Right Now....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
S3 hands down. That phone kicks soooo much ass. Right up to the locked bootloader. Deal breaker. Probably the G Nexus. I can't live without the Development community. I just can't stay locked into what they decide for me. If it weren't for the community out here and a way to unlock the Rez bootloader, I'd still be on Gingerbread. FAIL.

If the S3 gets cracked...I'm all over it.

If you must have an unlocked bootloader for the gs3 , then you can buy it directly from Verizon soon, it will be the same price as the regular version that you have now, except that it won't be offered on contract. Of course, you are paying a premium for verizon, just like the gnex is $350 unlocked pentaband no contract, but a no contract Gnex on Verizon is $600ish.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Gentlemen, the correct answer is the Maxx. Uber battery life in a small frame with no significant overheating issues. Plus it has close-to-stock ICS and better radios than Samsung.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
If you must have an unlocked bootloader for the gs3 , then you can buy it directly from Verizon soon, it will be the same price as the regular version that you have now, except that it won't be offered on contract. Of course, you are paying a premium for verizon, just like the gnex is $350 unlocked pentaband no contract, but a no contract Gnex on Verizon is $600ish.

You keep telling me things I already know. I appreciate if you are trying to help me out, but you're not getting my point. It is utterly ridiculous that they(as in VZW) need to lock a boot loader. We really need to pay a $400 premium to do what we want on a device that can only be used on Verizon anyway? If I could take that unlocked S3 on any network, It might be ok to sell at $600.

BTW, the unlocked S3 won't be available through VZW, it will be available direct from Samsung. And it still won't be worth it, because it goes against what the development community is about. They won't pay the "developer tax" as they call it. They will move to other phones if they can't crack the stock one.

I disagree with the Razr for two reasons.....(not including moto's boot loader policy) A) Moto has not improved their build quality. EVERY Moto phone I owned in the passed has some issue or another. I've NEVER had to take a phone in for warranty issues that wasn't moto. My buddy has had a droid X, and now a Maxx, and both of them he has returned multiple times. He is not a complainer, or someone who abuses the phone. His phones have legitimately had problems.

The second reason is the screen. I'm not a fan of the screen. Even before I had the Rezound. Also even thought the Razr is touted as being uber thin, if you look at the Razr and the S3 together, they may very well be the same size, but the Razr just looks huge next to it.

But this is what make android great over the Crapple. Choice. Your choice is different than mine, and that is what makes this platform great.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Razr Maxx I guess. I had no luck with the Galaxy Nexus radio, so I'm not interested in Samsung until I am sure they've improved their radios.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You keep telling me things I already know. I appreciate if you are trying to help me out, but you're not getting my point. It is utterly ridiculous that they(as in VZW) need to lock a boot loader. We really need to pay a $400 premium to do what we want on a device that can only be used on Verizon anyway? If I could take that unlocked S3 on any network, It might be ok to sell at $600.

BTW, the unlocked S3 won't be available through VZW, it will be available direct from Samsung. And it still won't be worth it, because it goes against what the development community is about. They won't pay the "developer tax" as they call it. They will move to other phones if they can't crack the stock one.

I disagree with the Razr for two reasons.....(not including moto's boot loader policy) A) Moto has not improved their build quality. EVERY Moto phone I owned in the passed has some issue or another. I've NEVER had to take a phone in for warranty issues that wasn't moto. My buddy has had a droid X, and now a Maxx, and both of them he has returned multiple times. He is not a complainer, or someone who abuses the phone. His phones have legitimately had problems.

The second reason is the screen. I'm not a fan of the screen. Even before I had the Rezound. Also even thought the Razr is touted as being uber thin, if you look at the Razr and the S3 together, they may very well be the same size, but the Razr just looks huge next to it.

But this is what make android great over the Crapple. Choice. Your choice is different than mine, and that is what makes this platform great.

You are talking about a $400 price difference on a contract vs. no contract phone. Two different things. Now, if Verizon was selling the gs3 for $200 no contract, and Samsung selling the gs3 for $600 no contract, then that is a different issue.

Verizon has always been tighter on "freedoms" for phones, like locked bootloader, not activating phones unless it was in their imei database, not being able to use pre-paid on post-paid out of the box, and so on. Everyone has different priorities when buying a phone. First, you said that you wanted an unlocked bootloader, so yes, you will have that option on the s3. Now, if you wanted a cheap phone with an unlocked bootloader on contract, then sure, you could go to another carrier. In addition to being "stricter", Verizon has always been a premium carrier carrying a premium price tag. If you don't wish to pay a premium for Verizon, then there are other options that may better suit your needs.

With that said, the reason I am on Verizon is because of network coverage, if they lost that, then I'd jump ship. To me, the most important reason to have the phone is for emergencies. I was in an underground parking structure the other day. My friend had ATT, no voice or data signal. On my gs3, had both voice and data, albeit a very weak signal, I was still able to make calls, and send out texts via google voice. Although I would never wish an emergency to happen, to me, I would rather be best prepared in the event that it does. This includes having the phone with the best overall network coverage.

Obviously, everyone's priorities are different, you need to choose the best network and phone that meets your needs. Just like, the Rezound does not have a large dev community, compared to say, the gnex. Don't get me wrong, the rez is a fine phone for what it is, but if I wanted the most roms, then I wouldn't choose the rez.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao