Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 100178

This is what I mean. Auto settings for the camera in a semi-lowlight condition. What am I doing wrong? or what can I do to make my photos look better.
Turn SS off and use ISO 400 or 800 under semi low light situations.Your photos won't be as bright but it won't be over processed and I find noise is not too bad at 800 ISO.In fairly dim lighting you will need SS and put up with the washed out look.There are apps that allow up to 1600 ISO but there is a lot of noise and photos are very grainy.

I don't think there is a lot you can do about the low shutter speed in low light settings.A small sensor is going to need the extra exposure of a low shutter speed.Most other smartphones are not going to excel in this area either.They might be better but not much.I don't have the Note 2 but I wonder what sort of exposure it needs in low light settings compared to the N3?

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Emphasis mine.

See that's exactly what the argument has been all along. You are basically going to show us (and believe me when I say I'm interested in your show-and-tell) that we can work really hard to offset the limitations of the Note 3's native camera and camera app. That is like saying "I can show you how to convert a Ford Focus into a Nascar-worthy racer, but you'll have to pretty much abandon the Ford Focus part of the equation."

But I think you've already proven the point of this thread. The native Note 3 camera, using native Note 3 software, is inferior. If we are really willing to pose our subjects, switch software, fiddle with the settings and ask our camera subjects to stop moving, hold their breath and pose nicely....we can improve our results.

Sorry, but that's not even remotely the topic of this thread. I'd still appreciate knowing how to force this inferior camera setup to provide passable shots for the 4 or 5 times I may get a perfect scenario to shoot a vase of flowers by candlelight, but for otherwise its just amusement and amazement....not useful for grabbing quick snapshots. And since grabbing quick snapshots is THE purpose for a smartphone camera.....case closed.

If you think downloading an app from the Play Store, pick a shooting mode that does not force any unwanted processing to your photos, and then simply pick the right ISO right from the shooting screen in order to get better quality photo is too much work, then there isn't much anyone can do to help.

As for shutter speed, pretty much all the smartphones on the market will force the shutter down to about 1/10~1/15 when it deems the scene is too dark, and most do not allow you full manual control (though I will recommend one that comes close). You cannot shoot in low-light with a moving subject with any smartphone or even dedicated compact camera and not get blur--it is a simple photography fact, as all camera products aimed at the average consumer will force the camera to the slowest shutter speed and lowest ISO they can get away with. The manufacturers NEVER program cameras to allow fast shutter speed in the fool-proof automatic mode, unless it specifically has a sports/action mode of some kind that is set for that specific scenario.

Yes, Samsung's app does unwanted processing you cannot turn off, and that is what everyone is complaining about. I'm giving you the solution (and whole ton of information coming in the article, with extensive testing, recommendations, tips, etc), and it's up to you if want to use it. If you just want a fully automatic, fool-proof, point-and-shoot that can take perfect photos even in low-light while the subject is moving around and the shooter isn't even trying to hold the camera perfectly still, then you need to understand that you're asking for something that has never existed in human history, and likely won't for at least another few to several years. Currently, the only way to get close to what you're describing, is the kind of shooting I do with my Canon 5D Mark III, where I use the fastest and most accurate lens I can afford (my fastest lens is f/1.4), set the shutter to manual to match the lens's focal length (so if it's 50mm, I set it to at least 1/60 to counter camera shake, and then even faster depending on how fast my subject is moving), and then either set the ISO to auto or pick one that gets me the cleanest image. That'll get me pretty close to the ideal performance you are describing, but it'll still require post-processing with noise-removal in Lightroom, and we're talking about $5,000 worth of gear.

If you actually have shot a camera that does what you are asking the Note 3 to do, and does not cost a lot of money or require some photography knowledge, then I'd love to see it, because it's probably some incredible alien technology. All the other smartphone cameras on the market have the exact same problem of blurring movements in low-light--it is simple physics. In terms of image quality, some might achieve slightly better results due to a larger sensor or clever processing (or lack thereof), but the improvements aren't exactly mind-blowing, and it still does not address the issue of slow shutter speed forced by the low-light.

Anyway, I'm putting so much time into doing this, and those who choose to make a little effort and try my upcoming tips, will see better results. Nothing I'll be showing you guys will require a lot of work--in fact, I have broken it all down into very simple formula that you can learn in like, 5 minutes, and then apply to all your photography from then on. It'll take you just a couple of minutes to download the recommended app, and then another couple of minutes to set it up, and BAM, you're done.

Last edited:

whitezee10

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I received an unlock code the other day, after only 45 days or so. The first time I called T-mobile about it I acknowledged that it hadn't been 90 days yet but asked if I could have a code anyway. The woman said no. So I called again later and just asked for a code without any prefacing, and voila! Unlocked phone.

If you are going to try using it in Ireland, however, good luck. I'm having endless problems with it here.

Subscribed!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using AC Forums mobile app

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 100178

This is what I mean. Auto settings for the camera in a semi-lowlight condition. What am I doing wrong? or what can I do to make my photos look better.

Yeah I have SS on.

Do you have the full resolution pic? That picture looks REALLY bad. I know about the oil painting effect because of the post processing, but that almost looks like the oil painting filter. I have taken low light shots and get that effect too, but NEVER THAT BAD.

JLadd4420

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the full resolution pic? That picture looks REALLY bad. I know about the oil painting effect because of the post processing, but that almost looks like the oil painting filter. I have taken low light shots and get that effect too, but NEVER THAT BAD.

This pic was taken directly from my phone to this thread.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Bear in mind that SS is just an auto night mode so not all photos will look washed out.Unlike previous Notes where you had to manually switch the night mode on,the N3 SS mode detects the available light and turns night mode on automatically.In brightly lit indoor rooms,SS will not come on.When there is less light,you will see the hand and moon icon appear on the display.When there is even light available,the most aggressive night mode comes on and you will see the big hand icon become a smaller hand.This is when photos will take on that washed out look.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad it's not just my phone that takes these horrendous quality indoor photos, I was beginning to wonder if I had a faulty phone. I live in the UK and it's winter at the minute so it never gets that light outside but even in daytime indoor shots are so noisy, I'm baffled as to why Samsung has thrown this camera on the back of the note 3, I had an s4 earlier in the year and the pictures were much, much better. I've never seen a Samsung phone take such noisy photos and struggle so much to capture anything near an accurate picture

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
These are my settings. I never have an issue like your pictures. I've got some killer low light images of my animals. I don't have kids so that's what I take pictures of. Lol

8amyvabu.jpg

3a5yny4u.jpg

u4unugen.jpg

5ary3ada.jpg

y4anyra8.jpg

ScottJohn10

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I switched to the Note3 from the iPhone 5 and I love it. But the camera is the one thing that I miss on the iphone. This 'oil painting' effect is hideous and I never had that with my iphone. Nothing is more frustrating than when it seems technology is going backwards. If I could take all the things I love about my Note3 and combine it with the iphone camera, I'd be a happy boy.

xderiwx

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to your review, particularly what camera app you recommend. I've looked at getting one but there are so many, which of course all claim to be the best. Thanks for doing this

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Same here. Been checking every day! :)

Posted via Android Central App

Eric Mazariegos

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I've been posting on this thread and I'm glad to see I'm not the only ones with this problem. I hate that oil painting effect that is present on this phone. I also experienced this issue on my LG G2. Interestingly enough, it seems this issue is caused by the stabilization mode ... But isn't the stabilization mode supposed to you know... STABILIZE? It just ups the exposure value letting more light in, resulting in a blurry photos indoors and of moving subjects. But I found the fix to be to firstly turn off this stabilization feature. Then, try using 400-800 ISO,and to turn down the EV (exposure value) 1. I miss the Galaxy S4 cam

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Been checking every day! :)

Almost there. I'm currently writing the section on app recommendations and how to best use them, as well as the most effective but simple photography tips that will get you better photos easily. I predict the whole thing should be finished in just a couple of days.

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Head's up everyone. The article is officially finished, and I'm in the middle of proof-reading it. If I finish all proof-reading/corrections tonight, I'll post it. If not, then first thing tomorrow.

The article is EPIC in length and scope, covering so much territory. The main topics are:

-Making the transition from iOS to Android

-Hardware accessory recommendations for the Note 3

-Useful apps on Android, covering all major categories--from utilities, art, music, logistics, media streaming, GPS, camera, system tweaks, launchers, to a bunch of others.

-Note 3's camera test/review, third-party camera app recommendations, and photography tips (covering both technical tips as well as artistic tips).

You are going to need at least a couple of hours to read through the whole thing (unless you hunt and peck only specific sections), so make sure you set aside time for it, or bookmark it so you can read it in multiple sessions.

whitezee10

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Head's up everyone. The article is officially finished, and I'm in the middle of proof-reading it. If I finish all proof-reading/corrections tonight, I'll post it. If not, then first thing tomorrow.

The article is EPIC in length and scope, covering so much territory. The main topics are:

-Making the transition from iOS to Android

-Hardware accessory recommendations for the Note 3

-Useful apps on Android, covering all major categories--from utilities, art, music, logistics, media streaming, GPS, camera, system tweaks, launchers, to a bunch of others.

-Note 3's camera test/review, third-party camera app recommendations, and photography tips (covering both technical tips as well as artistic tips).

You are going to need at least a couple of hours to read through the whole thing (unless you hunt and peck only specific sections), so make sure you set aside time for it, or bookmark it so you can read it in multiple sessions.

Yes please later!! Thanks for your work!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
To come off topic slightly - this is my second phone (after a GS2) that has a megapixel camera. So I didn't replace my 4 mp camera when it caputted.

How come the actual outer lens never needs real cleaning or protection? Is the plastic or glass involved affecting the final image and does it obviously vary with the model. Is it also Corning GG 3?

I am new to this forum so it may have been raised already in the 700+ postings.

JLadd4420

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Dude if your Note 3 "horribly loses" to the Note 2 in any condition you better get a new phone. We have both phones in our family and the Note 3 camera is better across the board. Low light it gets close.... Maybe even a wash.... In any other condition it is much better. Look at the sticky thread... The proof is there.

But he is not the only one having issues with the Note 3 camera. So him getting a new phone might not solve the issue. I had the Note 2 before this and the low light pictures in my opinion are way worse. I shouldn't have to tweak my camera settings or download an app to get the same quality I did from my Note 2. And don't get me wrong I love my Note 3 and wouldnt trade it for any other phone, its just one small thing that bothers me.

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Here it is. Sorry for the wait--the article kept growing in scope, plus I've just started teaching a new workshop, so it took much longer.
Anyway, here's the link:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Android apps (review, camera test, photography tips, app recommendations, accessories) « Ethereality News & Weblog

I'm sure there's something in the article for everybody. Those who want to learn more about the Note 3's camera will find something, and those who want tips on taking better photos will find something too. Even if you don't care about photography or are already an advanced photographer, all the app recommendations for various categories will at least have something that you'll find very useful. I've even got app recommendations for musicians/composers, artists, and writers!