S8 demos are on the floor at Best Buy

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
I got to try one today and surprisingly, I did not get that twinge of joy that I always get with a major release like this. Granted, it was running demo software, so I couldn't delve into the settings or feel what real-life use is like. The S8+ felt absolutely enormous - as much too long as the Nexus 6 felt too wide (sorry).

Impressions (S8)

in hand feel is nice - it is slightly more narrow than my regular s7, so reaching across is a breeze. I put them side by side, so I can confirm the footprint is less wide. I gotta say though, it does feel like holding a small surfboard and I honestly cannot reach the top of the screen without a serious shimmy of the hand. I'm not sure I could get used to the tall screen - it's really weird.

It does feel like a futuristic piece of tech, VERY polished from hardware to the software & menus. It does feel more fragile, though, probably because of the extra length.

The feeling of daintiness is increased by the freaking small touch targets such as the navigation keys, notification shorcuts, and especially the buttons in the camera app. Many of them are quite stylized - it's difficult to tell what some buttons are for, though anyone could learn them quickly. Also, and hopefully this was just demo software, but the camera opened directly into selfie mode each time. I hope this is not the default in consumer versions.

the s8 did not feel much faster than my s7. I suppose this could be because of the demo software, but my s7 is almost a year old and has many apps on it, so we'll have to see. Regular UI navigation does not feel blazing fast like the Pixel phones.

Fingerprint sensor location is a problem - since it's so high up on the tall phone, I can barely reach and will likely hit the camera on my way there since I'm a righty. I would definitely be using Iris scanner or facial recognition over that fingerprint sensor.

The buttons felt a bit mushy compared to my s7. Not as much like cold, clicky metal that I love in the s7

Bummer that the camera shortcut is now a double tap of the power button - way better than nothing, but not as fast when pulling out of a pocket.

Personally, I'll be waiting until at least a couple months after release before I consider this so I can see some longer term reviews. It's a pretty major design change and with this price, it had better be worth it.

Anyway, go try 'em out at BB!

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I also got to play with both phones earlier today at my Best Buy. I really enjoyed how it looked and felt. The S8 was about the same size as my S7E. Both were very light in weight. The demo was on so couldn't really test anything out much. Even the S+ felt good in my hands, I could get my entire hand around it. To me it was just a bit slimmer than my 7Edge. My wife even liked it a bit. But since I just got my phone last month I have to wait another 5 months before I can upgrade again. The midnight black is really nice in person. My choice is black and then the Orchid Grey

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Here's a pic of the s8plus next to my LG v20
b5f6131707d6df5427f5fe82bd42d043.jpg

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I got to try one today and surprisingly, I did not get that twinge of joy that I always get with a major release like this. Granted, it was running demo software, so I couldn't delve into the settings or feel what real-life use is like. The S8+ felt absolutely enormous - as much too long as the Nexus 6 felt too wide (sorry).

Impressions (S8)

in hand feel is nice - it is slightly more narrow than my regular s7, so reaching across is a breeze. I put them side by side, so I can confirm the footprint is less wide. I gotta say though, it does feel like holding a small surfboard and I honestly cannot reach the top of the screen without a serious shimmy of the hand. I'm not sure I could get used to the tall screen - it's really weird.

It does feel like a futuristic piece of tech, VERY polished from hardware to the software & menus. It does feel more fragile, though, probably because of the extra length.

The feeling of daintiness is increased by the freaking small touch targets such as the navigation keys, notification shorcuts, and especially the buttons in the camera app. Many of them are quite stylized - it's difficult to tell what some buttons are for, though anyone could learn them quickly. Also, and hopefully this was just demo software, but the camera opened directly into selfie mode each time. I hope this is not the default in consumer versions.

the s8 did not feel much faster than my s7. I suppose this could be because of the demo software, but my s7 is almost a year old and has many apps on it, so we'll have to see. Regular UI navigation does not feel blazing fast like the Pixel phones.

Fingerprint sensor location is a problem - since it's so high up on the tall phone, I can barely reach and will likely hit the camera on my way there since I'm a righty. I would definitely be using Iris scanner or facial recognition over that fingerprint sensor.

The buttons felt a bit mushy compared to my s7. Not as much like cold, clicky metal that I love in the s7

Bummer that the camera shortcut is now a double tap of the power button - way better than nothing, but not as fast when pulling out of a pocket.

Personally, I'll be waiting until at least a couple months after release before I consider this so I can see some longer term reviews. It's a pretty major design change and with this price, it had better be worth it.

Anyway, go try 'em out at BB!
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I will be checking out an S8 tomorrow at BB and ponder if I should upgrade from my S7 edge.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from playing with one in store. Feels great in the hand. It's even thinner than my HTC 10 so one-handing the phone is really easy. I also didn't notice any false touches registering from my palm touching the curved screen.

I really love the new virtual nav buttons. It's a much better implementation that Google's standard. The buttons disappear and get out of your way rather quickly but "Force Touching" it brings them back. The haptic feedback feels exactly like Apple's so it feels like you're clicking a button.

The let down was the fingerprint scanner location. I'm a lefty so it's incredibly awkward to reach it. Incredibly poor decision on Samsung's part, especially considering they seem to have gotten so much right with this phone.

There's also a demo of the Iris scanner and at least in the quick demo I tried, it's still a little awkward. You have to explicitly look at the screen and align your eyes properly so I'm not sure it's gonna be that convenient to use. I wish it were more like Windows Hello which is really seamless.

I chatted with the Samsung rep there as well and it doesn't seem like this one will have HDMI out apart from the dock (which puts you in a desktop mode, not a media watching mode). He said tons of people come in asking for it so he's not sure why Samsung took it out.

Overall though, I'm pretty excited about this phone now.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Did the Samsung displays have the Orchid Grey version out ?

My local Best Buy had all three colors on display. Just posted my color opinions in the S8 Color thread, but as far as the orchid, I was pleasantly surprised. In person, to my eyes, it looked more like a deep gunmetal gray. It didn't have near the bright purplish tint that the marketing pics suggest. Maybe it would out in bright sunlight, but under the store lights, I didn't detect the bright purple shades at all.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
As for the phone itself, my local BestBuy had several S8 and S8+ they had just put out just before I got there. All the employees were crowded around playing with them. I jumped right in, too.

I found the phone's size very deceptive, probably thanks to the taller form factor. At first glance walking up to the display, the S8 looked smaller than my S6 Edge, and even felt smaller after picking it up. Not until I held the S6 & S8 back to back did the similarity in size become more apparent. If not for the height, I could almost live with the S8+, to be honest, and I'm not one for large phones. All in all, I'm glad I stuck with the regular S8.

Posted my opinions on colors in the S8 Color thread, so I won't rehash all that here.

Other quick impressions:

Screen very impressive, as expected.

Found the force touch home button to be pretty cool, but disappointed to confirm that double-tap of the home button no longer opens the camera. You can double-tap the power button to open it, if the screen is already unlocked; however, there appeared to be no sequence to tap or double-tap anything to go from screen off directly to the camera. I'll miss that.

Another oddity was the camera defaulting back to 4:3 aspect images. (Did the S7 do this, too?) We get an extra tall/wide aspect phone, but go back to old school 4:3 aspect images? Seems an odd choice to me anyways. To get the full 12MP, you have to be in 4:3 mode. Switching to widescreen/16:9 images, drops it down to 9MP.

Sound. Didn't play with the sound much, but a couple times the demo kicked back in on me and started talking. Sounded like pretty much the same speaker and sound I get from my S6. Liveable, but nothing fancy.

All things considered, I still think it'll be a nice successor to my S6!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao