Returned s9 plus after 24 hours

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Not really a worthy upgrade in my opinion from the s8 plus. My s8 plus is running the same software as the S9 plus. There was no noticeable performance increase or battery life that was super impressive and made me go wow. It felt like I was using a skinned version of my s8 plus. The ARmoji was utterly terrible and the face tracking was terrible as well. The star of the show the camera wasn't impressive, unless turning my concrete drive way pink is impressive. From what I have read there are some serious issues with the processing of pictures and over saturating them. I am sure a software update will fix these issues. There wasn't that wow factor at all with this phone. It was oh look it's identical to the one I am holding. I guess Samsung has finished its transition into becoming the Apple of Android!!

Again this is just my thoughts on the device and my experience. Not enough to warrant spending 800 plus on a device.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed a substantial difference in battery over my S8+. I'm pretty happy so far with the noticeable speed of this device, slightly larger feel of the display size, and the continued refinement of the software by Samsung.

Granted, I get to trade up every year on Verizon, so I only had to pay some fees, otherwise it was less than $100 upgrade and I'm happy.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I must say my S9+ has none of the issues that you speak of, but I agree that the upgrade over the S8+ is incremental at best.

My rationalization:
Mass consumerism. It's what's for breakfast.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Rush to judgement or not enough time to really get to know. 3-4 days to allow phone to update tweak settings any indexing and everything updated. Then too sometimes even new has needed a full wipe. Difference between setting up from a restore vs new also definitely makes a difference. 835 vs 845 and 4 vs 6GB RAM may not show anything in one day. I think 8.1 is worth waiting on now.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
For me, the placement of the fingerprint sensor was enough of an upgrade. I have small hands and I had to do some hand gymnastics to reach the FPS on the S8+. I don't have to do that on the S9+.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Rush to judgement or not enough time to really get to know. 3-4 days to allow phone to update tweak settings any indexing and everything updated. Then too sometimes even new has needed a full wipe. Difference between setting up from a restore vs new also definitely makes a difference. 835 vs 845 and 4 vs 6GB RAM may not show anything in one day. I think 8.1 is worth waiting on now.
Nah because it feels identical the the s8+. There are a few visual differences but they have the same software versions Android 8.0 and Samsung experience 9. I set up phones as new learned that a while ago. I doubt the s9 will get 8.1, considering the s8 series was on 7.0 until it got 8.0 almost a year after it launched. 8.1 is what is what the note series will launch with. That's how they do their updates for some weird reason. It's a tiny upgrade at most and really not worth it. Side by side it never did anything faster than my s8+.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from Note 8....and totally happy with my S9+....worth the upgrade for me...from size ...battery life...camera...big improvement stereo speakers...I had brought axon 7 only for speakers....soo s9+ speakers are better than Axon 7.......battery life is double of Note 8 for me

brianjsw

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Nah because it feels identical the the s8+. There are a few visual differences but they have the same software versions Android 8.0 and Samsung experience 9. I set up phones as new learned that a while ago. I doubt the s9 will get 8.1, considering the s8 series was on 7.0 until it got 8.0 almost a year after it launched. 8.1 is what is what the note series will launch with. That's how they do their updates for some weird reason. It's a tiny upgrade at most and really not worth it. Side by side it never did anything faster than my s8+.
If Netflix doesn't fix their bug where they are not allowing picture in picture mode on 8.0 then 8.1 is a very big deal to me.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
To each their own :) I find the overall speed, optical zoom, low light quality, improved 3.5 output, and amazeballs stereo speakers to be a worthy update.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I felt the same way at first coming from my S8+ to my S9+. BUT I do listen to music in the shower a lot using my phone and the stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos turned on sounds AMAZING in comparison to the S8+. Like, you don't even have to do a side by side comparison, even my workmates praise it when we watch Youtube videos, it's that noticeable.

Also as far as the camera goes, portrait mode alone with adjustable bokeh is worth the upgrade. That **** is legit.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Not quite 24 hours but I returned mine over the weekend too. The battery on the exynos version is just not acceptable imo.

Picked up a mate 10 pro for over £300 less and the battery and battery management on this thing are awesome.

Ergonomically much nicer to hold them both the 9 and 9plus too. Not perfect but a real bargain right now.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not quite 24 hours but I returned mine over the weekend too. The battery on the exynos version is just not acceptable imo.

Picked up a mate 10 pro for over £300 less and the battery and battery management on this thing are awesome.

Ergonomically much nicer to hold them both the 9 and 9plus too. Not perfect but a real bargain right now.
Just wondering what phone you came from before? I came from an S7 Edge and the S9 battery is lasting me a good 5hrs longer on the same setup despite having a smaller battery (using Exynos).

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Came from pixel 2 XL and v30

I did have the 8+ last year too and the 9+ definitely has a worse battery life.

B Posey

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I will be returning my S9+ today and keeping my Note 8. The only noticable different to ME is the duel stereo speakers (they sound amazing). Other than that, the Note 8 is a much better phone with the Spen imho. I'm definitely looking forward to the Note9!

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

I am using S9+ exynos version here in India and I am getting 2 days battery life...No issue here...Love it better than my Note 8....Battery life is double of my Note 8....And 24hrs is not enough to judge a phone or battery life

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Some day I need to hear the stereo speakers on the S9+ since you say they're better than the Axon 7. I have the Axon 7 and they are hard to beat. Very interesting.