Samsung Gallery and OneDrive Photos Displayed as Duplicates

TechnicGeek

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I have Samsung Gallery synced to OneDrive. Per schedule photos on internal storage get synced to OneDrive. Strangely photos that I remove from internal storage are soon synced to OneDrive as I find them later showing in Samsung Gallery. Why would removed photos be soon synced to OneDrive is one problem.

Another problem I have is that I cannot distinguish photos on internal storage from photos on OneDrive as they are grouped together. They take screen space too and sometimes I wish to keep photo only on internal storage while have it removed from OneDrive. I cannot do that because there is no way to distinguish internal and cloud photos from each other.

As an example, here are images from March 26th 2022. How to tell which Smith is on internal storage and which Smith is in the cloud?

smith-dublicate-photo.jpg

Same when searching for photo because I don't know which I have on internal storage and which is in the cloud. If I want to upload photo and it happens to be the one in the cloud it must first be downloaded and then uploaded.

Sometimes I wish I could do a bulk cleanup and either remove certain photos from internal storage and sometimes from OneDrive. I cannot do that as I have mentioned. It would be nice if I could hide photos on internal storage to have OneDrive photos displayed so I could remove them or do so vice versa.

Thanks

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I sync photos to OneDrive. However, when accessing photos from the Gallery app, only photos on internal storage are displayed there. My advice is to avoid the OneDrive app and use Gallery.

Also, if you do a Smart Switch backup to your OneDrive, you are creating duplicates of every photo and you will see all the duplicates if you're accessing them from OneDrive.

OneDrive is not creating duplicates. You have the same pics in multiple locations (happened to me a few years ago).

For me, OneDrive is nothing more than a backup.

Sent from my SM-S908U1

TechnicGeek

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Use Samsung secure folder for the pictures for internal storage, see if that solves the issue.

I use Secure Folder for secondary account for anonymity purposes. I won't be able to access pictures in Secure Folder from my normal use profile.

I sync photos to OneDrive. However, when accessing photos from the Gallery app, only photos on internal storage are displayed there. My advice is to avoid the OneDrive app and use Gallery.

Also, if you do a Smart Switch backup to your OneDrive, you are creating duplicates of every photo and you will see all the duplicates if you're accessing them from OneDrive.

You think after uninstalling OneDrive app I will no longer see photos from the cloud in Samsung Gallery?
I only used Smart Switch for transferring data when upgrading smartphone.

Last edited:

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I think that uninstalling the OneDrive app will do nothing for that. I never saw any duplicate photos in my Gallery app. Only when viewing photos in the OneDrive app did I ever see duplicates.

How I use it now: I have multiple 'albums' in my Gallery app. I performed an initial sync with OneDrive to get all of my photos from my phone backed up on OneDrive. After the initial sync, I disabled sync on almost all of my albums. The only albums that actively sync with OneDrive are the Camera album and a handful of others where I regularly move pics, or save via download.

TechnicGeek

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The only albums that actively sync with OneDrive are the Camera album and a handful of others where I regularly move pics, or save via download.
I described them as duplicates but they are not duplicates on the same storage. They just appear next to each other when one is stored internally and another in the cloud. Do you see them twice next to each other in Samsung Gallery with albums that you actively sync?

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I described them as duplicates but they are not duplicates on the same storage. They just appear next to each other when one is stored internally and another in the cloud. Do you see them twice next to each other in Samsung Gallery with albums that you actively sync?
I do not.

Peripera

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I have the same issue as you. I turned Sync with OneDrive in the Gallery Settings, and now I see duplicates of my pictures in the Gallery app. One of them is located in the phone of course, but the other location is OneDrive itself.

Did you ever find out how to not show the duplicates?

TechnicGeek

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I have the same issue as you. I turned Sync with OneDrive in the Gallery Settings, and now I see duplicates of my pictures in the Gallery app. One of them is located in the phone of course, but the other location is OneDrive itself.

Did you ever find out how to not show the duplicates?
No. I decided to turn off Gallery Sync and just use OneDrive's backup. The upside with OneDrive app is if you want to recover deleted photos in your device and they are no longer there you can find it in OneDrive backup. The downside is that every photo and/or video will be automatically backed up and if you don't check once in a while you will end up with little space and will need to go through many to free up space.

Gallery Sync does not have OneDrive's upside i.e. backup because it will delete media as soon as you delete it from your device and you won't be able to recover it from the cloud. But at least you won't need to go through uploaded media once in a while because only what you have on your device will be synced.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It happens with gallery and Google Photos sync to back them up I rather have that in case something happens then periodically I'll clean gallery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d