Samsung Message to Message by Google

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I am wanting to switch to Messages by Google from Samsung Message. When I enable Messages by Google and make it my default. My messages do not sync over from Samsung Messages. Samsung S23 Ultra. Alot of them are from work and I need them. When I switch back to Samsung they do sync though. I tried switching defaults just to see if it worked the other way.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
RCS conversations are encrypted so those will NOT 'port' over to Google's app (same thing if you start an RCS conversation in Google Messages and switch to another app). But other than that, any conversation over SMS/MMS should just show up if all permissions are correctly set for the messaging app.

Are the conversations 'missing' on this category? Have you checked the Spam folder in Google Messages in case the numbers in that conversation are flagged for spam? Is there anything 'common' between the missing threads?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I forgot to ask, but this reminded me... I don't have any RCS option on the stock Samsung messages app on my factory unlocked Flip 3, but I do when I swap my SIM card into my factory unlocked Pixels using the built-in Google messages app.

I'm on AT&T. What gives? 🤔😉

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to ask, but this reminded me... I don't have any RCS option on the stock Samsung messages app on my factory unlocked Flip 3, but I do when I swap my SIM card into my factory unlocked Pixels using the built-in Google messages app.

I'm on AT&T. What gives? 🤔😉
Unlocked Samsung phones for some reason, do not support RCS through the Samsung Message app. Probably some politics with the carriers, as it worked on carrier locked devices. Someone came up with a workaround, but it would eventually fail.
😟

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
Unlocked Samsung phones for some reason, do not support RCS through the Samsung Message app. Probably some politics with the carriers, as it worked on carrier locked devices. Someone came up with a workaround, but it would eventually fail.
Wow, didn't know that one.

Google Messages has been my goto since I've switched between OnePlus, Pixel and S23+.

(Also why I use Nova Launcher on all Android platforms as well).

Reactions: J Dubbs

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Exactly true , only one I've seen was sprint back in the days unlocked firmware had RCS , there was a short period where TMO/ATT a tweak could get RCS on Samsung messages with unlocked firmware but got patched up.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly true , only one I've seen was sprint back in the days unlocked firmware had RCS , there was a short period where TMO/ATT a tweak could get RCS on Samsung messages with unlocked firmware but got patched up.
Oh that's right, I forgot about Sprint. Samsung Messages RCS on Sprint did work on unlocked models. I was always hopeful that it would eventually happen for the rest of us non- Sprint users.

Fortunately, Google just took over the reins with their Messages app.
☺️

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Oh that's right, I forgot about Sprint. Samsung Messages RCS on Sprint did work on unlocked models. I was always hopeful that it would eventually happen for the rest of us non- Sprint users.

Fortunately, Google just took over the reins with their Messages app.
☺️
Like someone else mentioned, I didn't know that one 🤯 Thank you for educating me 😉

It looks like I have more to learn about Android history lol. So should I install Google messages and switch over to that I wonder? Will it offer RCS on my Samsung?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Like someone else mentioned, I didn't know that one 🤯 Thank you for educating me 😉

It looks like I have more to learn about Android history lol. So should I install Google messages and switch over to that I wonder? Will it offer RCS on my Samsung?
Android education is an ongoing event for me. I continually learn things here at Android Central! 😀

Installing Google's Messages App on your Unlocked Flip 3 should work fine for RCS. It does on my Unlocked Galaxy S22 Ultra. Google seems to be serious about refining the app & adding new features. Of course, you know this as you use it on your Pixels.

I initially switched to Google's app from Samsung's app as the spam filtering is really good on the Google version. After T-Mobile's zillionth data breach, 😟, I was flooded with mass group messages. The Samsung app spam filters didn't help, whereas, the Google app filtered them to spam.

Occasionally, I toggle the default back to Samsung's app for a message or two, depending on the feature I want, then toggle the default back to Google's version. I find I do that less & less, as Google keeps updating their version. I can't remember the last time Samsung introduced a new feature on their version. But then, there's a lot of things I can't remember the last time that...
🤔☺️

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Android education is an ongoing event for me. I continually learn things here at Android Central!

Installing Google's Messages App on your Unlocked Flip 3 should work fine for RCS. It does on my Unlocked Galaxy S22 Ultra. Google seems to be serious about refining the app & adding new features. Of course, you know this as you use it on your Pixels.

I initially switched to Google's app from Samsung's app as the spam filtering is really good on the Google version. After T-Mobile's zillionth data breach, , I was flooded with mass group messages. The Samsung app spam filters didn't help, whereas, the Google app filtered them to spam.

Occasionally, I toggle the default back to Samsung's app for a message or two, depending on the feature I want, then toggle the default back to Google's version. I find I do that less & less, as Google keeps updating their version. I can't remember the last time Samsung introduced a new feature on their version. But then, there's a lot of things I can't remember the last time that...
I like to say I have good experience on Android but always learn something new

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Android education is an ongoing event for me. I continually learn things here at Android Central! 😀

I initially switched to Google's app from Samsung's app as the spam filtering is really good on the Google version. After T-Mobile's zillionth data breach, 😟, I was flooded with mass group messages. The Samsung app spam filters didn't help, whereas, the Google app filtered them to spam.

🤔☺️
I'm going to give Google messages a shot... thanks for the awesome feedback 😀 😉

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Is there anyway to get the RCS texts from Verizon Message+ into Google Messages?

Verizon is shutting down Message+ this spring and I hate to lose my text history.
Uh Oh! This is going to confuse my Sis, she's not phone tech savvy. If she asks her son for help, he just tells her he can't help & to buy an iPhone. I guess I better plan a spring vacation to see her. Thanks for the heads up.
😊