acastillo85

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Root - Stock AT&T 4.5.91 (2.3.4 Gingerbread) unrooted w/ lock

Root Stock AT&T 4.5.91 (2.3.4 Gingerbread) unrooted w/ locked bootloader

[INFO]

• Download root image HERE

• Download ADB-Fastboot package HERE

• Unzip the contents of ADB-Fastboot package and root image to your C: Drive under a new folder titled root

• Turn off your device

• Hold down the power button and downward volume button until you see ?Fastboot? on your screen ? Push the upward volume button to start it
  • Open the Command Prompt on your computer
  • Type the following commands
[/INFO]

[INFO] cd C:\root
fastboot flash preinstall root.img
fastboot reboot

[/INFO]
  • Your phone will reboot. Once complete, ensure USB Debugging is enabled
  • Select "None" for USB mode. After link is made, return to command prompt and enter these:
[INFO] adb shell
/preinstall/dosu (You will see this error, but that is ok: "bash: groups: command not found root@localhost:/#")

There are deliberate spaces between some of the paths and the / in this next section
/bin/mount /system -o remount,rw
cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk
[/INFO]
If Superuser is already installed, this part may fail. If you do not already have it and this part fails, download it from the Market.
  • Type "exit" and hit enter three times until the command prompt closes.
  • Unplug your phone
  • You should now be rooted!
[TIP]
Courtesy of : RootzWiki[/TIP]

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: RootzWiki nor Android Central not I are liable or responsible for any damages to your phones, you do so at your discretion[/WARN]
very nice! High Five!!:cool:

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm in the Air Force and I ended up being stationed in Guam. I would like to use my Atrix with one of the local cell phone companies would this be the correct thing to do to be able to use my Atrix with another cell phone company?

No, you need your phone "Carrier unlocked" also known as SIM unlock. Many cell phone stores will do this for a few bucks, or websites online can get you the code. When you put a different phone provider's SIM in and boot your phone it asks for the unlock code, if you got it from a site online that's where you'd enter it.

omsw

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Are there instructions and applicable files for rooting through a Mac. And then, for re-stating the Mobile Hotspot capabilities available before latest update.

Thanks in advance.

cpatel112

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Superuser must be installed first, prior to doing all the steps?

creed106

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I am new to android, have never rooted one. I have an atrix, I got one week ago new with 2.2 froyo on it, I upgraded to 4.5.91 gingerbread. My question is do I use these instructions to root mine, or is something different because I have already upgraded once?

Any help is appreciated
Chris

klquicksall

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

I am new to android, have never rooted one. I have an atrix, I got one week ago new with 2.2 froyo on it, I upgraded to 4.5.91 gingerbread. My question is do I use these instructions to root mine, or is something different because I have already upgraded once?

Any help is appreciated
Chris

this root method is mainly for if you did upgrade to 2.3.4. I did and it worked just fine.

creed106

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

OK thanks for the reply. I've been reading about it, so as long as I don't try to downgrade later everything is fine?

pgsmith

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I believe CWM is available. There's a thread on xda that has an automated script to unlock bl, root, enable tethering, enable webtop hack, and install CWM all in one package.

Can you post a link, and as someone else asked does this unlock the boot loader.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

hi guys I cant seem to find a definite answer to this anywhere... is it possible to unroot the phone? how would I go about unrooting it? has anyone tried to unroot and if it was successful? I want to root my phone but I need to know exactly if it can be reversed later at any moment. thanks!

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

noone has an answer? interesting.. im planning to install Chainfire 3D and it requires root. hasnt anyone unrooted their Atrix on 4.5.91 build?

Keepinitdroid

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I dont know what Iam doing wrong... the first step works Then i reboot the device then i type adb comand and it give me an error right away.. I trieed closing comand prompt, ive trued redoing everything i dont know mybe i have a special Phone lol sorry for bad typing my son is in my lap...

I will retry this and let you know what happens but if someone could giveme some info of what i could try doing or am doing wrong I feel like im being a dumbarse:p

*EDIT* After rebooting from fast boot i never checked NONE for usb mode... so yes i was a dumbarse lol

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HARD WORK CUZ THIS WORKS!!

Last edited:

altared90319

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Mine just gets stuck at (waiting for device) My phone says "starting fastboot protocol support" but does nothing. I have superuser and usb debugging on. what am i doing wrong????