Rooted Nook HD or Nexus 7? $140 vs. $200?

elmsley4

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
B&N is selling their 7" Nook for about $140.
OfficeMax recently had a 20% off on tablets, and people were getting the 32gb Nexus 7 for $200.

I can root the Nook to act almost exactly like a Nexus 7, but I don't believe the nook can do the following:
* GPS navigation
* Camera
* OTA updates

Pros of Nook:
* Price
* Expandable SD card???

So for +$60, I get the Nexus 7. Is it worth it??? Will I get OTA updates if I root? Should I wait for the Nexus 7 2?

Thanks!

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
B&N is selling their 7" Nook for about $140.
OfficeMax recently had a 20% off on tablets, and people were getting the 32gb Nexus 7 for $200.

I can root the Nook to act almost exactly like a Nexus 7, but I don't believe the nook can do the following:
* GPS navigation
* Camera
* OTA updates

Pros of Nook:
* Price
* Expandable SD card???

So for +$60, I get the Nexus 7. Is it worth it??? Will I get OTA updates if I root? Should I wait for the Nexus 7 2?

Thanks!

You will get OTA updates if you use https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rg.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&token=-Wu_8rn-

Though, from the reports I heard, you should probably wait to see if there is a Nexus 7 remake.

Also, there are rumors that B&N will be selling their Nook line, not to mention they don't really update the OS as often as a normal device. IMHO I think you should definitely wait. But a Nexus will always be a better device than a Nook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
You will get OTA updates if you use https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rg.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper&token=bvBHnKBc

Though, from the reports I heard, you should probably wait to see if there is a Nexus 7 remake.

Also, there are rumors that B&N will be selling their Nook line, not to mention they don't really update the OS as often as a normal device. IMHO I think you should definitely wait. But a Nexus will always be a better device than a Nook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Believe the 7" Nook HD might be $129 but it has some drawbacks and I am not interested in it. I am interested in the larger Nook HDplus at $149 for the 16 GB or $179 for the 32GB.

The Nook HDplus is a 9" tablet, actually with a 5" by 7.5 " screen giving it a 1.5 aspect ratio and thus is much bigger than the N7 but not as big as the N10 or the iPad. It has a retina quality screen and good speakers. With a $25 accessory cable you can get HDMI out of the proprietary port. It is currently running Android 4.0 but you can get an OTA cyanogen mod to 4.1 for $20 if you choose. It has no GPS or bluetooth capabilities. Has access to Google Play World and you can use a variety of book readers on it. Think it may only have 2.4 GHz wireless. It weighs something like 18 ounces which is fairly light for its size. If you want a bigger tablet to do mostly reading and movies it is certainly worth looking at and you can install most games. No OTG at this point but up to 32 GB SD card. This big discount is supposedly for fathers day and ends this week. Yes B&Ns future may be in question. Microsoft made a big investment in them and may have an interest.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d-plus-barnes-noble/1110060512&token=UagPJl9C

from a BB Playbook or HP Touchpad or N7

Last edited:

elmsley4

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Interesting points.

I think it'll be best to wait a few months to see about the Nexus 7 v.2 or the ipad mini retina (which will drop the price of the current ipad mini).

A little unfortunate as I'm driving to Cali from Chicago soon, and it'd be nice to burn some movies!

Cheers, and thanks!

-JRG

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the nook Hd+, and like it a lot. But the nook HD isn't really a nexus 7 competitor. The sero pro at about $150 is a better competitor.

Sent from my Nook HD+

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Picked up the Nook HD+ at the local Walmart on Wednesday to give as a present. Got the 32GB for $179. Still researching but so far the main downside is that it has the proprietary 30 pin connector and if you want to use the HDMI you have to put out about $25 for the proprietary cable. It has no camera or gps but does support Bluetooth said to be 4.0 in one review. A good ereader review shows Nova and a couple of other launchers installed and you can put several different book readers on it and pretty much any app from Google play except those requiring camera or GPS. The speakers are said to be OK although maybe not quite as good as those on the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD. The WiFi is only on the 2.4 GHz band and the reception is said to be poorer than on the Kindle unit which has dual band WiFi. Battery life seems to be OK but for some reason the B&N people have not released info on the size of the battery. Have thirty days to return it if it doesn't meet with approval from the giftee.

The fathers day special runs out this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daah1R5a2nk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

from a BB Playbook or HP Touchpad or N7

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals41