S8+ vs S8 Noticeable Performance Discrepancy

A

AC Question

Hello everyone, I recently purchased and S8 (Non + variant, I prefer the smaller size)
I have seen a lot of youtube videos demonstrating it's ability to emulate GameCube games at *near* Full speed.
When attempting to do so on my device I failed miserably, getting only about 15 FPS or less in some titles.
Before anyone even asks I do NOT have the Exynos variant.
My S8 was purchased in Canada and has the North American Snapdragon 835 SoC.

I was convinced this was simply an issue of getting the right settings so i tinkered endlessly trying to find the secret option that doubled performance until I eventually gave up.
My sister visited recently with an S8+ and i figured I might as well give it a shot on her device. Using the EXACT same version of Dolphin (Build 3418) and the EXACT same settings. (Compared the settings one by one to make sure they were Identical) with the ram cleared in both phones and performance mode turned on.

The S8+ DOUBLED the performance of the regular S8 and emulated any game I tried perfectly whereas my phone could barely keep up.

I have such a small sample that I'm not sure if this is an issue with MY S8 or S8's in general. I would GREATLY appreciate your help. If you have an S8 could you please post a video of it emulating at or near full speed? If you have access to an S8 and S8+ can you please compare performance and tell me the results? I will be posting a video tomorrow to demonstrate these differences.

If the performance discrepancy is as big as it appears, I may have to return my regular S8 and get the S8+. I really hope it doesn't come to this because I much prefer the smaller size. But I am not willing to sacrifice 50% of the performance during emulation.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone, I recently purchased and S8 (Non + variant, I prefer the smaller size)
I have seen a lot of youtube videos demonstrating it's ability to emulate GameCube games at *near* Full speed.
When attempting to do so on my device I failed miserably, getting only about 15 FPS or less in some titles.
Before anyone even asks I do NOT have the Exynos variant.
My S8 was purchased in Canada and has the North American Snapdragon 835 SoC.

I was convinced this was simply an issue of getting the right settings so i tinkered endlessly trying to find the secret option that doubled performance until I eventually gave up.
My sister visited recently with an S8+ and i figured I might as well give it a shot on her device. Using the EXACT same version of Dolphin (Build 3418) and the EXACT same settings. (Compared the settings one by one to make sure they were Identical) with the ram cleared in both phones and performance mode turned on.

The S8+ DOUBLED the performance of the regular S8 and emulated any game I tried perfectly whereas my phone could barely keep up.

I have such a small sample that I'm not sure if this is an issue with MY S8 or S8's in general. I would GREATLY appreciate your help. If you have an S8 could you please post a video of it emulating at or near full speed? If you have access to an S8 and S8+ can you please compare performance and tell me the results? I will be posting a video tomorrow to demonstrate these differences.

If the performance discrepancy is as big as it appears, I may have to return my regular S8 and get the S8+. I really hope it doesn't come to this because I much prefer the smaller size. But I am not willing to sacrifice 50% of the performance during emulation.

Just sounds like you have a bad S8. Exchange it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201