Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Coming to Verizon?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
AT&T exclusive right now unfortunately. There is still the HTC One on VZW and the new batch of Motorola Droids to look forward too though.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Verizon is in bed with Motorola (Google I guess too). They make the Droid line for them and it is a huge seller for them. I don't think Verizon will see an HTC One either.

anniecloaks

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about the HTC One. If Verizon gets it I'd be interested if it can take a drop or two. They way people talk seems like the S4 can't take a drop even in a good case. I've got to say, my husbands old Motorola bites the dust about everyday. It's even flown apart a few times. Put it back together and it still works! He even left it on top of his truck. It fell off on the highway. He realized what happened and went back a couple hours later. (no one had run over it) and it still worked! I don't think any brand of smart phone could hold up to him.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I know it's a pipe dream but I really wish VZW would get the Active. I was just in the ATT store playing with one, although the screen is clearly inferior to the S4 and the One, I love the way it feels and also love the whole water resistant deal. I just got the regular S4 on VZ 3 or 4 weeks ago but if given the choice I'd go active.

PlanCakes

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Current phone KIA, is there currently any way to get the Galaxy S4 Active onto a Verizon plan? I would easily pay full price for one if I knew I would be able to unlock it for use with Verizon. I was already looking at the regular 4S but really need a water PROOF solution. The Galaxy S4 Active is perfect sans Verizon option and I don't really have the option to wait for its unlikely announcement on Verizon.

EDIT: Did the research and discovered that because AT&T uses a GSM network (with SIM cards) and Verizon is a CDMA network (No SIM, stupid protocol) the AT&T version of the Galaxy 4S would NEVER work on Verizon's network. Because the flexibility of GSM's SIM cards (and because GSM is more globally excepted) Google Play Store editions of the Galaxy S4 Active are very very very likely to be compatible with GSM and NOT CDMA.

Long story short, if you want the Galaxy S4 Active on the Verizon network your ONLY option is to wait for it to become available either from Verizon OR direct from Samsung as a Developer CDMA Edition (at full retail price).

If, like me, you're looking at the Galaxy S4 but need a pretty solid water proofing system check out Liquipel (no affiliation). The 2012 product was simply a resistant coating but their improved 2013 product offers full water proofing with an Ingress Protection Level of 7 (meaning 1 meter depth of water for 30 minutes - non-use). That should be sufficient for rainy days, sneaky puddles, and forgetting to take your pants off before showering.

I hope this information helps at least one other person out. I'm now stuck with the dilemma of getting the S4 on Verizon (CDMA) or AT&T (GSM). =_=

Last edited:

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Current phone KIA, is there currently any way to get the Galaxy S4 Active onto a Verizon plan? I would easily pay full price for one if I knew I would be able to unlock it for use with Verizon. I was already looking at the regular 4S but really need a water PROOF solution. The Galaxy S4 Active is perfect sans Verizon option and I don't really have the option to wait for its unlikely announcement on Verizon.

EDIT: Did the research and discovered that because AT&T uses a GSM network (with SIM cards) and Verizon is a CDMA network (No SIM, stupid protocol) the AT&T version of the Galaxy 4S would NEVER work on Verizon's network. Because the flexibility of GSM's SIM cards (and because GSM is more globally excepted) Google Play Store editions of the Galaxy S4 Active are very very very likely to be compatible with GSM and NOT CDMA.

Long story short, if you want the Galaxy S4 Active on the Verizon network your ONLY option is to wait for it to become available either from Verizon OR direct from Samsung as a Developer CDMA Edition (at full retail price).

If, like me, you're looking at the Galaxy S4 but need a pretty solid water proofing system check out Liquipel (no affiliation). The 2012 product was simply a resistant coating but their improved 2013 product offers full water proofing with an Ingress Protection Level of 7 (meaning 1 meter depth of water for 30 minutes - non-use). That should be sufficient for rainy days, sneaky puddles, and forgetting to take your pants off before showering.

I hope this information helps at least one other person out. I'm now stuck with the dilemma of getting the S4 on Verizon (CDMA) or AT&T (GSM). =_=

I know you are asking about the Active but with the Motorola X around the corner I might just hold off. Maybe get a dumbphone between now and then. I love Motorola hardware and can't wait to see what the bring with the X.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Another option which isn't ridiculous is to buy the LG Optimus Exceed (3G only, dual core, 1 GB ram, 8 GB onboard with Micro SD expansion) for $99 + 1 month plan $60 (unlimited minutes, unlimted text, 2 GB 3G data) and then cancel the prepaid and activate on your regular line. Pretty cheap for a new, full price 3G phone.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

What about the Casio G'Zone Commando 4GLTE? That's waterproof and comes with a host of outdoor features and a barometer.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d