Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Moving Apps to External MicroSD Card

RichardAHill

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't have apps I don't use, music I don't listen to or games I don't play. I have 2G free on my Note 2 at this time and constantly moving data to the external sd card manually is a major PITA not to mention breaking logic chains, playlists, links, db chains, etc. If there are issues with what I want from my phone, then the dev's should list them but allow users to configure as they choose.
As I have been telling M$ for thirty years of beta'ing Windows OS's - "A feature without an off switch is a defect". I expect better of Linux and of Android.
What I expect of fellow forum members is to assist others in solving their problems. Lectures are useless gabble unless you also have constructive advice.
I am in conversation in a few other forums on this subject (SD card limitations) and if anything works, I will post the methods, and caveats, here.
But again ... my question to this forum of those highly helpful and knowledgeable, is how to remove, modify, reset the Android 4.1 (and for be 4.2 very soon if the timetable is right) locks on not being able to r/w to the external sd card the same way you could in 2.3.5. Admittedly you needed a hack to allow ANY app to load on the sd card but most would and ALL data followed the app.

"A feature without an off switch is a defect".
Primetechie

RichardAHill

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Well, I re rooted my Note II and installed Foldermount - so far so good.
I reinstalled a few apps and while the app is located on sdcard0, the data (music, docs, videos, etc) are loading on extsdcard - Check
I next used Lindas File Manager (Discover) to pick a file and a folder and install them as shortcuts on the home screen - check
Now i have to find the mail folder layout and see if I can now create shortcuts to my five inboxes ... this may be the way back to 2.3.5 functionality.
I'm getting some parsing errors so I'm not sure if the root was done correctly, if it falls over, I'll reload the original rom and start again. If things still look good in a few days, I'll post details, downloads, etc ... Thanks to the three of you who im'd me with some tips, but I wish you had posted them - good advice and help should be recognized.

'A feature without an off switch is a bug"

Primetechie

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Or it CAN be viewed as people need self control. You don't need 8gb of music or movies on a phone. You don't need 11gb of apps. It's a portable alternative, yes, however, it isn't meant to be a be all end all device.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

Or, it can simply be Apple and all the other companies are making a terrible mistake in believing in a post PC world. That may be our future but definitely not going to happen in the next 10 years.

Really, what they have given are choices. I consider myself a power user, because I root and rom my devices and very frequently completely change all aspects of my device. If given the choice to stay stock or to root and possibly lose my warranty id probably root everytime. Root just gives more choices.

Cloud vs local storage is another choice. Cloud doesnt make sense to me because I have a PC and like to tinker with my devices. I have many hundreds of gigs worth of pictures and music and vids it is very easy to switch out at a moments notice. Buts thats me, I know many people do not own personal computers and may have no need for one or simply cant afford a decent one, nothing wrong with that, these are the people the cloud really serves. Prior to the cloud these people had no way to save personal data. Cloud services make potential customers out of these people.

As far as the removal of apps to sd card are concerned, it was a logical move on Google's part. This is my first android phone, thats mostly because prior to jellybean I had heard ALOT of negative things about android mostly about it being slow to do stuff, random reboots that kind of thing. Those of us who have been on the AC forums for awhile know that not all sd cards are created equal, but we represent less than .01% of android users. Slow SD cards can create negative experiences, which to a non techy type person might think the phone is slow because it takes FOREVER to load an app. Googles response is to remove the ability to install to SD, thus minimizing negative experiences on things they can control. You know what? Its working.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

wilsonbaird

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys. I was not going to bother you guys, but I see it is an important thing for some, as it was for me.
YES, it's possible to transfer all of your apps to SD and have almost 70GIG available on your phone. Actually, now days I use my phone as a small computer when I am traveling.

How To Bump Your INTERNAL Memory To 64GB On The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 - AndroidPIT

this is the site where i got my Note2 info and I've using it since the day when the phone became available. My phone is a Sprint one.

I am using about 16gig now and I am happy with.
Advice: Buy a 64g class10 sd card. You can then buy the android tunner and set up the card cache to 2048 and the card will be as fast as the original internal memory. Follow the instructions and use it at your own risk.

Kathleen Waterbury

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with all u r have posted......and ur right all of our privacy is gone.....the apps are toys to keep us brain dead and getting out of our little boxes and become the social animals we are meant to be.........and people wonder why nearly all Americans are taking some form of mental drugs to get through the day....because we r depressed or feeling lonely.....or just plain unhappy people.....everyone should spend a month ot two in another country not so consumer orientated, to see just how srewed up America really is....m
Go get a life and leave the grown up techy tools at home....live!!!!!

marc0nline

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Just because you dont want the option of having that much space availble to use its no reason to belittle those of us that do. I use my GN2 for me and my kids. I need the space.

TheOtherBill

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sure is odd how so many people register on the forum, post in this thread and then never log in again.

Almost seems like someone is trying real hard to keep this dead issue alive ...

JeffGoin

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Telling the user he should be able to "make due" with x amount of memory smacks of the famous saying "what on earth could you ever need more than 64K for?" (or something like that).

The fact remains that all-but-nullifying a user's memory card is *INFURIATING*. Had I known this was the case before getting my phone I would have, for the first time, looked at Apple. Forcing users to do something like this, without giving them the choice of a slowdown or memory, will only make them mad upon finding out. Shame on Google.

Far better would be to say "Using the SD card this way may slow your application down. Continue?".

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Not sure it can be done without rooting, in any case you should go to the galaxy tab 2 forum,, this is a note 2 forum.

Note 2,,ITS TRUE, SIZE IS EVERYTHING.

bobby_dumitru

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys.

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WIth it a 32gb class 10 sd card. When i got home and logged in to google, google play etc and started downloading most of the apps i use on my phone ( galaxy s2 ) i realized i was quickly running out of space. So i tried using App2SD ( like i do on my phone ) to start moving some apps. To my surprise i could't, because i got the message something about not a real sd card or the sd card is emulated. First i thought it was the card, so i tried the one my phone...still the same problem.
Are you sure this is Google's doing? Because i have the same JellyBean version (4.1.2) on my galaxy s2 and it works fine, even thow it's not rooted. Any opinions?
Please give me some ideas as what to do, is there an upcoming update that should fix it? This was one of the big reasons why i bought the tablet..to keep the demanding apps on a bigger yet portable and powerful device.

Thank you in advance fot your thoughts.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Google did this,, that is a fact, to prevent apps piracy. This has been discussed to death in the forums. Google definitely blocked the apps to sd feature in the first version of jellybean.

jerry12

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Or it CAN be viewed as people need self control. You don't need 8gb of music or movies on a phone. You don't need 11gb of apps. It's a portable alternative, yes, however, it isn't meant to be a be all end all device.

~swyped from a galaxy (note 2) far far away

Why do you need a car that will go faster than 60 mph. The same with phone memory why more & the answer is because I want it.:D

Sent from my SCH-R950 using AC Forums mobile app

Phantizma

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but my phone has the option to let me switch from internal storage to external SD storage and allows me to move and download apps to my SD card....

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but my phone has the option to let me switch from internal storage to external SD storage and allows me to move and download apps to my SD card....

Can't be done unless your rooted. That sounds like the camera option,, you cannot movie your apps to sd card,, unless you are rooted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred