Ringtones & Notification Sounds Tied Together

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had two HTC devices before the DNA, so I am a little frustrated that HTC decided to link the ringtone and notification sound control. :-\ I want to turn off notification sounds. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Edited to Add: I tried downloading some volume control apps, and it appears that HTC has disabled, or overridden, the ability to control the ringtone and notification volumes separate.

Last edited:

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had two HTC devices before the DNA, so I am a little frustrated that HTC decided to link the ringtone and notification sound control. :-\ I want to turn off notification sounds. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Edited to Add: I tried downloading some volume control apps, and it appears that HTC has disabled, or overridden, the ability to control the ringtone and notification volumes separate.

What apps have you tired?

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
What apps have you tired?

I've tried
  • Volume Control (by CodeCode)
  • Volume Control (by RevsoDev)
  • Volume Control+ (by Coffeebreak Apps)
  • Volume Widget (by Futon Redemption)
  • Volume Controls (by Android Developer)

I gave up after the fifth app, figuring my experience would be the same with each subsequent app.

WildCard120

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
SGS3
Being that sms(text) & gmail are tied together as notifications, how would one also split them for diff individual notifi sounds or shut off just gmail notifi sound?
I also tried all of the above....
Thx for any advice, thx to OG poster!

From alt thread-Mclouatre
If its the same as the samsung galaxy s 3 then you have to go to accounts and sync, then touch your email account and then it gives two options, settings and your account, click on your account and there will be a box to check or uncheck for notifications. It took me forever to figure this out! lol. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

still_smoking

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
i have the HTC Rezound, and can seperate the sounds. check the settings in each individual app to change what it does. gmail settings has a setting for sound, and so does gtalk, messages, and each app/program that makes sounds.

i hope this was clear enough and works on the different devices.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've tried
  • Volume Control (by CodeCode)
  • Volume Control (by RevsoDev)
  • Volume Control+ (by Coffeebreak Apps)
  • Volume Widget (by Futon Redemption)
  • Volume Controls (by Android Developer)

I gave up after the fifth app, figuring my experience would be the same with each subsequent app.

Damn, that is somewhat annoying. I just tried with Audio Guru and seems like Ringer, alerts and system volumes are tied together.

Thanks for bring this to everyone's attention, hopefully someone will be able to figure out a way around this.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
i have the HTC Rezound, and can seperate the sounds. check the settings in each individual app to change what it does. gmail settings has a setting for sound, and so does gtalk, messages, and each app/program that makes sounds.

i hope this was clear enough and works on the different devices.

Thanks. You were clear. Going into the Gmail app was the first thing I did when I noticed this issue. I remember having that option on my DINC and DINC2. I don't know if it's a Jelly Bean thing, but unfortunately there is no option available to turn off notification sounds in my Gmail app.

Edited to Add
: I'm an idiot. I found the control. It wasn't under the general settings for the Gmail app. I had disable the notification sound for each account in the settings area of the app (about 5). Thanks again!

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This is absurd they tied them together, it may make it convenient in some cases but not all, I often have them separate and having to track down apps that link them
is a bit annoying to say the least. I'd used volume+ for the last two years, I'd just not got around to setting sound profiles yet, Thanks for the heads up.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure this is a Android design change which Google changed starting with ICS. Very doubtful HTC has anything to do with this ...

JennJen01

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's so frustrating. With my Thunderbolt I could easily turn off all notifications with one quick setting change but still leave on the ringer. This was beneficial at night since I could only be woken up by a call. An extremely short sighted change to functionality.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This is inherent in Android since 4.0. It has nothing to do with HTC. Google did this, and it is incredibly misguided ...

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
This is inherent in Android since 4.0. It has nothing to do with HTC. Google did this, and it is incredibly misguided ...

This. Hopefully Google wises up one of these years and fixes it.

I posted a quasi-workaround here for use with Tasker. It's a phone calls-only profile that runs automatically overnight night. I can get any calls that come in and not get woken up by emails. I'd be happy to answer questions about it if anyone has any. I've also made some customizations since I posted that, that may be useful if anyone is interested.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
This. Hopefully Google wises up one of these years and fixes it.

I posted a quasi-workaround here for use with Tasker. It's a phone calls-only profile that runs automatically overnight night. I can get any calls that come in and not get woken up by emails. I'd be happy to answer questions about it if anyone has any. I've also made some customizations since I posted that, that may be useful if anyone is interested.
Is Tasker better than AutomateIt?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

hsilvia

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If you go into your text messages, then go into the settings (in text messages, not regular settings) then choose notifications and uncheck the sound. It's more steps then most phones but it works.

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I previously purchased MyProfiles Pro to use with my Thunderbolt to create a ring only profile at night. Still using it with my DNA, but as others have noticed, you can't separate notification sound control from ring control. My workaround has been to disable wifi and mobile data network in my "sleep" profile, then turn them back on with any other profile. With no data connection, I only have a phone :)

JJFlash

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

Not true. Here is the volumes setting on my Droid Razr on Android 4.1.2 which allows for setting the volume for notifications and ringtones independently. If Motorola can do, so can HTC.
Screenshot_2013-05-18-04-26-18.png

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
On the dna you can disable notifications n each app...but if you turn down ringer notification all other notifications change with it...I like to turn down my ringer at work and only have texts up high...This is not possible so far with dna...You are talking about other phones here and that may confuse some as what works on a Motorola will not work on an Htc

I use quick settings and even if i turn down ringer only, the text notif will show it is still turned up but not sound.