Rooting a Samsung Galaxy tablet

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had much success rooting a Samsung Galaxy tablet? Other Android devices have been successfully rooted. Rooting involves a number of steps that gives the end user complete control over the device. A major flaw of this tablet, in my opinion, is the poor use of external memory for example. This can be changed by rooting. But a drawback in rooting any device is the possibility that you could render your device useless, which is called bricking.

I have read that rooting a tablet allows the user to become a super user, or su. If you are a su, then apparently you can change the install location from a zero which is internal to a 1 which is external. That means all new apps are automatically installed on the SD card. It is not a simple process and involves several detailed steps. I stopped at the rooting step.

Anyone out there that has tried rooting a Samsung Galaxy tablet? Can you still update your tablet OS? Success? Fail?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I always thought that rooting disables OTA updates and voids the warranty. Is this not the case? As much as I would love to be in complete control over my Tab I am not prepared to kill the warranty or risk bricking the device just yet.

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Guys, it really is not that hard to root. There are quite a few methods available that are just about one command or click and you are done. If all that is desired is root, then it's pretty simple. Adding Custom Recovery or ROM is where you can run into some trouble if you do not follow instructions, however even this is still relatively easy nowadays. I personally root all of my devices, phone and tablets, immediately out of the box. Does this void warranty? well technically yes, but it is also extremely easy to get back to stock as well if needed. There are well documented tools that will allow you to restore your device back to factory and reset it so that and root detector is reset. This goes for Samsung Tab as well.

Anyway as mentioned, root is easy. Go over to XDA forums and see the thread for CF-Autoroot. This will simply give you root and nothing more. Then you can easily solve your storage problems. As mentioned if you ever need to you can easily restore your system back to factory image. This info can also be found over at XDA. Read up as it's really not that hard and plenty of folks to assist if stuck.

Benefits of rooting besides storage issue is the ability to remove and freeze any apps built into the ROM. Get the app Titanium Backup and it will allow you to backup individual apps. This is great for backing up and moving apps and associated data from one device to another. Additionally can restore an app back in the event an update is buggy or no good. Also allows backing up of system data such as Contacts, emails, SMS messages, Wifi settings / connections, Bluetooth pairings, etc. This app is invaluable for migrating from one phone to another. Again, benefit of rooting.

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Guys, it really is not that hard to root. There are quite a few methods available that are just about one command or click and you are done. If all that is desired is root, then it's pretty simple. Adding Custom Recovery or ROM is where you can run into some trouble if you do not follow instructions, however even this is still relatively easy nowadays. I personally root all of my devices, phone and tablets, immediately out of the box. Does this void warranty? well technically yes, but it is also extremely easy to get back to stock as well if needed. There are well documented tools that will allow you to restore your device back to factory and reset it so that and root detector is reset. This goes for Samsung Tab as well.

Anyway as mentioned, root is easy. Go over to XDA forums and see the thread for CF-Autoroot. This will simply give you root and nothing more. Then you can easily solve your storage problems. As mentioned if you ever need to you can easily restore your system back to factory image. This info can also be found over at XDA. Read up as it's really not that hard and plenty of folks to assist if stuck.

Benefits of rooting besides storage issue is the ability to remove and freeze any apps built into the ROM. Get the app Titanium Backup and it will allow you to backup individual apps. This is great for backing up and moving apps and associated data from one device to another. Additionally can restore an app back in the event an update is buggy or no good. Also allows backing up of system data such as Contacts, emails, SMS messages, Wifi settings / connections, Bluetooth pairings, etc. This app is invaluable for migrating from one phone to another. Again, benefit of rooting.

I can't even find the XDA forum. It's not listed under forums. Unless you mean http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab

The main page is
https://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

Which I found my exact model number for my Samsung Galaxy Tab S.

Last edited:

arbywan

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
So, I rooted my tablet great, now how do I get rid of some of this bloatware? Is there some app I need to install after rooting my tablet? Oh, anyone know how to configure adoptable storage for Lollipop or should I just wait for Marshmallow?

:confused::confused:

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
So, I rooted my tablet great, now how do I get rid of some of this bloatware? Is there some app I need to install after rooting my tablet? Oh, anyone know how to configure adoptable storage for Lollipop or should I just wait for Marshmallow?

:confused::confused:

And what did you use to root your tablet?
What bloatware are you referring to?

Warhammer486

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I used the Mini Tool Partition Wizard on the PC to set up my SD card after rooting my tablet. This allowed me to then use Link2SD to have my apps install on the SD card, freeing up the 16gb of internal memory on my tablet.

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I used the Mini Tool Partition Wizard on the PC to set up my SD card after rooting my tablet. This allowed me to then use Link2SD to have my apps install on the SD card, freeing up the 16gb of internal memory on my tablet.

And what steps did you take to actually root your tablet?
My Samsung tablet is supposed to have been rooted too but the Root Checker app tells me that it is not rooted.
I have tried a few different rooting methods and none of them work.

Deefsail

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
somebody sent me a private message but I have no way of replying to that person. I log into Android Central and there is no option for viewing private messages or responding to them.

Anyways, I also had a problem with a bootloader accepting the download. There is a certain key combination you have to press in order to restart the tablet so that the bootloader will try to accept the download. After a few attempts there was one other small thing that I discovered and it finally worked, but that was a year ago and now I can't remember what it was. Sorry. I just remember that the instructions weren't exactly perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fakharzaman003