S Note syncing from Original 10.1 Note

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone gotten their notes from an original Note 10.1 to sync over to the 2014 Note 10.1? My Notes are showing the cloud icon in the corner and my sync settings are indicating that a sync is taking place but my notes aren't showing up.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've heard that the original notes are not compatible with the 2014 Note 10.1. I've also noticed that my Note 8.0 notes don't show up on my 10.1. There's are 2 different file extensions .snp and .snb.

ddavtian

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You can import old notes into new S Note ( import option) and edit them. But new format is not backwards compatible. You can view new format notes on original 10.1 or on Note 8 using "News Note viewer" app from Samsung apps.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There's no issue... You CAN use your older notes in the Note 10.1 2014, you just have to import them (they won't sync automatically at first). However, when you import them you will notice that the software tells you it's converting them to the newer format. This means that the notes you create on the Note 10.1 2014 (or an S4 or Note 3) will NOT be compatible with older versions of S-Note.

Bigdave18629

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
There's no issue... You CAN use your older notes in the Note 10.1 2014, you just have to import them (they won't sync automatically at first). However, when you import them you will notice that the software tells you it's converting them to the newer format. This means that the notes you create on the Note 10.1 2014 (or an S4 or Note 3) will NOT be compatible with older versions of S-Note.

So, there is a problem, one way compatibility is not what Syncing is all about. If the Note 3 and 10.1 2014 "sync" (and they truly do) then there is an issue with the S-note version on the 8 that does not all it to Sync with other devices. This is a substantial oversight in my opinion and one that could easily be resolved with a software update. What good does it do to have the same document/note book or note exist in two different forms that are not compatible coming from the "same program"?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Granted, but that wasn't the issue in the OP :p But yes, whatever you do in the new version of S-Notes does not become editable on older ones. But again, this is a new version of the software, so you can't really expect backwards compatibility. I've made this comparison before but it still applies: You COULD expect PS2 discs to work with a PS3, but you CAN'T expect PS3 discs to work with a PS2. You can play a DVD in a BluRay player but not the other way around, right? You can open DOC documents in newer versions of Office but not DOCX files in older ones. Same thing here.

V5RED

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Granted, but that wasn't the issue in the OP :p But yes, whatever you do in the new version of S-Notes does not become editable on older ones. But again, this is a new version of the software, so you can't really expect backwards compatibility. I've made this comparison before but it still applies: You COULD expect PS2 discs to work with a PS3, but you CAN'T expect PS3 discs to work with a PS2. You can play a DVD in a BluRay player but not the other way around, right? You can open DOC documents in newer versions of Office but not DOCX files in older ones. Same thing here.
From what I have read, there is a big difference with the DOC vs DOCX analogy in that newer versions of office can read DOC files without converting them to DOCX and they can save the documents as DOC files. The new Note converts the file into the new format and renders it unusable for older models. This would present a problem for group projects unless everyone is using the same version of the Note.

Bigdave18629

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess the OP :p issue would be the definition of Sync, which in my mind is two way communications but I guess you could say one way is a Sync, but I don't agree with that assessment. The comparison to PS2/3 and DVD/BlueRay are hardware related and really not relevant to a software issue. SpookDroid made a very good point in the fact that the software is backward compatible in every way, but to take that one step further to fix the situation completely .....you just upgrade the software....that is all I would like to see. This is not device related, this is purely a software issue that could and should be addressed, even if for a small fee. If I want a DOCX file, it is an easy remedy and backwards compatible for over a decade.

martyn5553

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I have just got note4 & have note8, i use S notes alot & now they dont sync because they use 2 diff versions!, thats no good to me! Why cant samsung release newer version for note8 (crazy)

Posted via Android Central App

Bigdave18629

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't agree more! My 8 is now a game machine due to the lack of forward compatibility. Do you know if it the 4 syncs with the note 10.1 2014 or the 12.1? I just wonder how they approaching the world moving forward.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582