[ROM][MOD][THEME] Bean_Whiz-CM10 Updated 05/02/2014

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Explain the steps you went thru to get up to the Link2SD part of my instructions that I linked to in the first post.
Did you check md5 sum?
Did you put the folders from the zip where they needed to go?

There is no room for error in the instructions. They have to be followed to the letter. Any deviation from them spells all sorts of trouble.

Posted via Android Central App

...the md5 sum checked out. I printed out the instructions so I COULD follow them to the letter. Folders are in place where they should be. But after going through each individual step, Link2SD still would not make the script. SO, to take a guess as to what may have happened, I restored Mounts2SD and tried to get that going. I got a message saying that my device was "S-On protected, which means that the application cannot write to the system partition from within Android". This is something I'd never heard of before at all. For that matter, I've never even had this happen before. Not with the older 2.2.2CX version of this ROM or any other ROM. This S-On matter is something completely new, and it seems to have only happened with the current 2.2.4 version of this ROM.

...scrap. After doing a little research into what S-On means, it seems that this could be nand-locked. I'm not entirely sure if that's the case, but it seems likely since I have two other ROMs where Link2SD makes the script just fine (an old CM7-based one called Joylicious Optimus (which doesn't seem to like having a lot of apps, so I'd hate to see how regular CM7 would behave), and bigsupersquid's CM11 (internal KitKat) are also stored in my SD card). This one's the only one that seems locked out.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Your the only one having this problem.
It could be your sd card has some corruption. It will make all sorts of weird problems pop up.

If you can transfer contents to your computer, then format both partitions.
Also: Make sure that both partitions are set to primary.

Note: If you are using an sd card that has been partitioned for the OS2SD KitKat, then you must first select to delete all partitions but the FAT32 using Mini Tool. Then select the apply arrow. This will merge everything into one FAT32 partition. Format this, then select to split the partition (so you have 1GB for an 8GB sd card, or 1.5GB for bigger sd cards to the right of the splitter). Now select to create the unallocated partition (select ext.4 and primary). Select the apply arrow (will take a while depending on how much free RAM you have).

Move everything back to sd card. Do a fresh install, and now Link2SD will work.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Your the only one having this problem.
It could be your sd card has some corruption. It will make all sorts of weird problems pop up.

If you can transfer contents to your computer, then format both partitions.
Also: Make sure that both partitions are set to primary.

Hmmm. It probably is the SD card showing some signs of corruption or maybe even being on its way to checking out. I probably will take a gamble on trying to transfer the contents to the computer in order to reformat the partitions, except these crappy library computers are slower than a snail smoking weed. (Twice before, I've been burned and lost a *lot* of stuff due to the transfer back to the SD card taking far longer than necessary and not having anywhere nearly enough time for it to properly complete)

AndyOpie150 said:
Note: If you are using an sd card that has been partitioned for the OS2SD KitKat, then you must first select to delete all partitions but the FAT32 using Mini Tool. Then select the apply arrow. This will merge everything into one FAT32 partition. Format this, then select to split the partition (so you have 1GB for an 8GB sd card, or 1.5GB for bigger sd cards to the right of the splitter). Now select to create the unallocated partition (select ext.4 and primary). Select the apply arrow (will take a while depending on how much free RAM you have).

Move everything back to sd card. Do a fresh install, and now Link2SD will work.

As for KitKat, I've only been using the internal version.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a friend wth a newer computer with gobs of RAM?
I would avoid those library computers if they do that.

Which recovery are you using to flash the ROM?

zwhirl

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
re: Link2SD mount script error...can't unmount /data/sdext2: Invalid Argument

SD card seems to be a factor with this error, in my experience.

My 16GB Class 10 SanDisk Ultra will not allow mount script to be created whatsoever (tried a gazillion times both rebooting and reformatting/reflashing from scratch). I recently bought a 16GB Class 6 Samsung and it was like pulling teeth: tried multiple reboots, soft reboots and mount script recreates. If I recall, a Link2SD soft reboot, followed by an immediate recreate mount script, followed by a full reboot finally did the trick.

By contrast, the 2GB factory LG SD card that came with the phone worked flawlessly and Link2SD successfully created the mount script on the first attempt.

I'd definitely stick with a Class 2 or Class 4 SD card when using this ROM, preferably SanDisk.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
which root uninstaller app would be recommended ? I installed 2 (like the first and second in PlayStore) and neither had the option to "full backup" as per page3 of this thread. One needed to be the PRO version to be able to do this. Needless to say, I uninstalled both.
thx

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
which root uninstaller app would be recommended ? I installed 2 (like the first and second in PlayStore) and neither had the option to "full backup" as per page3 of this thread. One needed to be the PRO version to be able to do this. Needless to say, I uninstalled both.
thx

I use Titanium Backup to backup and uninstall apps whenever I root a device. I freeze for testing, then backup anything before uninstalling. The PRO key is necessary to unleash the full power of TB, but it's worth the money. I paid for it shortly after I first rooted my V around November, 2011 and have never had to pay for it again.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I use Titanium Backup to backup and uninstall apps whenever I root a device. I freeze for testing, then backup anything before uninstalling. The PRO key is necessary to unleash the full power of TB, but it's worth the money. I paid for it shortly after I first rooted my V around November, 2011 and have never had to pay for it again.
I was under the impression that a "root uninstaller" was needed as stated in the setup procedures...You're referring to a app backup app--I have/use MyBackupRoot.
Thought something else was needed.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Root Uninstaller regular version will backup all apps in their apk form to a folder it makes on the SD card. You must select Auto Backup from the settings.

The Pro version just lets you install those apk's from the app. This is really not necessary if you have a file manager.

Titanium Backup sometimes hangs on installing some apps. That's what Root Uninstaller is used for in my instructions, but is great for reinstalling an app that got borked from an update.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is a problem. You need to use the recovery from the first post.
I made a flashable zipped version.
Download it and move it to the root of the sd card.
Go to your current recovery and install like a ROM (just don't wipe or format anything).
Then go to the advanced section and select to reboot recovery. It will now boot into the proper recovery for installing Bean_Whiz.

When you want to install the philz recovery for installing bigsupersquids KitKat ROM just do the same thing with it's flashable zipped version.

Way faster than typing in all the code from a terminal emulator.

troyguitarman

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
dude the file structure is messed up, I unzipped with winrar, deleted the data file, rezipped it so that it is at the top of the directory tree. wala it works. What u did to the slim rom I don't know, i didn't do all that cachewipe crap, the keyboard thing is already built into the rom. just delete the data out of the zip and rezip it. it will work. hope this makes it easier on someone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred