S10 + or Note 9

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
So my current Samsung Note 5 is starting to have some problems and it looks like I am going to have to get a new phone

When the Samsung Note 9 came out I was going get it, when I saved up the money to do so.

Yesterday, however, I got a chance to look at the brand new Samsung S10+ and it seems to have a lot of the same specs as the Samsung Note 9.

So now I am debating whether to get the S10+ or the Note 9.

Currently I rarely use the S-Pen so that is not a factor in my decision.

The original reason I was considering the Note 9 was the Screen Size, the Storage space, the Headphone jack and the Stereo Speakers

It seems that the S10+ has all the features, but I am not sure.

So what are your thoughts

I am interested to hear what my esteemed colleagues think would be the best choice for me

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So my current Samsung Note 5 is starting to have some problems and it looks like I am going to have to get a new phone

When the Samsung Note 9 came out I was going get it, when I saved up the money to do so.

Yesterday, however, I got a chance to look at the brand new Samsung S10+ and it seems to have a lot of the same specs as the Samsung Note 9.

So now I am debating whether to get the S10+ or the Note 9.

Currently I rarely use the S-Pen so that is not a factor in my decision.

The original reason I was considering the Note 9 was the Screen Size, the Storage space, the Headphone jack and the Stereo Speakers

It seems that the S10+ has all the features, but I am not sure.

So what are your thoughts

I am interested to hear what my esteemed colleagues think would be the best choice for me

As you know I have the note 9 , and now also the s10+. If you dont use the spen then definitely go for s10. But s10+ will never replace my Note 9 only the next note is worthy .

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
One thing to consider is that the N9 is cheaper now. However if money is no object and you hardly use the S-Pen then I would go with the S10+. It has the same size screen as the N9 in a smaller frame. It has stereo speakers, a headphone jack, a larger battery, and a new 7nm processor. Hope this helps.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I just made the move to the S10+. If you think you'll find value with the spen then it's N9. That being said the S10+ would be the way to go otherwise, unless you don't want a punch out on your screen.

Truthfully speaking both devices are great and there is no wrong decision just a matter of what features on the devices suit your lifestyle best.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
IMO if you keep your devices a while you should get the latest and greatest. Especially if you wont use the spen a lot. Give you a little bit longer your device will get updates and stay relevant. My opinion. Good luck with your choice though.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you don't use the S-Pen then S10+ is a great device, same size screen but slightly smaller. Also slightly better hardware.

I had the Note 9 but am currently using the S10+.

Good luck.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I had the Note 9 and used T-Mobile Jump on Demand to upgrade to the S10+. I've been doing this for a few years now, so I oscillate between a Note series and S series phone twice a year. When I have a Note device, I use the S-Pen somewhat. And I'll say that the S-Pen has become more useful with the Note 9 because even if you don't do a lot of handwriting, you can use the S-Pen as a remote to take photos, play/pause music, and do other such things. That said I would argue that the S10+ is a slightly better device. It has better speaker audio than the already excellent Note 9 speakers, it has a marginally better display than the already superior Note 9 display, it has smaller bezels than the already small ones on the Note 9, it supports fast wireless charging 2.0, it has a front facing depth camera and a rear wide angle camera, and it has PowerShare.

As I hopefully emphasized, the Note 9 is amazing in terms of speakers, display, and screen/bezel ratio, and the S10+ only slightly improves on these. Bearing in mind that the Note 9 is $100 cheaper, this isn't a sufficient reason to upgrade (in my opinion) unless you are on a lease agreement of some kind, such as JOD. Fast wireless 2.0 is awesome, but you've got to buy a $100 charging pad to take advantage of that. So that leaves the cameras and PowerShare. If you're really into taking pro-quality photos, I'd say the S10+ might be worth the extra $100. The other element that would make the $100 worth it is if you have other smart devices like a Galaxy Watch which can be charged with PowerShare. This feature is advertised as a way to give a charge bump to a friend's iPhone, but what makes it really useful is if you have a Samsung smartwatch, because now you can ditch the watch charger and charge off your own phone.

Again, just my opinion, but the extra cameras and PowerShare are what make the S10+ stand above the Note 9. If these are worth it to you, then get an S10+. If not, you might be better off with the Note 9.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I have both, for now, I'm on Jump On Demand - I prefer the finger print scanner on the Note 9 a whole lot better than the S10+. I can open the Note 9 as I'm taking it out of my pocket while the S10+, it takes me a few seconds, specially if I'm out doors and can't place my finger in the correct spot. It kinda frustrates me to be honest.

The Note 9 is a tad bit bigger and heavier and feels sturdier, the S10+ is lighter which can also be a plus.

I debated between returning the S10+ and sticking with my Note 9 but the only reason I'm sticking with the S10+ is the camera. I find the wide angle camera very useful. Also, the speakers sound better on the S10+.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I just made the move to the S10+. If you think you'll find value with the spen then it's N9. That being said the S10+ would be the way to go otherwise, unless you don't want a punch out on your screen.

Truthfully speaking both devices are great and there is no wrong decision just a matter of what features on the devices suit your lifestyle best.

Unless you value notification leds, secondary secure means of unlocking your device (ex. Iris scanner), and find the new fps placement to be a nuisance.

Even if I didn't use the spen, I wouldn't get any of the S10 devices

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Really. I love the FPS location. It's right in the screen where my thimb naturally goes. Works great for me. No more reaching around the back for the fingerprint reader which for me was a pain.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Read up on differences between glass and ceramic. If you prefer a heavier, more solid feeling phone you get that with ceramic, if you like the lighter feel you get that with the glass. Ceramic allows better signal. Your biggest difference with the note 9 is the S pen. If your not a big user of the S pen the S series is the way I would go, plus you get the newest technology available, and it sounds like you keep your phones for awhile, which I would want the newest available when getting a new one. Either phone will be a good phone, boils down to the S pen IMO.

The following article does a good job explaining the differences between glass and ceramic. Scroll down towards the bottom for glass and ceramic.

https://m.androidcentral.com/metal-vs-plastic-vs-glass-which-best-material-phones

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you don't care about the S-Pen then S10+ is better than Note 9 in every way minus fingerprint sensor.
I'll include the fingerprint also. The same can be said in this side, just because some are having issues with the FPS doesn't mean everyone is. I'm betting that some are user error, not all.

My FPS worked decent right off the bat last night. I got the update, had it download overnight. This morning I deleted my thumb print and set it over, and it's been almost flawless. It won't work just tapping it, you have to hold it for a second it two. I also followed someone else's advice and started programming my print with thumb straight up and then rotated it around both ways. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. And my hands are as dry as they come, so I am not needing moisture either. Not everyone will have a bad experience. I had a bad experience using the Iris scanner on the previous phones, it just didn't work for me, so I couldn't use it, that was the way it was for me, others it worked great.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll include the fingerprint also. The same can be said in this side, just because some are having issues with the FPS doesn't mean everyone is. I'm betting that some are user error, not all.

My FPS worked decent right off the bat last night. I got the update, had it download overnight. This morning I deleted my thumb print and set it over, and it's been almost flawless. It won't work just tapping it, you have to hold it for a second it two. I also followed someone else's advice and started programming my print with thumb straight up and then rotated it around both ways. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. And my hands are as dry as they come, so I am not needing moisture either. Not everyone will have a bad experience. I had a bad experience using the Iris scanner on the previous phones, it just didn't work for me, so I couldn't use it, that was the way it was for me, others it worked great.
Yes it's just a different personal experience, 4 or 5 days I had the S10+ it was definitely not a great experience using the fingerprint. And believe me I have registered different/same finger, multiple angles, trying tap, pressing and holding or every other way possible. At the end for me it's a regression compared to capacitive fingerprint but that's my opinion and may be I would have got used to if I use it for a month or so. And on the Iris yes that was horrible as well for me

I like the traditional capacitive fingerprint sensors which work the best, Apple's face ID is great but not as fast as traditional fingerprint sensor but at least it works every time.

Anyway, there is some percentage of people in the forums, reviewers etc who are not happy with the fingerprint sensor. It being the first generation may be it's expected and who knows it might get better with updates.

But for those who are having no issues unlocking, I'm pretty sure there are lots of them and I believe you

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes it's just a different personal experience, 4 or 5 days I had the S10+ it was definitely not a great experience using the fingerprint. And believe me I have registered different/same finger, multiple angles, trying tap, pressing and holding or every other way possible. At the end for me it's a regression compared to capacitive fingerprint but that's my opinion and may be I would have got used to if I use it for a month or so. And on the Iris yes that was horrible as well for me

I like the traditional capacitive fingerprint sensors which work the best, Apple's face ID is great but not as fast as traditional fingerprint sensor but at least it works every time.

Anyway, there is some percentage of people in the forums, reviewers etc who are not happy with the fingerprint sensor. It being the first generation may be it's expected and who knows it might get better with updates.

But for those who are having no issues unlocking, I'm pretty sure there are lots of them and I believe you
yeah it sucks not everyone is having a good experience with the FPS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherrymae34