ARCHIVED: [ROM] Stock Virgin Mobile + Xionia Kernel (BETA 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Now if only I could figure out how to stop my Optimus V from unmounting the SD card. Happens on this ROM, Stock, and Rodimus.

Where did you format the card?
What card?

I always advise formatting the card in the device you plan to use it in. Beyond that, it could be a bad card (or port) or incompatible card.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got a question. After flashing, the text notification sound is some (quite beautiful) violin music. It's set for the default "Android Beat Box" but that is no where near what I'm hearing. I really don't mind, as I like the music, but it still makes me curious. Any ideas as to what is going on? :confused:

rockneo

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So far it seems like everyone is having issues or bashing this rom, I think it's simple and gets down to the point, it's meant for speed, and it does just that, works beautifully, thank you.

punking

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
This is my first android phone, so this is the first time I've rooted one and installed a custom rom. I haven't had any problems with it. I like it

brokdikdog

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
This ROM is pretty sweet coming from the stock rooted virgin. Tried flashing the newer Kernel from zefie, 008, but it broke the accelerometer. This one fixes that but the charging bug sucks. Never had a problem charging the virgin stock. It was pretty amazing how fast the stock charged compared to all my previous Android phones. However with this ROM the phone barely charges at all.

I wiped everything before I flashed and pulling the battery doesn't fix it. I installed current widget and it shows 0mA while charging. If I turn on tether and plug in the phone it actually loses 1% every 30 minutes or so. Has anyone found any info on how to correct this yet?

VulpesImbris

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be having an issue with my SD card's mounting since install, (it'll spontaneously unmount for seemingly no reason), but other than that, very stable! This is the first custom rom I've flashed, and I'm pretty impressed!

Linpack scores as requested (I used setCPU to overclock stably to 806mHz)
MFLOPS - 9.512
Time - 8.81 (seconds)
Norm Res - 5.68
Precision - 2.220446049250313E-16

snsethy

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I installed this rom a few days ago, and have been noticing that apps seem to be randomly disappearing and I have to restore them from a backup. Any idea why this is happening, and how I can stop it?

santino405

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I installed this rom a few days ago, and have been noticing that apps seem to be randomly disappearing and I have to restore them from a backup. Any idea why this is happening, and how I can stop it?

This happens to me on stock as well. If the app is installed on the sd card you can try remounting the sd card. If its not then you could try clearing out the cache and rebooting. Usually when this happens you can see the app package on the applications settings. It would should up as "com."appname".pub" or something like that.

I dont know what causes or how to stop it from happening, but its def not this rom in particular since it has happened to be on stock.

idbl_fanatic

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to install this, and I am getting

Installation aborted
Xionia-VM.zip bad

**EDIT**
N/M it didn't download the complete zip file

Question..............Why is it, that if this ROM has bloatware removed, that I have less space now then I did with the stock ROM?

Last edited:

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a silly question, but since I'd rather be called cautious than careless, I'll ask anyway..

From the ROMtools page it appears that simply flashing the appropriate recovery image (the xionia_cwma_12518.6.img apparently for this kernel) and then flashing this rom will give root privileges so I would not need to do the SuperOneClick method as listed in the sticky thread on 'how to root'. Am I correct in thinking this?

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
This is probably a silly question, but since I'd rather be called cautious than careless, I'll ask anyway..

From the ROMtools page it appears that simply flashing the appropriate recovery image (the xionia_cwma_12518.6.img apparently for this kernel) and then flashing this rom will give root privileges so I would not need to do the SuperOneClick method as listed in the sticky thread on 'how to root'. Am I correct in thinking this?

yes. RomTools simplifies the root and custom ROM process to where SuperOneClick doesnt need to be used standalone.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to install this, and I am getting

Installation aborted
Xionia-VM.zip bad

**EDIT**
N/M it didn't download the complete zip file

Question..............Why is it, that if this ROM has bloatware removed, that I have less space now then I did with the stock ROM?
If you didn't wipe first, then yes, you will have less, stuff is still stuck in the phone.

Also, while a lot of junk was removed, it wasn't stripped clean. Not to mention certain apps included in it have had updates, many of which are several megs and they don't remove the old versions in all cases. Remember, this was one of the first roms we could get.

Liath

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a link to the complete Virgin Mobile Optimus V stock rom with no mods? I'm not sure if I may have messed things up -- I force uninstalled some apps and jic I wonder if anyone has a completely unmodified ROM

Odd_Duck

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
sry newb here. just rooted my phone..how do I install the rom and kernel?

This is my first attempt also. I finally got SuperOneClick to work ... i used the older drivers from a forum post, but am wondering what to do next ... do i even need superoneclick for this? How do i flash ect.. where do i put the files that i have downloaded from this page the Xionia-VM.zip files? any help would be appreciated, I dont want to brick my first android phone,...

Thanx
-Odd

Helgaiden

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
This is my first attempt also. I finally got SuperOneClick to work ... i used the older drivers from a forum post, but am wondering what to do next ... do i even need superoneclick for this? How do i flash ect.. where do i put the files that i have downloaded from this page the Xionia-VM.zip files? any help would be appreciated, I dont want to brick my first android phone,...

Thanx
-Odd

ROMTools. Or read up and go a few pages back, ive got detailed instructions on manually doing this.

edit: you know what, im feeling generous.

Theres a few ways you can install that ROM...heres the way i did it... start here (only download the files at the bottom of the first post, dont follow the guide as ive taken part of the instructions from it already)
http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html

The files the guide says to download put on the root of the SD card, and also unpack their contents into the root of the SD card as well (the unpacking is more important).

The first page of the "how to root the optimus v" has all the links to the stuff you really need but i included it without links in this writeup for you...

What You'll Need:
- Sun JDK
- The Android SDK, . Install this on the root of your computer so the path is C:/android. After you've installed the SDK, make sure it's up to date by launching the SDK Manager. This will be something like c:\android\SDK Manager.exe. It will ask you to update several things, but the only one that needs to be up to date is the SDK Platform for Android 2.2
- Drivers for the LG phone installed on your computer.
- SuperOneClick v1.6.3, which is available from xda-developers
- And the file I have attached to this post. Download it, unzip it, and put the 2 files inside in your android\platform-tools folder created from installing the SDK.

Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging

Step 3: Run SuperOneClick.exe. Select the psneuter exploit on the right, and then click the Shell Root button. SuperOneClick will attempt to gain a temporary root for your phone. This may take several tries. Keep trying until you get a message that says "You phone has a Temp ADB Root". Leave this window open, do not reboot your phone, and[/SIZE]continue to step 4.

Step 4: ADB into your phone.

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img

# reboot recovery

Then once in recovery, wipe everything (cache, dalvik, whatever you want) then flash the Xionia-VM rom via "install zip from sd card". Done.

The other way would be using ROMTools.

1. Root
2. Install CWMA recovery via ROMTools (or another method)
3. Nandroid backup and/or Titanium Backup
4. Rename 'Xionia-VM' (or Rodimus or whatever rom you choose) to 'ROM' and place in 'rom' folder (in ROMTools)
5. Choose option #1 in ROMTools and wait until rebooted

Reactions: Odd_Duck

Odd_Duck

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Neither of these methods have worked ... When i tried method 1 i did the super one click and I got temp root did the copy paste and it went through the what looked like cmd line process ... it did not reboot however ... i rebooted into recovery and deleted everything and it was not saved ..(nothing too important was lost) i deleted and wiped cache.

Then I tried the second way ... I have renamed the file Xionia to ROM, and rom.zip ect ... and got the error in recovery of:

can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 or ../block/mmcblk0 , no such file or dir.
then
cant mount sdcard: rom.zip install aborted no valid image in cache

**** I seem to have forgoten to get the CWMA section, once i installed that it all worked ...***

***** Thanx noe all i need to do is learn how to install gingerbread, hopefully its almost as easy *****

Thanx
-Odd

Last edited:

smegal1215

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
how do u guys know how to do all this stuff? i get confused just reading these forums, and a little jealous, because i want cool stuff lol.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
how do u guys know how to do all this stuff? i get confused just reading these forums, and a little jealous, because i want cool stuff lol.

We all started where you are.
Just go at your own pace.

Get your phone rooted, and understand that part first.
Then move onto a custom rom.
Form there, the sky is the limit, but you need to root, and you REALLY should understand what rooting means and does before you move onto the next step.

spunky466

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be having an issue with my SD card's mounting since install, (it'll spontaneously unmount for seemingly no reason), but other than that, very stable! This is the first custom rom I've flashed, and I'm pretty impressed!

Linpack scores as requested (I used setCPU to overclock stably to 806mHz)
MFLOPS - 9.512
Time - 8.81 (seconds)
Norm Res - 5.68
Precision - 2.220446049250313E-16

I have been having the same issue with this rom but other then that Im currently loving how it works. Anybody else having this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg