Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Today I'm trading in my 3rd device to At&t for $200 credit - why risk dealing with Samsung? From what is said here about their CS and from speaking to Samsung reps myself I wouldn't try it for half off even.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Today I'm trading in my 3rd device to At&t for $200 credit - why risk dealing with Samsung? From what is said here about their CS and from speaking to Samsung reps myself I wouldn't try it for half off even.

I would never send in an expensive device and hope for the best. I always do mine in person at Tmobile or Best Buy.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Some good ones are the people who bought a new phone for $50, unwrapped it and sent it in. Samsung waited 2 weeks to check it so by the time they did the battery was drained. They then rejected the phone because "battery will not hold charge". Well of course it won't if you let it sit for 2 weeks and don't charge it.
I disagree. If you buy a new phone of any brand it has probably been sitting in the box for well over two weeks. The promo I used was the BOGO which specified Note 5 and S7 variants. Samsung fully honored my properly prepared Note 5.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I disagree. If you buy a new phone of any brand it has probably been sitting in the box for well over two weeks. The promo I used was the BOGO which specified Note 5 and S7 variants. Samsung fully honored my properly prepared Note 5.
I'm not sure what you disagree with. People sent in phones after resetting them, they were dead by the time Samsung checked them, Samsung declined them due to bad batteries.

coolguy27

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
So I returned my phone and fedex confirm they received it today. I checked samsung.com under my orders and looks like they changed my trade in value from $25 to $200. Aint that a b*tch! I didn't want to roll the dice and wait for samsung to approve my trade in after the return policy expires.
Now I have to wait and see if they will give me my full refund.

htcwon

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Just to add one data point, I did jump at the deal, but I called Samsung to make sure that my S3 which was still in great condition would count. They said yes, of course, and so I ran with it. Then this thread popped up and I got worried, but sure enough they accepted the S3. The (replacement) battery was amazing and didn't run down so that wasn't an issue given that it did take them several weeks to test it. Anyway, I wanted to post since I figured people who didn't have their trade in honored would post, and it isn't clear at all if that is a huge percentage or tiny given that people who had theirs honored are much less likely to post.

The accepted return shows the s3 as "product shipped" on the Samsung website. They said that they don't send an email if the phone is accepted, only if it isn't.

I ordered on the last day of the sale and got the new phone on July 18th and shipped my phone back that same day.

I hope those who aren't having their orders honored will win the dispute.

I like Samsung phones, but do have to admit Apple has much better service even if I personally find their phones overpriced and boring compared to android. That said for $425 the unlocked s8 is a heck of a deal with or without world class customer service.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
The accepted return shows the s3 as "product shipped" on the Samsung website. They said that they don't send an email if the phone is accepted, only if it isn't.

They did send me an e-mail when it was finally accepted after about 6 weeks.

2017-08-08_LI (2).jpg

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

They did send me an e-mail when it was finally accepted after about 6 weeks.

View attachment 265441

Product ship is the only confirmation one has to know if trade in was accepted? I thought "confirmed" wasgood then it changes to product shipped? Hmm

coolguy27

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
"Dear Customer,

We are writing regarding the Trade-In Order you have recently placed. Unfortunately, your Trade-In Device had been rejected and you were charged. We have made changes in the evaluation process of Trade-In Devices and your phone has met the new requirements. We are refunding the amount you were charged and it will take 5-7 business days for the credit to show up on your original payment method. The specific information for your order is as follows:"

Got this email today. To bad I already sent it back over a week ago.

JeBe4

Banned
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
"Dear Customer,

We are writing regarding the Trade-In Order you have recently placed. Unfortunately, your Trade-In Device had been rejected and you were charged. We have made changes in the evaluation process of Trade-In Devices and your phone has met the new requirements. We are refunding the amount you were charged and it will take 5-7 business days for the credit to show up on your original payment method. The specific information for your order is as follows:"

Got this email today. To bad I already sent it back over a week ago.

How convenient - I know people who haven't even been charged but they got their device weeks ago - and the trade in unit was received- no charge for any - this "deal" was so zany

itsfighter

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Finally, after 5 weeks of follow ups, the customer service representative re-escalated my issue on Tuesday and today I received an email that my trade in was accepted (Iphone 4 in very good condition). Glad I didn't return or disputed the charge.

Dear Customer,

We are writing regarding the Trade-In Order you have recently placed. Unfortunately, your Trade-In Device had been rejected and you were charged. We have made changes in the evaluation process of Trade-In Devices and your phone has met the new requirements. We are refunding the amount you were charged and it will take 5-7 business days for the credit to show up on your original payment method. The specific information for your order is as follows:

Order#: XXXXXXXXXX

We value you as a loyal Samsung Customer and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Samsung Customer Care

I really like my new Galaxy s8+ and now I can feel better coz everytime I looked at the phone this issue was bothering me. However I will think twice next time before doing trade in with samsung. Eventhough they say they are waiting for decision from management but look like they are waiting to see how far the customer going with the follow ups and pressure and finally giving refund. Not good customer service. All the best

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I traded in a Galaxy S3. They received it on 7/24 and I received confirmation that the trade in was successful on 8/22. I was expecting the worst, but am relieved that it worked out. I am unlikely to try another mail in trade in again. Too much relying on another party.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali