Samsung Galaxy S5 Low Light with flash flesh tone colors dull ?

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I've just moved from a Nokia Icon to a Samsung S5 phone..
The S5 I received has version 5.0 on it, i tried checking for an update and it said none were available (i thought there was a slightly later version)..

At any rate.. i'm rather disappointed with the camera/flash ability.. i'm assuming its an issue with the camera sensor and or the flash type.. If sitting in a low lit living room, taking a picture of someone from about 3 feet away with the flash.. you end up with dull flesh tones.. almost a blue-yellow sorta washed out look.. not the true skin color..

However, if you do the same picture with an Icon, everything is good.. maybe too good, but more lifelike and the flash is better.
I've read the reviews.. i see that the camera has issues in lower light (the s6 being better i guess)..

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done for these type of shots.. i've tried turning off low light detection, setting iso to auto (made things way too bright and grainy), tried hdr on and off..

I wasnt sure if there was another camera app that did better for this, but i dont see how if its hardware.

Thanks in advance

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've just moved from a Nokia Icon to a Samsung S5 phone..
The S5 I received has version 5.0 on it, i tried checking for an update and it said none were available (i thought there was a slightly later version)..

At any rate.. i'm rather disappointed with the camera/flash ability.. i'm assuming its an issue with the camera sensor and or the flash type.. If sitting in a low lit living room, taking a picture of someone from about 3 feet away with the flash.. you end up with dull flesh tones.. almost a blue-yellow sorta washed out look.. not the true skin color..

However, if you do the same picture with an Icon, everything is good.. maybe too good, but more lifelike and the flash is better.
I've read the reviews.. i see that the camera has issues in lower light (the s6 being better i guess)..

Just wondering if there is anything that can be done for these type of shots.. i've tried turning off low light detection, setting iso to auto (made things way too bright and grainy), tried hdr on and off..

I wasnt sure if there was another camera app that did better for this, but i dont see how if its hardware.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Android Central!

It is probably the different camera sensors. The ICON probably just has a better camera sensor than the S5 and that is why you are seeing the big different. Samsung always had issues with low light performance before the S6 and newer lines.