Samsung Galaxy S3 BLACK screen/not working?! Sound working ok....

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Ohhh crap! :/ Now that I finally got the money to buy the digitizer, it's gone up in the price like...well....A LOT! :/ Now, I am out of options AGAIN..... Crap. :/

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
:(
Don't remember what is was before, looks like the link you provided earlier is up to £152.37. This is half the price - For White Samsung Galaxy i9300 S3 Siii LCD Digitizer Touch Screen Display Frame | eBay - add your own tools.... I used a Leatherman, tweezers, hair dryer...

Ok, hmm.. since the price is that much lowered... would this one work, even if it is a different color than my white? It shouldn't make any difference, right? I am talking about this one: GENUINE SAMSUNG I9300 GALAXY S3 REPLACEMENT LCD And DIGITIZER BLUE | eBay - or MUST I get white color..?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
hey, sorry for slow update...

i FINALLY got around to find a mobile store that could do the job for me for like small amount of change... i went there today to get the phone, and i tried entering this and that, and it seemed working nicely. the guy told me that "you know that the digitizer you brought wasnt official and that you might experience some problems with it" - and i understood that. however, when i got home again, i tried inserting my sim-card and it booted up very nicely and all. i then noticed that my date AND time was WAY off, so i went to my settings and wanted to change the date, but then the screen went all black, like it does after stand-by time is over. and it simply refuses to show any image. however, when i hit the power-button, it shows the image for like 0.1 seconds... i tried making a video that shows this, which you can see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRkDV6vHBSE&feature=youtu.be - but yeah, now i cannot access the phone any longer..

do note that it boots up very slowly this time and this is not visible on the video, but the startup screen is somewhat brighter/greener... and after the samsung-logo/bootup is done, the screen goes black again... and when i try hitting the power-button, it shows the screen just for 0.1 secs...

i still hear the notifications popping into my phone and all.... but i cannot get the image to appear...

i should also note that the phone started up with normal bootup speed and i could enter the lockscreen code and so on.

WHAT can be wrong now? :/ im afraid that i have wasted money for simply nothing now. :(

any solutions? =/

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
any solutions? =/

That's frustrating!
You could try Safe mode booting...
With the device powered off, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until the Samsung logo appears then release.
With the Samsung logo on screen, press and hold the Volume down button (located on the left edge).
Continue to hold the Volume Down button until Safe mode appears in the lower left of the screen then release.
Note This may take up to 45 seconds.

If that doesn't work (sorry, it likely will not), there is still hope! :
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-wont-turn-load-past-samsung-logo-screen.html

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
INDEED it is.. :/

ok, i would really like to try doing what you are suggesting, but! i encountered another problem... so maybe it is not hardware related after all..? because now this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_y2Ys_Yeg&feature=youtu.be
as you can see, when i am holding down the power-button, it keeps on resetting the phone on its own... and now you can also see how GREEN the screen gets when im booting up....

should i try to use Kies to download the newest firmware, or?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The constant reset is hardware, IMO. The green may be screen/digitizer or hardware. It's safe to say that whoever replaced it for you will take no responsibility, as he noted it was not an OEM replacement(not saying it's his fault at all).
What happens when you connect to Kies? Can you access/backup the phone?

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
The constant reset is hardware, IMO. The green may be screen/digitizer or hardware. It's safe to say that whoever replaced it for you will take no responsibility, as he noted it was not an OEM replacement(not saying it's his fault at all).
What happens when you connect to Kies? Can you access/backup the phone?

ok, so im officially a very sad person now. so now im $130 for the digitizer + $20 for the installation shorter AND im now completely without a phone.... hooooray! :( AND ALL of your amazing help for...THIS... :( i am so sorry....and frustrated over this right now. :(

so. im trying to enter download mode (holding down volume down, home and power), but when the screen appears, it just automatically restarts the phone....

however, i can connect to kies 3 the normal way by starting up the phone and then it gets connected to Kies...... but i cannot do much cuz it says "this entity is locked, please unlock your phone first", and since i cannot see my screen, well... then im screwed up =/

now what do i do..?

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

OK! so now at the Android system recovery menu.... now what do i do from here? i got following options available:
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

which one do i choose? i have the usb cable connected to my pc, but i cannot do anything on Kies since it says "you can now connect your thing to the pc"....

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
This is out of my knowledge base, but according to the referenced article by Golfdriver97:

Step 4: For all variants mentioned, you should now be looking at a menu list with a blue highlighted bar. Using the volume rockers will navigate through the menus, and generally power is your accept button. The S2 might have a little twist. Upon getting into recovery, you can push up, down, up to enable the back button. This also allows to use the power button as the accept button. See figure 1.

Important note: When navigating around in recovery and you select something, you may be redirected to a page with about a dozen answers. Almost all will be no with yes buried in the middle. This is to prevent accidental accepting of an option.

4b: To actually have you use this guide, you can clear your phone's cache - wipe cache partition. See figure 2. There are many cache clearing programs on Play, and while they may clear the cache as well as rebooting into recovery, this is merely an alternate method. Click power to accept.

Step 5: When completed, you can navigate back, or usually after completing any action in Recovery, Reboot Now will be highlighted at the root menu. See figure 3. This is your gate back to running Android through the User Interface. Click power to accept.

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
ok, so i will first choose "wipe cache partition" and then just "reboot system now" when that is done, yes? i haven't chosen anything yet..

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That's what I would do. <fingers crossed for luck!>

Shouldn't be scary, as it's not a factory reset. Although that may be the next step if this doesn't work....

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
That's what I would do. <fingers crossed for luck!>

Shouldn't be scary, as it's not a factory reset. Although that may be the next step if this doesn't work....

hmmm... ok, then that leaves me to one thing... i have important photos and notes stored on my internal memory .. should i go to regular mode and transfer the photos the normal way before i start this process, maybe?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Sure. Now that we know that you can access that menu, even with the "re-boot" issue, you can always get back to the menu. Try "reboot system now" and that may work - what I mean is that if you can get your phone to boot up normally and access everything, wipe cache may not be needed. If you do a cache wipe, then reboot, I believe everything stored on/in the phone will be untouched and intact.

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Sure. Now that we know that you can access that menu, even with the "re-boot" issue, you can always get back to the menu. Try "reboot system now" and that may work - what I mean is that if you can get your phone to boot up normally and access everything, wipe cache may not be needed. If you do a cache wipe, then reboot, I believe everything stored on/in the phone will be untouched and intact.

hey.. this is interesting.. after it reset itself 2-3 times, i got to THIS window: Bildr.no

and im now trying the firmware update fix as you linked me to.. :) you recommend that before cache partition delete, yes?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Let's see what happens after the "Downloading" finishes. If it boots up, YAY!!! If it still acts wonky, with the constant reboots, I think I would try the "Wipe Cache Partition" then "Reboot" again. Then firmware update if issues persist.

**Also, it may be the photo, but I don't see the green tinge in the "Downloading" screen... Good sign!!

Last edited:

oriugg

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Let's see what happens after the "Downloading" finishes. If it boots up, YAY!!! If it still acts wonky, with the constant reboots, I think I would try the "Wipe Cache Partition" then "Reboot" again. Then firmware update if issues persist.

**Also, it may be the photo, but I don't see the green tinge in the "Downloading" screen... Good sign!!

"The update for this version cannot be downloaded" is the failure message I get once I try the firmware upgrade... :(

And now I tried the cache partition deletion, but no friggin success. So. what now? :(