Samsung Messages or Google messages

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a bug on Google messages where I get duplicate notifications on my Watch 5. I was going to try and install Samsung messages on my watch and there's no way to do it. Even on my S23 ultra, the app is there and I can use it but there's no way to install it on my watch. I can't even seem to find it in either the play store or the Galaxy Store. Sure I can use it on my phone but I won't receive notifications on my watch since I can't install it there.

I can go into the Galaxy wearable app and turn on notifications for Samsung messages but I still don't get the text notifications on my watch.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a bug on Google messages where I get duplicate notifications on my Watch 5. I was going to try and install Samsung messages on my watch and there's no way to do it. Even on my S23 ultra, the app is there and I can use it but there's no way to install it on my watch. I can't even seem to find it in either the play store or the Galaxy Store. Sure I can use it on my phone but I won't receive notifications on my watch since I can't install it there.

I can go into the Galaxy wearable app and turn on notifications for Samsung messages but I still don't get the text notifications on my watch.
You may have to reset your watch. I thought I saw you post on another thread that you transferred over from a pixel. Any chance that you disabled or deleted the Samsung messaging app on the watch when you were on the pixel?

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That's strange; I have Samsung and Google messages on my Watch 6 Classic. I hate to say it, but maybe it's time for a factory reset on the watch or the S23 Ultra... I know it's painful, and I hate when this is suggested for me, but it may just be where you need to be.
I was thinking the same. It was pre-installed on my Husband's & my Watch 6 Classics & my Sister's Watch 5.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231113_081909_Galaxy Watch6 Manager.jpg
    Screenshot_20231113_081909_Galaxy Watch6 Manager.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: mustang7757

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok. It seems that the multiple notifications are a bug from Google messages. I reset the watch and turned on notifications for Samsung messages and as my default and it only gives me one notification. While Google messages still gives me two notifications for one sms. So I guess I'm going to switch to Samsung messages unfortunately. I guess my other option is to reset my phone but I don't think I have the head space to do that anytime soon. Just the idea of having to log back into everything is daunting and takes days for me to do.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Ok. It seems that the multiple notifications are a bug from Google messages. I reset the watch and turned on notifications for Samsung messages and as my default and it only gives me one notification. While Google messages still gives me two notifications for one sms. So I guess I'm going to switch to Samsung messages unfortunately. I guess my other option is to reset my phone but I don't think I have the head space to do that anytime soon. Just the idea of having to log back into everything is daunting and takes days for me to do.
They update Google messages pretty frequently, so hopefully it will be patched out. You did try uninstalling Google messages on your phone?

I also doubt you removed Samsung messages from your watch, I would expect it just didn't get installed/enabled because you originally set it up on a Pixel.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
They update Google messages pretty frequently, so hopefully it will be patched out. You did try uninstalling Google messages on your phone?

I also doubt you removed Samsung messages from your watch, I would expect it just didn't get installed/enabled because you originally set it up on a Pixel.
Good point on the Samsung messages app. No I didn't try uninstalling Google messages on my phone. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Restoring a phone takes me days also. I need to reset my s22U, but I'm trying to holdout till the s24 line launch. My s22U has signal issues.

Do either of you use a password manager app? I use Enpass, and it makes logging into apps easy. I'd never be able to create unique and secure passwords without a password manager anyway since I have so many different apps.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Do either of you use a password manager app? I use Enpass, and it makes logging into apps easy. I'd never be able to create unique and secure passwords without a password manager anyway since I have so many different apps.
I have tried but I can't seem to get on board with one. If there was an easy way to import all my saved passwords from multiple places, I would probably give it another shot. I have most of my passwords saved using Google or Samsung. But I also have a couple of 2fa apps that I have to use.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
For years (since at least Note 5), I've used Microsoft Authenticator as a password manager. it will generate passwords for you, if you like. moreover, every password I save/generate in Microsoft Edge is automatically populated in the Authenticator app. way cool.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have SplashID on my PC, which doesn't help in this case! 😄 It's a carry over from the days of my PalmOS & Blackberry devices. Although the mobile versions worked fine on Palms & Blackberrys, the Android version had nothing but issues. It seemed to keep locking paid users out of the app. I decided it wasn't worth the battle.

I didn't venture out to try any other cloud or on device apps as I never really felt I had a good grasp on the best alternative for myself. Maybe it's time to dip my toes back into the water. I'll look into Enpass. Thanks, @Laura Knotek! 😄

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I knew there had to be at least one other person using Enpass!

It doesn't seem very popular for whatever reason.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I got it years ago when a lifetime licence was available. It's nice because it works on both PC and. ANDROID
Same, for the same reason. Is it subscription based now? I didn't realise. I also liked that it can autosync my vaults to a cloud service, but they don't have their own copy of my vault to lose.

Regardless though, I definitely second that everyone should be using a password manager, no matter which one. As long as it isn't Lastpass.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I got it years ago when a lifetime licence was available. It's nice because it works on both PC and. ANDROID
I have not tried Enpass. But I have used Roboform for years for same reason. It saves my passwords as well as can generate a password. It syncs with all my devices phone, pc and iPad.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I have a bug on Google messages where I get duplicate notifications on my Watch 5. I was going to try and install Samsung messages on my watch and there's no way to do it...
I've still got the bug whereby Google Messages just doesn't open/work on Watch5. If I have Samsung Messages set as default app for SMS/Text on the phone, then at the watch when I try to open Google Messages I get the error message saying I need to set Google Messages as default app for SMS/Text. If I do have Google Messages set as default app on the phone, then at the watch it doesn't seem to recognize it as installed on the phone, giving me the error message telling me to continue on the phone to install it and taking me to Play Store (even though it is already). Rather odd. In the past, there were at least some others that also had this problem (on the web I can find the exact same description). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any confirmed posting for them overcoming it. I can work around it by simply just using the notifications that come to the watch. However, that's not the same. I can also successfully use Samsung Messages on the watch and phone. However, then on the phone I miss out on the slightly better Google Messages app functionality (like reactions with iPhone).

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I've still got the bug whereby Google Messages just doesn't open/work on Watch5. If I have Samsung Messages set as default app for SMS/Text on the phone, then at the watch when I try to open Google Messages I get the error message saying I need to set Google Messages as default app for SMS/Text. If I do have Google Messages set as default app on the phone, then at the watch it doesn't seem to recognize it as installed on the phone, giving me the error message telling me to continue on the phone to install it and taking me to Play Store (even though it is already). Rather odd. In the past, there were at least some others that also had this problem (on the web I can find the exact same description). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any confirmed posting for them overcoming it. I can work around it by simply just using the notifications that come to the watch. However, that's not the same. I can also successfully use Samsung Messages on the watch and phone. However, then on the phone I miss out on the slightly better Google Messages app functionality (like reactions with iPhone).
I'm in the same boat and dilemma. I'd much rather use Google messages too. For some reason the watch 5 doesn't work well with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana