Replacing the glass on my Note 2 - cracked it. Questions...

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I recently slipped on some ice and my phone fell out of my pocket screen first and cracked the glass on the screen bad. The touch screen still works, thankfully, but I need to replace the glass. I don't have insurance on it (due to the fact that I was going to root it right after I bought it), but I did find new screens for sale on ebay and bought one. I'm having trouble finding videos or instructions on how to replace it, though. I'm scared that I'm going to screw it up, but I am trying to avoid having to spend a whole lot of money getting it fixed. Would any of you know where to find good instructions on how to do this? I have found vids on YouTube on how to do this with the S3 and Note, but I can't seem to find any specifically on the Note 2. I assume that they would be very similar but since I am so nervous about screwing it up, I'd really like specific instructions on the Note 2. Hopefully, nobody has had to do this with their phones, but maybe somebody knows where to look.

Maybe there are other avenues I could go about this than having to do this myself? I don't want to spend over fifty dollars lol, but it may be worth spending somewhere around that amount to have somebody that knows what they are doing do this. Since I don't have insurance, I can't just take it to Verizon and get a replacement, I'm sure.

Thanks for any help! Like I said, I hope nobody has had to do this lol!

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. I'm unsure as to how rooting and insurance are related. I've had insurance on all my rooted phones with no problem if I had to make a claim. Anyways back to the matter at hand, you might check craigslist for local repair guys/shops? I know Adam Outler (search for him on G+, great developer for our phone) recently broke his screen and digitizer on his N2. Not sure if he was planning on or made a tutorial video on how he replaced it. But you might shoot him a message and ask if he knows of a good tutorial vid or if he has any advice for you if you decide on doing it yourself. Hope this helped and good luck!

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!! Verizon may not would care if it was a hardware problem like this, but I know rooting is supposed to void the warranty. I guess it probably depends on who handles your claim. If it was a "Barney Fife" by the book employee, technically your insurance is supposed to be voided when you root your phone. I will search for this guy. This was exactly what I needed!

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you saw, but Adam posted on his G+ page that he is doing a Live Stream breakdown and replacement on the screen of his N2. Would be an awesome tutorial and you could ask any questions you have right then. Here is the link to his page. https://plus.google.com/u/0/104711040110222472212/posts

No, I completely missed it, sigh. I had emailed him yesterday asking about it, but he said he hadn't made a video yet. Didn't tell me he was going to put one up last night. I'll watch this video when I get a chance! Thanks so much!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
http://youtu.be/ArgxwyogunE

Check out that video, details the entire process of removing all components within the device as if you are going to replace the screen. Granted I believe it is for the international version of the device but internals should be nearly exactly the same. Just a thought, at least you will get an idea if you are capable of doing it yourself. Also you might want to look up a cell phone repair center in your area, I know we have several around where I live, but no promises on what it will cost you.

JKforUA

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, watching somebody do it I'd an absolute must for me before I tear it apart. I am not confident in my know how well enough to try that! I'm still probably not ever going to be confident enough to do it myself, so searching for repair places is probably the way I'll end up going. Thanks!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac