S10 Phone speakerfunction quality issue, microphone works fine

Tinus89

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi!

I have a Galaxy S10 on which people I call on speaker function complain, they can't hear me.
However, when I call them via Whatsapp on speaker, all is fine.

Tried so far:
- Restart phone
- Clear Phone app data
- Start in safe mode (same issue)

Any Ideas?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Make sure the secondary mic at the top of the phone isn't blocked (e.g., by a case) or clogged (e.g., by lint).

Tinus89

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for responding!

- Checked for debris/lint in 2nd mic, all OK. I presume Whatsapp also uses the same mic? As Whatsapp speakerfunction works fine....
- Cleared data & force stopped phone app, but the issue persists.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How is your signal during these speakerphone calls? What about text messaging -- is the same contact not getting your messages?

Keep us posted on what happens!

Tinus89

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
Reception is fine, 75-100%. It is not limited to one caller, but all. It only happens when using the phone app, when I use other apps (voice messaging, call via Whatsapp), everything is fine.
All other messaging services work fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding!

- Checked for debris/lint in 2nd mic, all OK. I presume Whatsapp also uses the same mic? As Whatsapp speakerfunction works fine....
- Cleared data & force stopped phone app, but the issue persists.

VoIP calling apps might not use the secondary mic or speakerphone, so it doesn't necessarily rule out a failed secondary mic.

Try recording a video using the camera app, and make sure there's sound. Then play the video back and listen to it using headphones. Do you hear stereo sound? If you only hear sound from one channel, then the secondary mic has probably failed.

Tinus89

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
With the two above suggestions, I have managed to conclude:
- The issue is with the top microphone
- There is no debris in it
- The app cache empty options did not help
- The issue is the same in safe mode (hence no rogue apps interfering)

I have also read this topic: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...ms-microphone-my-samsung-galaxy-s10-plus.html although his issue is reversed to mine (only speakerphone working), so his primary/bottom mic is the issue.

I am leaning towards the top mic being broken, unless anyone else has a solution? I have not yet tried a factory reset, but am also not really feeling for the work it involves as it did not help in the topic linked either...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With the two above suggestions, I have managed to conclude:
- The issue is with the top microphone
- There is no debris in it
- The app cache empty options did not help
- The issue is the same in safe mode (hence no rogue apps interfering)

I have also read this topic: https://forums.androidcentral.com/s...ms-microphone-my-samsung-galaxy-s10-plus.html although his issue is reversed to mine (only speakerphone working), so his primary/bottom mic is the issue.

I am leaning towards the top mic being broken, unless anyone else has a solution? I have not yet tried a factory reset, but am also not really feeling for the work it involves as it did not help in the topic linked either...
Only thing left is factory reset before we blame hardware which either way you if you get it fixed they going ask you factory reset.

Maybe use Bluetooth buds to get around this ?

Tinus89

Apr 29, 2022
Visit site
I have reset the phone to factory. Made a backup before, but somehow the backup is not returned so I also lost a majory of my data.
Most beautifully, the problem persists. So it really is a mechanical defect after all.

Not going to spend ~80Eur on a 3yr old phone currently in the market for ~300Eur, so I will look for a replacment.
Thanks for the help!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have reset the phone to factory. Made a backup before, but somehow the backup is not returned so I also lost a majory of my data.
Most beautifully, the problem persists. So it really is a mechanical defect after all.

Not going to spend ~80Eur on a 3yr old phone currently in the market for ~300Eur, so I will look for a replacment.
Thanks for the help!

So sorry that a factory reset did not fix the issue! Getting a replacement is a smart move! Any idea on what your new phone will be?