AOD and Good Lock not working right

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I think there's some crossed wires here. I believe the complaint is that AOD can't be changed independant of lock screen, not that people can't change it at all.

If you are able to have a different AOD clock and Lock screen clock at the same time, I think you're the only one.

@mlblack16 am I correct here?
Correct, at least I think

I attempted to open Good Lock, then clock face, selected that I wanted to change AOD. After selecting the desired clock face for AOD, I tapped to checkmark to confirm, but the AOD clock never changes.

The final time, I selected that I wanted to change lock screen clock and finally the change occurred to AOD clock face (obviously lock screen as well).

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Just got an update to Clockface which confirms my guess and essentially says it is functioning as intended and separate AOD and lock customisation isn't coming back any time soon. They have removed AOD customisation as an option for One UI 6.1.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got an update to Clockface which confirms my guess and essentially says it is functioning as intended and separate AOD and lock customisation isn't coming back any time soon. They have removed AOD customisation as an option for One UI 6.1.
Well, that bites the big one...

Reactions: runfar262

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
This is one of those caveats that really keep Samsung from being my daily driver... it's got apps and experiences that aren't coherent or have any synergy, like it's competing with itself, which makes the overall experience just so confusing sometimes.

Good Lock feels like a hack, or 3rd party app that goes against what Samsung wants, and because of that, you get conflicting ideas about what is and isn't possible. 6 days of tinkering, downloading apps and customizing features and it still doesn't feel like my phone.

Reactions: runfar262

runfar262

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a dork, it's been years since I enabled AOD on any of my phones. Back in the day, everyone was afraid of screen burn in. Is that still a thing? I am really liking everyone's AOD's and am tempted to enable that setting on my S24 Ultra.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a dork, it's been years since I enabled AOD on any of my phones. Back in the day, everyone was afraid of screen burn in. Is that still a thing? I am really liking everyone's AOD's and am tempted to enable that setting on my S24 Ultra.
Samsung shifts the icons , letters very slightly to prevent this , definitely give it a try

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Like @mustang7757 said, Samsung implements an image shift to prevent screen burn in. It is barely perceptible, just a few pixels at a time. I thought it was on by default. It also implements it on the status and navigation bars.

TrenxT

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm so freaking mad, I paid for a third party AOD which I can customize with different stuff and edge lighting but after latest Samsung update it stopped working all I get is a black screen. The Samsung AOD works fine but not the one I paid for. I downloaded 5 different ones and black screen . I'm pissed that's how it looked before Samsung forked everything up 🤬

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212_233551_Always On Edge.jpg
    Screenshot_20240212_233551_Always On Edge.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 38

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm so freaking mad, I paid for a third party AOD which I can customize with different stuff and edge lighting but after latest Samsung update it stopped working all I get is a black screen. The Samsung AOD works fine but not the one I paid for. I downloaded 5 different ones and black screen . I'm pissed that's how it looked before Samsung forked everything up
Which device do you have? When and where did you purchase these third-party AODs? I'm not aware of any updates for the S24 series yet. If you purchased the third-party AODs for an older device, it's possible that they aren't compatible with the S24 series. If that's the case, the developers will need to update their AOD apps.

Mkeditor

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm coming from a S10+ where you can control the brightness of the AOD. The S24 Ultra is very dim when off. Also notification icons are only white...actually, off white. I miss gmail and youtube being red, WhatsApp being green and Signal being blue. At a glance you could tell which notifications were displayed. Now I have to look closer. Phone upgrades shouldn't have less options. Hopefully this will be restored with an update.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Can't comment on the brightness issue. The AOD is doing the same thing it did on my previous S20 FE, so no complaints on that from me.

What I do agree with is the complaint about losing the notification icon colors. There are some that do still pick up the color - the USA Today icon is still blue. But all others are that pale gray or matching the color of the clock.

My email app used to pass the account color to the AOD. I set my home account for blue and work account to green. And the regular notification pop ups, or bubbles on the lock screen show the color, so I'll know which account an email is coming from at s glance.

But not now on the AOD. It'll show separate envelope icons from each account, but both are gray. Of course, if there are two, then I'd know I have messages waiting in both. If it's just a single icon, I can't tell which account it would be from like I used to.

Not earth-shattering, but a visual convenience that is now gone. I considered it a decent replacement for the LED notification light from the days of using my BlackBerry.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I can't seem to get Clock Face in Good Lock to add the clock face I want to the AOD. I also hate that it wants to put the lockscreen photo on my AOD. Also notifications on the AOD.
I want what I was able to do on my S22U. Like this.
View attachment 359221
i second to your comments, the GoodLook Clock Face was great for my S22U. i just upgraded to S24U and i am not at all impressed with what samsung did to AOD. also AOD is now missing in the latest Clock Face

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
AOD is definitely broken in UI 6.1. I only see the clock and some app icon(s), but icons are so dark that i can barely what apps.
Samsung really messed up AOD in UI 6.1

Last edited:

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Theme store for Samsung, when u long press empty page tap themes at the bottom AOD, yes works with Nova
fb23f062080380c888e5f92cc2a9f0cf.jpg
I picked a free AOD from Galaxy Themes.

the default AOD and the one i picked from the Galaxy Themese show the App Icons, but they are SO VERY DARK, you can hardly see what they are? i do not know how to take a screenshot of the AOD screen to upload it here.

i was able to use my old image in my S22U with UI 6.0, but i guess UI 6.1 changes removed that option - very sad about that.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I picked a free AOD from Galaxy Themes.

the default AOD and the one i picked from the Galaxy Themese show the App Icons, but they are SO VERY DARK, you can hardly see what they are? i do not know how to take a screenshot of the AOD screen to upload it here.

i was able to use my old image in my S22U with UI 6.0, but i guess UI 6.1 changes removed that option - very sad about that.
Yeah I'm not happy with AOD on 6.1
But try see if this toggle is off for dim wallpaper
b5b69d5c5671e08ed987554c3fe2e356.jpg

Reactions: BEaRebel

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to show up only when receiving a notification. It is definitely connected to the screen brightness wherever you have it set. If you're using auto brightness then it is tied to that also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali