S-Pen issue or Note 9 issue?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello there everyone,

I'm having this really strange and frustrating issue with either the s pen or my note 9. I take my note with me in the shower to listen to music and it occasionally gets wet but I have never submerged my phone or anything thing like that. And whenever i leave the shower I clean and dry my phone as best as I can including the s pen and the slot. The other day after showering I was in a rush and didn't dry my phone off properly but thought nothing of it till later when I came back to get my phone. After getting my phone and cleaning it fully including the s pen and slot, I noticed that afterwards my phone was acting strange. It was was going over to the camera app and taking photos. And restarting my phone multiple time it stopped and then I noticed that the s pen was not reacting properly at all. It was following my movements as I could see with the cursor, but the remote functions and whenever I clicked on the screen it would do random things and act sporadic. And on top of that since taking the pen out once after cleaning it it says that the s pen is not connected to the phone and it will not let me reset and reconnect the s pen. Please help!!

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
My guess is that your problems have to do with getting your Note 9 wet.

Unfortunately there in no "safe" way to get a smartphone wet.

Smartphones need to be kept away from all moisture as much as possible.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Water resistant means about 2psi. Even a restricted shower head produces over 15psi, so the water can get into the phone. I'm afraid that Note 9 is going to keep getting worse over time, until it just quits.

As @kct1975 almost said, ALL electronic devices need to be kept away from all moisture as much as possible. If you have to take a phone into the shower, put the phone into a zip lock bag, zip it shut, then put that bag into another one zip end first, and zip it shut. And don't hold it under the falling water even then. (Just the water vapor in the shower can get into the phone if it's not protected, and when the phone cools off, the vapor condenses, and you have water inside the phone - which causes eventual corrosion.)

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I would of thought with IP68 rating, this should not be an issue which includes spen in slot or not. I guess things do happen. Maybe the rice trick for a day or two would help. Good luck

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My guess is water got trapped in the s pen slot and damaged the pen and probably the phone itself. It's water resistant, but hot pressurized water and steam are not the same as setting it in calm water.

Thinair1911

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
What's wrong with using a shower rated blue tooth speaker? Then you don't have to take the phone any where near the water. ;]

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with using a shower rated blue tooth speaker? Then you don't have to take the phone any where near the water. ;]
Also as a sort of Public Service Announcement...

If you do have to take your phone into a Bathroom while you are taking a shower , as have had to do on several occasions, make sure that you leave the smartphone on the counter as close to the door of the bathroom as possible and leave the door of the bathroom open to let the steam from the shower out so that it won't get into your phone.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Try the rice. A reboot or reset might help as well.
If those don't work, you may need a new phone.

After my cat accident and my legs in bad shape, I put my cell phone in a zipper bag by my shower. Door closed, but fan on. Making sure it wouldn't get wet. I recently got a free bag from work that you roll down the top to store the phone in (my manager said he uses them for boating and to store the phone). Those seem to work fine. I probably don't need it now, but I have it just in case. That's an option if needed.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello there everyone,

I'm having this really strange and frustrating issue with either the s pen or my note 9. I take my note with me in the shower to listen to music and it occasionally gets wet but I have never submerged my phone or anything thing like that. And whenever i leave the shower I clean and dry my phone as best as I can including the s pen and the slot. The other day after showering I was in a rush and didn't dry my phone off properly but thought nothing of it till later when I came back to get my phone. After getting my phone and cleaning it fully including the s pen and slot, I noticed that afterwards my phone was acting strange. It was was going over to the camera app and taking photos. And restarting my phone multiple time it stopped and then I noticed that the s pen was not reacting properly at all. It was following my movements as I could see with the cursor, but the remote functions and whenever I clicked on the screen it would do random things and act sporadic. And on top of that since taking the pen out once after cleaning it it says that the s pen is not connected to the phone and it will not let me reset and reconnect the s pen. Please help!!

My phones are never deliberately taken near water. I don't even take them into the kitchen.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't do that. Problem solved, that was easy. Buy a cheap waterproof Bluetooth shower speaker and leave your $1,000 phone outside of the shower on the dry table.

Exactly. I bought a $20 waterproof bluetooth speaker off Amazon that works great in the shower. No way in hell would I ever put my $1250 phone in the shower. I don't care what it is advertised for. My phone is far away from water when I listen to music in the shower. They make speakers that are easily made for this and cheap to replace as opposed to a water damaged phone

Rock Hydra

Feb 26, 2019
Visit site
Look no further than Samsung's opinion on whether wetting the phone is something Samsung even stands behind from a warranty standpoint. Even if it's water resistant, Samsung doesn't seem to want to officially warranty repair water damage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190225-214242_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190225-214242_Samsung Internet.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 13

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
No manufacturer would cover water damage, no matter how water resistant they claim their devices to be. water damage is still customer damage and therefore voids the warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali