S10 not receiving/displaying notifications while screen off and AOD on?

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My phone has developed an affliction over the last couple weeks. Didn't used to be a problem, but now, my phone doesn't receive or display notifications once the screen has been off for a period of time. I have the AOD always on. What happens is that after a certain period of time of the screen being off and AOD turned on...I'll pick up the phone and see no notifications of anything...then about 2 seconds after I unlock the phone, I get lit up with email and app notifications of all kinds from across the time it was off. I haven't determined how long until it stops receiving them, as it seems random. It doesn't seem to affect phone calls or text message notifications...they all show up and/or ring normally...but it does affect pretty much any other app or email notification.

I've tried turning off all battery optimization and app power optimization, cleared app cache of everything that would typically send notifications, wiped the cache partition again (always do so immediately after s/w updates), made sure Data Saver hadn't gotten turned on...and nothing seems to help. I even thought maybe it was dropping connection to my home wireless router, so I've tried turning wireless off and leaving it on mobile data all day...which also had no effect.

Example...I just left my phone at home to go for a bike ride after work. Phone was sitting on desk for ~1 hour. Came back...no notifications on the AOD. Picked it up and unlocked it...immediately had four emails and three different app notifications appear on screen before I even opened any apps, all from the time I was out.

Sorry that got long winded...but has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any suggestions?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I know this is super late and maybe you've already figured it out but it sounds like your apps are being put to sleep. I know you mentioned turning off optimization and power saver but did you check to see if any of the offending apps appear in the sleep lists?

Settings>Device care>Battery>App power management>check Sleeping apps>check Deep sleeping apps.

I had a similar issue awhile back and as it turns out if Samsung asks if you'd like to put an app to sleep that will become the default. For me it was my POD cast app. I'd be listening to something and the screen would time out and my audio would stop. As soon as I open or even turned the display back on the audio would resume like nothing had happened.

If this is something you've already tried or still haven't gotten it back to normal, I want to say try it in Safe Mode but I'm not 100% things like AOD work in Safe Mode. It might be worth a try anyway. If AOD works in SM and your notifications return there's an app at the root of the issue. If it doesn't work it could be that it just doesn't work in SM or it could be pointing to a system problem...

Oh well in all of the things you mentioned you didn't mention those two...

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Good info here. I was having the same behavior with music apps. You know, you start a long song and there's not need to do anything to the phone, and the app just stops. Just changed my setting and hoping to lose this issue. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29