S6 has no HDMI, MHL or other video output

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Chrome cast doesn't work with Amazon Prime movies, though.

Chromecast does not work with a lot of things. Including hotel wifi. Its pretty much useless when traveling which is why I always carried the mhl cable. It just worked.

I have a miracast hub from HTC. Bought it, tried it stuck it in a drawer as useless. The drops and stutters caused by its need for local wifi which is NEVER fast enough for full bandwidth 1080p video in the real world made it a useless toy. I am not buying the Samsung one as its still tied to wifi.

leicesterfan

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
This is a nightmare.

My mate always had his S5 connected up to his Sony TV via a £5 cable. Now we can't do this?

Similarly is my car stereo now redundant? I assume a USB will no longer work with this phone and you'll lose the ability to control apps/music via the headunit. I'll be stuck with AUX that means you can't charge without having the *** lighter in use and have to select tracks from the phone itself.

How can a flagship phone not have features like this, especially when the predecessors did?

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't connect my s6 to my Clarion car stereo through anything other than Bluetooth. My stereo supports mhl and mirrorlink but this phone does not.

Posted via the Android Central App

leicesterfan

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Wow.

Just tried enabling 'screen mirroring' on my S6 and bang, up pops the 'do you wish to connect' message on my Sony Bravia. Full screen mirroring rather than just throwing out pics and videos.

I swear I tried this the other day and got nowhere.

MAXXTX

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you meant using native apps like Youtube...Hulu...Netflix...ect.... I meant casting your phone screen directly to the TV which is different than streaming an app.

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Chromecast is that it requires a wi-fi network that you can connect to--this can be a problem if you're in some place like a hotel, where you don't necessarily want to shell out $15/day for their wi-fi. The nice thing about MHL support is that you could just connect the phone directly to a TV, without needing a wi-fi network.

My 128 GB gold S6 is arriving on Tuesday and I'm dreading all of the compromises I'll have to make for it over using my Note 4. Compromising on battery life, replaceable battery, SD card and now HDMI out. Oh well.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow.

Just tried enabling 'screen mirroring' on my S6 and bang, up pops the 'do you wish to connect' message on my Sony Bravia. Full screen mirroring rather than just throwing out pics and videos.

I swear I tried this the other day and got nowhere.

Where is that option?

jpopdallas

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Yea Its a bummer but maybe they are thinking we got all this money to buy TVs with screen mirroring. But that still doesn't help the people with the car head units.

leicesterfan

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Where is that option?

Steps to connect to my Sony Bravia...

1.Turn the TV on and go to the 'screen mirroring' input option.
2. Pull down on the S6 and select 'screen mirroring' on the quick options (if this isn't here, click on edit and select it there).
3. Screen mirroring menu will pop up and find the Bravia to connect to, click on this and then my TV pops up with a message asking if I want to connect and then voila!

This is FULL mirroring i.e. full menu's etc, not just app support.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I can't connect my s6 to my Clarion car stereo through anything other than Bluetooth. My stereo supports mhl and mirrorlink but this phone does not.

I don't have the phone yet but everything I've read has stated that the s6 has MirrorLink. I know with my HTC M8 and Sony head unit, I have to start everything in a certain order to get MirrorLink working, maybe you're having the same issue. For my situation, I have to choose MirrorLink as the source on the head unit and start the drive app on my phone BEFORE I plug it into to the head unit.

dileep021

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
no mhl. really? because i just found a project on kickstarter which says it supports mhl 3 4k video out. please check here goo.gl/aqAuHz

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Kind of hard for it to adapt what is not there.

eBay vendor confirmed it does NOT work on S6 and is removing the listing.

Last edited:

BillyTRichVa

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Lack of MHL is disapointing. Does your Kenwood head unit support MirrorLink? Supposedly the s6 is compatible with MirrorLink which my Sony head unit has in addition to the MHL. MirrorLink uses USB to communicate by the way, not HDMI like MHL so it actually allows you to control your phone from the head unit which you can't usually do with MHL.
Have you tried this? I have a Sony XAV712-HD and I can't get the mirrorlink to work. The last samsung phone known to work with this unit required the samsung drivelink app on the phone. The S6 isn't supported with Drivelink

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Screen mirroring on Samsung devices is proprietary - it mirrors to Samsung TVs. (It may mirror to one or two others, but don't count on it.)

Chromecast works - if you can't use the hotel's wifi, it's not a large amount of wasted space to carry a D-Link DWL-G730AP pocket router in your suitcase (or even carry-on - the whole package is about the size of a small shaving kit).

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Screen mirroring on Samsung devices is proprietary - it mirrors to Samsung TVs. (It may mirror to one or two others, but don't count on it.)

Chromecast works - if you can't use the hotel's wifi, it's not a large amount of wasted space to carry a D-Link DWL-G730AP pocket router in your suitcase (or even carry-on - the whole package is about the size of a small shaving kit).

I have an HTC One. It mirrors to my Samsung TV. The S3 also mirrors to my Samsung TV.

Sent from my iPhone 8

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The problem with Chromecast is that it requires a wi-fi network that you can connect to--this can be a problem if you're in some place like a hotel, where you don't necessarily want to shell out $15/day for their wi-fi. The nice thing about MHL support is that you could just connect the phone directly to a TV, without needing a wi-fi network.

I'm not sure if Samsung's Allshare Cast Hub requires a wi-fi network, or if you can connect the phone directly with the hub via wi-fi.
It doesn't require it. I actually use an all cast receiver to connect my S6 to my pioneer AppRadio