Says there is no memory to transfer app from internal to SD card- when the card is empty

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Just had to get a new phone due to my old one is no longer supported- the phone recognizes the SD card, but when I try to transfer a app that can be transfered it goes to 90% and than says "Not enough space" I reset the SD card, and also went into the developer options to accept internal apps to SD card, and that did not fix it. Does this sound like a HW issue?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

While it is not a great idea to move apps to SD, they usually work better from internal memory, they can become corrupted easier, placing apps on SD often doesn't save as much space/memory as you might think.

As to what is going on with you, it could be that you don't have enough internal memory for the transfer. You might think it is as simple as moving the data from point A to point B but some times moving data requires holding the data in a temporary or cached state. Moving from one type of memory to another may also require compressing or conversion before the move which will need free space/memory to preform this action. So it could be that you don't have enough memory on your device and have nothing to do with the SD itself.

To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
A couple additional points -

Moving an app to an SD card does not move the entire app, so you won't get back as much internal storage as you expect to.

There are some unscrupulous people out there that have found a way to 'trick' SD cards into reporting they're bigger than they are. It's possible you fell victim to this. I would ONLY buy SD cards from a reputable brand from a reputable reseller. Example - I would only buy Sandisk SD cards sold and shipped by Amazon. I would not buy on Amazon but sold and shipped by ANY 3rd-party.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
A couple additional points -

Moving an app to an SD card does not move the entire app, so you won't get back as much internal storage as you expect to.

There are some unscrupulous people out there that have found a way to 'trick' SD cards into reporting they're bigger than they are. It's possible you fell victim to this. I would ONLY buy SD cards from a reputable brand from a reputable reseller. Example - I would only buy Sandisk SD cards sold and shipped by Amazon. I would not buy on Amazon but sold and shipped by ANY 3rd-party.
To add to what hallux says here, I would not buy any SD cards from ebay sellers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers