S7-Edge : Killed by Samsung Software, and Samsung "Support".

rick_from_reno_nv

Oct 28, 2018
Visit site
Long rant. Samsung "Support" seems to be unpopular with a lot of people, but this is my first experience. A sledge hammer would have been quicker, more satisfying, and equally effective.

Samsung has just returned a "new-to-me" Galaxy S7 Edge *without* taking 5 minutes to reload the Boot Code, clearing the dreaded FRS boot loop demanding the original owner's Google Credentials. (At one time, it was probably a corporate phone.) Samsung does not (and dares not) dispute the validity of my purchase. But, they refuse to touch it - because the phone is about 8 months out of warranty. Would you buy a car, if you knew that PAID-FOR manufacturer service would be discontinued on the minute it went out of warranty?

First, they closed two of my "support cases" without reply to my email or my other phone (which is, unfortunately, another Samsung). Then, they created a third "support case" and sent a shipping label. They declared the repair for their nasty "LOCK DEVICE LOCK PRIVACY LOCK" to be $70.31. I happily paid it.

Then they declared that they're shipping the phone back un-repaired. All that I had done was apply a touch-wiz update to enable correct (and settable) screen pressure for touch and swipe actions. I am left with a $200 BOAT-ANCHOR, which they could have fixed in less than 5 minutes. They chose to give me the shaft.

(My Samsung S7-Edge "boat anchor" is not waterproof, and doesn't weigh enough to actually anchor a boat.) I therefore warn anyone who contemplates buying a new Samsung S9 (or S10) phone- they release the phones before the software is fully functional, and any used buyer will be *killed* if they try to apply a software update. You should probably assume that you are trapped in a Samsung treadmill, with each $900 phone "supported" only for it's warranty period, and un-sellable to anyone else.

Samsung? NEVER EVER again. (BTW, the boat anchor was my 5th Samsung phone in a row.)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. You got a used phone from them, were using it fine, then encountered the FRP once the warranty was up? So was it already setup and activated when you first got it, or did you go through the setup process without encountering a FRP check?

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Wait, your S7 Edge isn’t waterproof? They are rated to IP68 and mine is works perfectly well in heavy rain and even when it snows.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait, your S7 Edge isn’t waterproof? They are rated to IP68 and mine is works perfectly well in heavy rain and even when it snows.

No phone is waterproof, and no manufacturer will warranty water damage. Those IP ratings only apply to specific lab tests, not the real world with many more variables, and are little more than a gimmick as far as the average consumer should be concerned.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
No phone is waterproof, and no manufacturer will warranty water damage. Those IP ratings only apply to specific lab tests, not the real world with many more variables, and are little more than a gimmick as far as the average consumer should be concerned.

Well, I’d say that’s a bit harsh. True, ‘waterproof’ is technically the wrong term (water resistant) but knowing that your phone can survive in rain/snow without being damaged is reassuring and useful.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I’d say that’s a bit harsh.

The truth often is.

Words have specific meaning. When it comes to potentially giving others a false sense of security and risking damage to an expensive piece of property, the correct wording should be used. Perhaps your phone can be safely used in the rain. If the phone had been damaged, the water had contaminants, you inserted an SD card before it was dry, used in a steamy shower, had drastic hot and cold changes, etc, that resistance could fail and cause water damage.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
The truth often is.

Words have specific meaning. When it comes to potentially giving others a false sense of security and risking damage to an expensive piece of property, the correct wording should be used. Perhaps your phone can be safely used in the rain. If the phone had been damaged, the water had contaminants, you inserted an SD card before it was dry, used in a steamy shower, had drastic hot and cold changes, etc, that resistance could fail and cause water damage.

To be fair, Samsung did use the term ‘water resistant’ and offer more detailed information on the specifics, so I don’t see anything misleading there.

And also, having a water resistant phone (to a certain degree) isn’t a substitute for common sense (aka inserting a wet micro SD card or using it deep in muddy water)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, Samsung did use the term ‘water resistant’ and offer more detailed information on the specifics, so I don’t see anything misleading there.
I was correcting your use of "waterproof." Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, my apologies.

And also, having a water resistant phone (to a certain degree) isn’t a substitute for common sense (aka inserting a wet micro SD card or using it deep in muddy water)

Agreed.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I was correcting your use of "waterproof." Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case, my apologies.

Oh, I wasn’t being sarcastic in my speech...and I thought you were referring to Samsung’s website >_<

Seems like we both got the wrong end of the stick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali