S6 Edge - Screen rotation does not work properly

anon(5419168)

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Not buying into this article. Nothing that was reported fixed my Tmo s6 edge. My replacement edge received last Friday has been working as it should. Same apps on the new edge that was on the old edge from April 6th. That edge stopped working the day after it was setup. On my third edge now. One did not rotate. The other edge had a piece of the screen missing. This last one is fully working. Tmo worked through the issues with me and never gave me any difficulty in the return process.

I will still monitor this thread to see what really is the fix for screen rotation on all the carrier branded edge phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

AMDXP

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got my S6 Edge 128 a couple days ago and I have this problem. However I don't plan on returning it just yet. Got to give Samsung enough time to determine the root cause. Just no reason to return a phone to get one that likely came from the same manufacturer in run to only have the problem crop up within the first couple of days. Once they get some of the returns back they should be able to quickly determine a fix. My guess is the sensor came from a bad batch and fails after certain situations. Everything else on my phone works great. I'll wait and let them get there act together.

xgenzach

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I just made an account on this forum to post the solution. I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB in Black Sapphire. I posted the solution on Reddit and I will repost here. I've been researching this issue for the past week.

"Just got a way to fix it. First off, don't even listen to Verizon, the corporate store located next to me is a pain in the *** and more often than not the employees on the phone don't know **** about the phone, no offense to any current employees at this sub reddit. What you need to do is call the Samsung number for support which is 1 (800) 726-7864 and follow the instructions until you get support for the Galaxy S line. It is confirmed in fact a software issue from Samsung, so it doesn't matter if you buy a new phone it will be there until Google comes out with a patch. I was offered the option to ship the phone to them so they can manually do it without me having to wait for Google. The phone comes under a one year warranty so there is no cost for this. The person I spoke to was amazing and the best service, far better than anything Verizon has offered me. He said it will take approximately a week for everything to be completed and me getting my phone back. They'll send you shipping labels and stuff through your samsung account that you already have setup or that they will setup for you!"

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I just made an account on this forum to post the solution. I have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB in Black Sapphire. I posted the solution on Reddit and I will repost here. I've been researching this issue for the past week.

"Just got a way to fix it. First off, don't even listen to Verizon, the corporate store located next to me is a pain in the *** and more often than not the employees on the phone don't know **** about the phone, no offense to any current employees at this sub reddit. What you need to do is call the Samsung number for support which is 1 (800) 726-7864 and follow the instructions until you get support for the Galaxy S line. It is confirmed in fact a software issue from Samsung, so it doesn't matter if you buy a new phone it will be there until Google comes out with a patch. I was offered the option to ship the phone to them so they can manually do it without me having to wait for Google. The phone comes under a one year warranty so there is no cost for this. The person I spoke to was amazing and the best service, far better than anything Verizon has offered me. He said it will take approximately a week for everything to be completed and me getting my phone back. They'll send you shipping labels and stuff through your samsung account that you already have setup or that they will setup for you!"
So your advice is to ring Samsung and send the device back to them? If I just got locked in to a $1000 contract and was still in my 14 day window, I wouldn't take that chance. Return it.

I know it's a small number of people affected but this is exactly why I never purchase newly released devices. Waiting a couple of months always works out better

tsume

May 4, 2013
Visit site
It's better to just keep swapping devices. Samsung only understands money and it costs money to process lots of returned devices. Their support is a total joke. "What screen rotation issue?" from the two reps I spoke to. Clueless.

Nocpo

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Picked up the S6 Edge 32G from Virizon yesterday. This afternoon IMMEDIATELY after I finished doing a full recharge using the Fast Charging I discovered the same exact issue. Camera is inverted, no rotation on any apps or pictures etc. Downloaded a sensor check app and saw my Y-axis values to be completely stuck. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a HARDWARE issue. Replacing mine tomorrow, back to apple I go. :':)':)'(

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Picked up the S6 Edge 32G from Virizon yesterday. This afternoon IMMEDIATELY after I finished doing a full recharge using the Fast Charging I discovered the same exact issue. Camera is inverted, no rotation on any apps or pictures etc. Downloaded a sensor check app and saw my Y-axis values to be completely stuck. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a HARDWARE issue. Replacing mine tomorrow, back to apple I go. :':)':)'(

Back to apple after one day? Lol

Why not get a replacement. I replaced mine the day after launch and the device I now have has no issues.

joeyz148

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
This is their flagship phone, there's hundreds of thousands of these phone out already worldwide if it didn't hit the million mark yet, and it will and beyond. You have regular everyday people using only the chargers that come in the box because that's all they know. Plus in the early days, the phone is getting charged more often because people are playing around with it. Come on now, people actually think the chargers are causing this problem from overheating? There's fire hazards and other factors that would be involved. Plus this would be major news on actual news outlets. Not internet forums. And the chargers would have been pulled by now. Common sense here. How come every phone isn't burning out then?

Last edited:

tsume

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Back to apple after one day? Lol

Why not get a replacement. I replaced mine the day after launch and the device I now have has no issues.

There are many people who have replaced 2 or even 3 times now and end up with the problem again. After the 14 day carrier grace period, that is a huge issue since you have to send your phone to Samsung and be without it for over a week. Plus, due to my account type with Sprint, to replace the phone is mail-only and is a big hassle that I am not willing to do more than once. I'm going back to HTC because of this. I cannot risk getting another edge and then it fails like many others and then I have to mail it in to Samsung and have no phone for who knows how long.

If Samsung support had any clue maybe it would have changed my mind, but they don't have a clue. They still won't say if it's a software issue and they want me to replace the phone. It's been 2 weeks since launch and there is nothing on their website officially acknowledging the problem nor mention of a viable solution in the works.

djpushplay

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
This is their flagship phone, there's hundreds of thousands of these phone out already worldwide if it didn't hit the million mark yet, and it will and beyond. You have regular everyday people using only the chargers that come in the box because that's all they know. Plus in the early days, the phone is getting charged more often because people are playing around with it. Come on now, people actually think the chargers are causing this problem from overheating? There's fire hazards and other factors that would be involved. Plus this would be major news on actual news outlets. Not internet forums. And the chargers would have been pulled by now. Common sense here. How come every phone isn't burning out then?

The charger itself is not the problem. It's a manufacturing problem with the accelerometer chip. Some of these chips are failing at a high temperature. This type of manufacturing problem is not unheard of. It's not Samsung's fault unless they also manufacture the chips. The heating problem is an educated guess and the most likely cause because I've seen that before. However, it could be caused by other factors, like a design error on the circuit board putting stress on the chip.

As for why all units don't fail, that's the problem with hardware "bugs". Not all chips are going to be defective and some will fail under only specific situations (like temperature) making it very hard to diagnose before shipping. I can say from personal experience that this type of problem is a massive headache.

If it's true that Samsung has announced that they have a fix, I suspect that it's a simple change during the assembly and not an entirely new circuit board. It could be as simple as putting something around the chip to protect it from heat.

joeyz148

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
What high temperature? The phone is paper thin, there's no insulation, If the phone was heating up to this high temperature when you plugged in the charger, wouldn't we feel this extreme heat? I leave my phone on the charger overnight , night after night because im trying to create this problem. I have 20 days to return it and want to know if there's a problem. My phone doesn't get warm enough to melt butter yet alone burn a circuit out.

joeyz148

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, this is from another website that some guy posted : .......................................................................................................................................................................... "Actually I found a very easy fix for me. Worked like a charm.. Simply download "rotation lock adaptive free" from the play store. Set it to "stock auto" and hit save. Then test it out. As you can see its not hardware at all. It's software. Now to perminently fix the issue, simply uninstall "rotation lock adaptive free". Since you saved the setting as "stock auto", it's using the stock ROMs auto rotate. Un installing the app simply keeps the auto rotate working and locked it back in place. You are now good to go and you don't have to wipe data. Hope this works for everyone like it did for me"

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, this is from another website that some guy posted : ................................................................................................................................................................ "Actually I found a very easy fix for me. Worked like a charm.. Simply download "rotation lock adaptive free" from the play store. Set it to "stock auto" and hit save. Then test it out. As you can see its not hardware at all. It's software. Now to perminently fix the issue, simply uninstall "rotation lock adaptive free". Since you saved the setting as "stock auto", it's using the stock ROMs auto rotate. Un installing the app simply keeps the auto rotate working and locked it back in place. You are now good to go and you don't have to wipe data. Hope this works for everyone like it did for me"

can someone with rotation issues confirm this?

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
There are many people who have replaced 2 or even 3 times now and end up with the problem again. After the 14 day carrier grace period, that is a huge issue since you have to send your phone to Samsung and be without it for over a week. Plus, due to my account type with Sprint, to replace the phone is mail-only and is a big hassle that I am not willing to do more than once. I'm going back to HTC because of this. I cannot risk getting another edge and then it fails like many others and then I have to mail it in to Samsung and have no phone for who knows how long.

If Samsung support had any clue maybe it would have changed my mind, but they don't have a clue. They still won't say if it's a software issue and they want me to replace the phone. It's been 2 weeks since launch and there is nothing on their website officially acknowledging the problem nor mention of a viable solution in the works.

Understandable. I suppose switching platforms seems dicey to me being i've become so invested in google services over the years. HTC is a solid move, maybe not as exciting but a solid move.

If I was you I would force my carrier to return the item without using a "worry free guarantee" I did this with Verizon. I was actually coming from a Nexus 6. Switched it out for a S6 edge using my worry free guarantee. Once I realized I had rotation issues I went to a brick and mortar and they replaced it no questions asked.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Dont know is this is posted before:
How to check if your S6 Edge accelerometer is busted:

… you can see that the accelerometer is stuck. To verify, enter “*#0*#” in your phone app to enter hardware test mode. Touch “Sensor”. The X, Y and Z for the accelerometer must all change in rapid succession as you rotate your phone. If any are stuck on 32767 or -32768, you have a HARDWARE problem which cannot be fixed by updates of software/firmware of ANY kind.

Samsung has released a update to bypass accelerometer and fix autorotating. But this wont make accelerometer to work again, if its broken than its broken and hardware cant be fix with software modify.
Just DOA and get new device.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I will not be using the quick charge with my new one, I'll report back if the issue happens again, but I'm pretty sure it's the heat caused by the charger.

It happened soon after I started using the quick charge.

tsume

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Once I realized I had rotation issues I went to a brick and mortar and they replaced it no questions asked.

The problem for me is that I have a Sprint Wireless Advantage Club (SWAC) account. You can only do device exchanges at a corporate store, and Sprint closed the only corporate store here. The nearest one is 2 hours away. I would probably give the Edge another chance if it wasn't such a pain to do replacements in my scenario.

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if it would be safer to use the charger that came with my galaxy tab S as opposed to the one I got with my S 6. I don't have any issues with my phone now but I sure don't want any to crop up.

HabsFan

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
My replacement has been working great since last week. Rotates fine. I charge it on the fast charger when I get home from work before I go to the gym, then again overnight and no issues at all. The first phone I got stopped rotating after a day so I'm hopeful this will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear