Can't Share Photos from Gallery App since Update

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
Since the 14.0 update, I've been able to select a photo(s) from the Gallery App and share them. The share screen starts to come up and then crashes closing the Gallery App.
I can share videos from the same location in the Gallery App.
I can share photos from the Files App.
I have tried opening the phone in Safe Mode. Same issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Is this the stock Gallery app, or the Google Photos app?

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
Sorry, I should have included that. Its an S22+ and its the stock Gallery App. There are so many images on the phone, I don't want to change apps just to avoid the issue. We have a standard S22 in our family and it has no issues at all.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android 14 forum to the S22 forum, since it's more likely an issue specific to the phone or Samsung's Gallery app/share function.

Try clearing the app cache/data for the Gallery app in Settings>Apps, force stop it, then open it again. Clearing the app data won't affect any of your photos -- the actual photo files are separate from this, and the Gallery app's database will rebuild quickly once you reopen it.

@mustang7757, have you noticed any problems trying to share photos through Samsung Gallery?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm sneaking in here. I'm on Android 14 on s22 Ultra & can share from Samsungs Gallery App.

Maybe, since Android 14 was a major update, it might be worth clearing the cache partition. That's usually where I start if there's a problem after an update, along with @B. Diddy's suggestion regarding the app cache/data.
Good suggestion

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
Thank you guys. We tried clearing the App cache and even had a Samsung tech remotely take over the phone last night and I could see them clear cache from multiple locations. After trying many things over 30 mins, they gave up and told me to email the address on the developer information of the App. So, at this stage, I'm afraid we are stuck.

I have an S22 standard and have no issues. It only happens on the wifes +

One thing of note, sometimes when we reboot the phone, the function works... Once. Then it crashes the app. I really don't understand why it would work one time. It doesn't happen every time we reboot, but it does happen. When the update took place, she had most of her memory full. It has since been cleared, but I wonder if it did not impact the installation. Unfortunitely, I cant find a way to attempt a re-installation.

I'm beginning to think we are going to have to buy a new phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You cleared the app cache, but did you also clear the app data for the Gallery app? Also, did support give you the email for the developer of the Gallery app? Wouldn't that be Samsung themselves, or are you using a 3rd party gallery app?

Also, did you try BerryBubbles's suggestion of wiping the system cache partition? https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/clear-cache-galaxy-s22

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
You cleared the app cache, but did you also clear the app data for the Gallery app? Also, did support give you the email for the developer of the Gallery app? Wouldn't that be Samsung themselves, or are you using a 3rd party gallery app?

Also, did you try BerryBubbles's suggestion of wiping the system cache partition? https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/clear-cache-galaxy-s22
You guys are great. Really appreciate the diligence.
Yes, we cleared the app data as well. Also cleared the phone cache as suggested in the link last night with one of the techs.
The tech told me to use the email that was shown in the About info of the app. It was a noreply email at Samsung , so they are the developer. He told me he confirmed it was actually an active email, though I don't believe it and I have not had a reply.
They then told me to take the phone to a certified tech store. I called them first. They said it sounds like something went wrong in the install and suggest I backup my info to Google Drive and do a factory reset.
So these are my fun filled plans for the evening unless someone comes up with something different.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
You guys are great. Really appreciate the diligence.
Yes, we cleared the app data as well. Also cleared the phone cache as suggested in the link last night with one of the techs.
The tech told me to use the email that was shown in the About info of the app. It was a noreply email at Samsung , so they are the developer. He told me he confirmed it was actually an active email, though I don't believe it and I have not had a reply.
They then told me to take the phone to a certified tech store. I called them first. They said it sounds like something went wrong in the install and suggest I backup my info to Google Drive and do a factory reset.
So these are my fun filled plans for the evening unless someone comes up with something different.
It's possible another app is causing it to crash. The Gallery app allows you to share to different apps (e.g. Outlook, Gmail, Messages, Facebook, etc.).

Before wiping your device and sending it in, try the Repair apps in recovery mode. I believe it is the last option. It will go through and repair all your apps.

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
It's possible another app is causing it to crash. The Gallery app allows you to share to different apps (e.g. Outlook, Gmail, Messages, Facebook, etc.).

Before wiping your device and sending it in, try the Repair apps in recovery mode. I believe it is the last option. It will go through and repair all your apps.
Thanks for the advice.
Didn't I remove the alterantive apps possibility when I ran the device in Safe Mode? My understanding is this was the reason I was asked to do it. The app crashed in Safe Mode as well.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.
Didn't I remove the alterantive apps possibility when I ran the device in Safe Mode? My understanding is this was the reason I was asked to do it. The app crashed in Safe Mode as well.
Safe mode doesn't disable or remove any apps. It boots the device with minimal services running. Since Gallery is baked into OneUI, I don't think its services get disabled in Safe mode.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
We are going to back it up and do a factory reset tonight.
We have been advised by the local shop to do the back up on Google Drives as opposed to Samsung. So that is the plan.
Will the factory reset take me back to OS 13, and then update to 14?
Again, appreciate everyone giving this some thought.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
We have been advised by the local shop to do the back up on Google Drives as opposed to Samsung. So that is the plan.
That sucks. No the factory reset will not revert you to Android 13. It will completely wipe your device and download and install a fresh copy of Android 14.

I would suggest only restoring just your data (e.g. photos, documents, etc.) from Google Drive and not apps or app settings. It's a bigger PITA, but it won't restore any apps or settings that could have been the cause. It forces you to reinstall a fresh copy of your apps.

BootyBoater

Dec 6, 2023
Visit site
That sucks. No the factory reset will not revert you to Android 13. It will completely wipe your device and download and install a fresh copy of Android 14.

I would suggest only restoring just your data (e.g. photos, documents, etc.) from Google Drive and not apps or app settings. It's a bigger PITA, but it won't restore any apps or settings that could have been the cause. It forces you to reinstall a fresh copy of your apps.
Excellent advice. Again, thanks to all. I will update tomorrow.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
A secondary backup using Samsung's Smart Switch wouldn't hurt. I use Smart Switch for PC. You can individually choose what to restore if needed. It doesn't hurt to have two forms of backup, just incase.
😊
As @Village_Idiot suggested, it's probably best to start with restoring data, docs, etc first. See if Bluemail preforms as it's supposed too before adding all your other apps.