Question Same files, different size on external SSD?

cyberjap

May 17, 2023
Visit site
I copied a folder whose contents are entirely just pics and videos from Instagram stories (total size around 159 GB), from my Samsung Galaxy S21 5G to a brand new and empty Samsung T7 external SSD. I check the occupied size on the T7, and it's about 172 GB (13 GB more)...

My guess is that the culprit is formatting differences and internal fragmentation but I just want to make sure the math reasonably adds up before deleting the folder from my phone to replenish storage space.

Reactions: RikkiAmbrose

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you checking the SSD's storage information on a Windows PC? If so, turn on the Show Hidden Files/Folders option in Windows Files Explorer, and see if there are a lot of hidden files or folders (whose filenames start with a "."). I'm wondering if you might have copied over a .thumbnails folder.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

cyberjap

May 17, 2023
Visit site
Are you checking the SSD's storage information on a Windows PC? If so, turn on the Show Hidden Files/Folders option in Windows Files Explorer, and see if there are a lot of hidden files or folders (whose filenames start with a "."). I'm wondering if you might have copied over a .thumbnails folder.
Nope, checked it on my phone, still connected to the external SSD, as reported by My Files after the process completed.

Edit: I checked and there are no hidden files.

cyberjap

May 17, 2023
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001