Nexus 5 with phone and rom that gets updated with latest Android

Motorola devices are normally AOSP stock Android and are easy to unlock and root

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

OK, thanks. I'll start researching Moto phones.

Is it true that most of the popular Android ROMS get updated when Google releases a new version of Android?

I'm new to rooting and romming and I'm doing my research. Thanks,

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Nexus 5X/6P

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I'm no expert but Nexus devices, regardless of manufacturer, are Google products. Android is a Google product. All other companies add something to Google Android so their updates lag from a short while to a very long while to never. Motorola is reputed to be the first out for the non-Nexus providers. It seems some service providers also scew with Google Android so a phone that might be updated by one service provider might wait longer for another provider to update their oh-so-special version.

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Hello ptkelly,

So it sounds like my research steps will be 1. Find a popular phone that has the features I need. 2. Then find a popular community supported ROM that works with the phone. 3. Check and see if that ROM gets updated when new versions of Android come out. 4. If "no" then repeat. 5. If "yes" then root and rom and enjoy getting the latest versions of Android on the rom. This sound reasonable?

So it doesn't matter if the phone I get never gets updated cuz my plan is to root and rom it with a rom that does get updated with new versions of Android.

I'm very new to root and romming so its likely that I'm misunderstanding some things. Let me know. Thanks,

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I have another very basic question. If I root and rom my Android phone with a popular well supported rom, I can log into the Play Store and install apps like on an unrooted Android phone?

Sorry to be such a noob. Thanks,

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site

I have another very basic question. If I root and rom my Android phone with a popular well supported rom, I can log into the Play Store and install apps like on an unrooted Android phone?

Sorry to be such a noob. Thanks,
When you install a non-stock rom, you will probably have to install some version of GApps (google apps). You will get access to the Play store and any apps that require root. As long as you're going to replace your N5, why don't you start practicing with it? Back up everything as unlocking will wipe your device. There are many roms available.
I'll have a hard time giving up my N5 which I expect to last another year. If you can afford it, the N6P is a nice upgrade. I got my son one to replace his N4. The Moto X pure second edition seems pretty nice and a little less $, I believe.
Despite what some may indicate, we're all noobs to something everyday. Reading the forums (like this one and XDA) will 'de-noob' you quickly, but hands-on is important, too.

Advaitom

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Excellent. Thanks. Hopefully the battery replacement will fix the problems with my Nexus 5. But just in case I'm researching my options in case I need get a new phone. I don't have the budget for a new Nexus phone so I'm exploring the root and rom option on a cheaper phone. The main reason I want to root and rom is so I can get the latest versions of Android soon after they come out. I'm totally happy with stock Android and I would choose a rom that's close to stock.

Is it true that most of the popular Android ROMS get updated when Google releases a new version of Android?

Thanks,

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness