Samsung throttling - No phone of the year

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Those are all valid, and if I had trade-ins in mind, I would agree with you 100%. That's how they got me to trade my Note 9 in for the S20 Ultra. I got a great credit, plus like $200 in Samsung credit, which I spent on a Chromebook 4+.

But without trade-ins, straight up, adopting tech day one is a terrible idea.
I agree with that assessment

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So going by the title the question needs to be asked...

If the S22U is not the Phone of the Year... what Android phone is currently out there that is the better and deserves to be Phone of the Year?

I personally think MKBHD will call the S22U it... even though he still dailys the S21U.

I don't want anyone to think I'm saying this isn't a good phone. I have zero complaints so far. I've just been seeing a lot of mention of this with the latest saying that even the patch doesn't really stop the throttling. Again it does everything I need without any problems. What I wanted to know is does this information change your mind about the device? Has any of this caused you pause or second thoughts?
When I had the S10+ and the scandal came out about the fingerprint reader opening for any finger with certain screen protectors, that one affected me when the biometric feature was turned off for all my financial apps. Even after the patch most of them would not restore fingerprint unlock. That affected me, upset me a little sand frankly seemed hard for me to believe when the FPR barely worked for me before the update. Lol. This one, unless you're a super power user, isn't even really that bad. I mean it saves battery and keeps my phone healthy, oh no. Hahaha. But these are my feelings. How do you feel?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

If the S22U is not the Phone of the Year... what Android phone is currently out there that is the better and deserves to be Phone of the Year?

I personally think MKBHD will call the S22U it... even though he still dailys the S21U.

I'm not so certain that reviewers like MKBHD or MrWhosTheBoss will be as forgiving when it comes to their mock awards. I'm sure they will have some nice things to say about the device, I mean it is a very nice device, but this debacle may taint people's opinion of this device. I'm not even sure why when this comes up it almost always is in reference to this device since Game Optimizer is on every Samsung since at least the S20.

As for what could be better...? I've seen some pretty good reviews for other devices but IMO Samsung has cast doubt on all of its devices this year.

On a side note, I'm surprised that this device hasn't broken the top 5 here at AC. I mean the S20 is still in it, the S21 never made it. I was sure the S22 would be there.

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm fairly certain at least the Ultra will top many lists this year. Even in an off year for Samsung, it still smokes every other device released this year. So far, it's not even close.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with the S22 line hardware at all... its the fact that once again Samsung has shown they're willing to deceive the public for (potentially) better sales.. just like Apple's scandals, and most other big tech companies. They all bring these things on themselves and erode away at their reputations... but they continue doing it so it must not be hurting them too badly financially ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I have to say though these companies are really fueling the new privacy based Linux and de-googled phone movement :eek:

I personally trust Google the most (although they're far from perfect ;) )..... Samsung and Apple are a distant 2nd and 3rd.

Hardware doesn't matter to me if I can't trust the company :-\

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So, what will be the phone of the year?

Oneplus 10 (not proving to be popular due to RAM and storage capacity outside of China; and it breaks in two like a candy bar)

Pixel 6-series (unfavorable reviews by many; more so than the S22)

Maybe the iphone 14 or one of the new Motos coming out?

At this time, even though I returned two S22s, it is the best phone out there. And I'm getting ready to order another to give it three tries.

As for trusting a company.
9UcPCy4.gif

Maybe I'm too cynical, but there are only three companies I trust; Heckler and Koch, Sig Sauer and Beretta. There is no phone company, vehicle company, appliance company, or any other company I can actually say I trust. And if I was trusting a company, an information tech company like Alphabet would be right at the end of the list next to facebook, instagram, TicTok, Twitter, etc.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have no speed or major lag. I do have occasional issues with this app. But clearing cache and force stop then try again usually works. And once or twice theme store takes few extra sec to load. But I love my ultra.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So, what will be the phone of the year?

Oneplus 10 (not proving to be popular due to RAM and storage capacity outside of China; and it breaks in two like a candy bar)

Pixel 6-series (unfavorable reviews by many; more so than the S22)

Maybe the iphone 14 or one of the new Motos coming out?

At this time, even though I returned two S22s, it is the best phone out there. And I'm getting ready to order another to give it three tries.

As for trusting a company.
9UcPCy4.gif

Maybe I'm too cynical, but there are only three companies I trust; Heckler and Koch, Sig Sauer and Beretta. There is no phone company, vehicle company, appliance company, or any other company I can actually say I trust. And if I was trusting a company, an information tech company like Alphabet would be right at the end of the list next to facebook, instagram, TicTok, Twitter, etc.

I think Smith & Wesson is still pretty trustworthy... and for solid mid-range products I still like Ruger. Remington needed to go though...

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm 99% certain OP is confusing Game Optimizer with Game Launcher. They're connected but they're not the same app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332