Samsung Fast charger work with Pixel?

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So i am one of those people that need to exchange my note 7...but have been a long time samsung user...

i bought 4 x wall fast chargers and 2 x OEM fast car chargers for each car...

good idea to use em with the pixel? are the Amp ratings etc etc the same? will it fast charge? I noticed the charging brick on the Pixel is USB C to USB C...but USB to USB-C should be ok??

will my Pixel explode or be unhealthy for the battery?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So i am one of those people that need to exchange my note 7...but have been a long time samsung user...

good idea to use em with the pixel? are the Amp ratings etc etc the same? will it fast charge? I noticed the charging brick on the Pixel is USB C to USB C...but USB to USB-C should be ok??

They should work but they won't fast charge.

briischamp

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

The fast charger that comes with the Pixel has the same input and comparable output. The Samsung has a 5.3V output, the Pixel one says it's 5V. I actually charged mine with a Samsung charger this morning and it charged very quickly. Can't speak to long term battery health though. The output differs, but very close.

EDIT: I used a 6P charger, thought it was a Samsung one (I have a lot of chargers....). I can't vouch for fast charging capability with the Samsung charger, but as I stated above, those input and output values are for Pixel and Samsung chargers respectively.

mop26921

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
If the output is the same it should work fine. Don´t know if the quick charging will work. The pixel uses USB-PD but the note had Quick Charge 3.

knowledge_6

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you willing to use the charger of a known exploding phone tho? When the cause is still unknown.

hmmmm i don't have the charger from the note 7 anymore.. it went back with the phone.. i bought other OEM Samsung fast chargers... which look identical ... and the phones were exploding even though they weren't being charged so yah.... ur question is invalid in this thread.

anon(98335)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I used Samsung Fast Charger for my 6P, it charged quicker than normal USB charger. I don't think it's as faster as regular 6P charger though..

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

You need a USB to USB C cable that is the proper size and has the proper resistor. I just bought a couple of these and they are fine https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-US...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5509216

Your Samsung QuickCharger uses a non-standard fast charging method from Samsung and Qualcomm. The Pixel uses regular USB compliant charging, which includes fast charging when two USB-C devices are attached to each other. What you have will not fast charge the Pixel. It is not unhealthy for the battery.

If you use the correct cable, it will work as a normal charger just fine. If you use an incorrect cable, you risk damaging the charger and the phone as well as starting a fire.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You need a USB to USB C cable that is the proper size and has the proper resistor. I just bought a couple of these and they are fine https://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-US...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5509313

Your Samsung QuickCharger uses a non-standard fast charging method from Samsung and Qualcomm. The Pixel uses regular USB compliant charging, which includes fast charging when two USB-C devices are attached to each other. What you have will not fast charge the Pixel. It is not unhealthy for the battery.

If you use the correct cable, it will work as a normal charger just fine. If you use an incorrect cable, you risk damaging the charger and the phone as well as starting a fire.

Good info; could you tell me how the usb to usb c cable I got from Sammy is different from the usb to usb c cable in the link to Amazon?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Good info; could you tell me how the usb to usb c cable I got from Sammy is different from the usb to usb c cable in the link to Amazon?

They might not be. A properly built "regular" USB to USB-C cable has a circuit board with a resistor wired to a specific set of pins on the USB-C end. This resistor is needed for the phone (or any other USB-C compliant device) to let the charger know how full the battery is so that the current and/or voltage can be regulated.

Some companies (Samsung is one of them) only use the USB-C plug and use other technology for their charger smarts. These may require different ways of wiring a cable, or not need any special wiring.

Without looking at it, I'm willing to bet Samsung DOES use the correct resistor on the cord to make sure it is safe if used in other equipment. Hopefully someone who knows the answer will jump in.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
They might not be. A properly built "regular" USB to USB-C cable has a circuit board with a resistor wired to a specific set of pins on the USB-C end. This resistor is needed for the phone (or any other USB-C compliant device) to let the charger know how full the battery is so that the current and/or voltage can be regulated.

Some companies (Samsung is one of them) only use the USB-C plug and use other technology for their charger smarts. These may require different ways of wiring a cable, or not need any special wiring.

Without looking at it, I'm willing to bet Samsung DOES use the correct resistor on the cord to make sure it is safe if used in other equipment. Hopefully someone who knows the answer will jump in.

See, THAT is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy... If anyone manufactures cables using usb a to usb c connectors, then they should ALL be the same! If for some reason, a manufacturer has a different requirement, a new standard AND a new connector shape should be implemented... <arghh...>

<mind begins to wander...> and people driving too slow in the passing lane... that, too...

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
FWIW, the Turbo charger from my Droid Turbo 2, with an Aukey adapter, charged my Pixel from 38% to 100% in an hour and 20 minutes.

I'm going to check tonight how much charge I get on 15 minutes starting from 10%

Explicitcore

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I can confirm that My adaptive fast charger that I used with my Galaxy S6 Edge does indeed rapidly charge my Google pixel. When you turn the on the lock screen it says rapid charging and everything.

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site

Almost every charger that supports more than 5watt charging so that is to say fast charging rapid charging turbocharging VOOC/Dash all rely on the charger to sense the phone and talk to it to ask it how much juice it is able to handle safely and if the phone senses a charge such as it is nearly full it tells the charger to back off!

Very few companies uses special cables with cups to regulate charging as they are the past most likely to fail also that may violates Google/Android and/or the USB Alliance regulations forcing them to pay fines or fees or risk losing the right to use these technologies it's not too say that same no company do not do it but it's much rarer today than it was 5 years ago people would rather rely on the charger and/or phone then on the cable to do the thinking!!!

I do personally wish that more companies would make majority of the heat transfer from conversion happened in the charger more than and the phone's well in recent years it has gone better phone still has to do a fair amount of power conversion hence why phone's especially ones with glass on metal backs of them feel hot when you left them up they are no longer 46+ degrees these days but between about 20 or 35 but could still be even cooler doing so would extend the battery life per charge as well as the actual batteries lifetime from about 2 to 5 years closer to 10 years!

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
But it's weird because I bought another Qualcomm quick charge 3.0 wall charger from Amazon and not one does not rapidly charge my pixel.
What has probably happened is you have purchased a fake Chinese charger that if you're lucky won't burn your house down or risk giving you a heart attack there's many Chinese charges out there designed to look like Apple or Samsung or LG and even Anker but use poor quality parts and a very bad design with little separation between parts and rails to allow isolation and cooling on the inside which would risk fires electric shock and possibly even frying your phone!!!