Screen burn in.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I was in a Verizon store today and noticed that both of the 3XL demo units already had some screen burn in.
I know that the demo units are always on and with the brightness at 100%, this is just a reminder for me that I have to watch and make sure I don't have the same image on the screen for long periods of time.
I used to get a lot of burn in on all my Samsung phones, I use my phone for Google maps for hours at a time and after a while you could see the burn in.
I haven't had that issue with my 2XL for some reason but since this is a Samsung screen I guess it is to be expected.
I attached a picture so you can see the line where the notch starts, you can see it much clearer in person.
Also I check the 2 phones for lower speaker distortion and the both have the same issue that mine has so that is 7 phones that I have seen already with the issue. Still hoping that it is just a software issue.

I played with the iPhone 10s Max a bit and maybe thinking I should buy one and try it out but it is not even close for me, the pure Android software is so much better for me.

4849005b55e6d0af5adbd03f6cfe790f.jpg

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I also don't see anything. Where is the burn in supposed to be.

Screen burn in on a demo device isn't really anything new. These devices run constantly to show the device to customers.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I see it. A line across the bottom of the notch to the left edge of the screen. it's hard to see, but it's there.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
Yes it is that line, and I know it is normal for demo units but it seems kinda quick to already show it. It might also be important to know if some people are going to hide the notch for a while, it will probably give you that line even quicker.

Just something to consider.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes it is that line, and I know it is normal for demo units but it seems kinda quick to already show it. It might also be important to know if some people are going to hide the notch for a while, it will probably give you that line even quicker.

Just something to consider.

I don't think anyone hiding the notch will be running the screen 100% brightness 24 hours a day. Think you are trying to make an issue out of nothing here. Burn in could be an issue, but this doesn't show that.

marcocb8

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
I am not making an issue at all, just sharing my observation. I was just surprised how soon it happened to those demo units, it's not like they have a static image on it, the demo that runs on it goes thru a lot of different screens.

But yeah probably no issue for most people. I had burn in on every Samsung I had, like I said , it all depends on how you use it. I am just going to avoid having my Google maps on for long drives.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't think anyone hiding the notch will be running the screen 100% brightness 24 hours a day. Think you are trying to make an issue out of nothing here. Burn in could be an issue, but this doesn't show that.

Actually I just listened to the 400 episode of the Android Central podcast. They were saying people who hide the notch will eventually see a difference in their screen since those part are constantly black. Sorry forgot what was the term they used.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy locally has been running demos since probably the day after the announcement. Or it feels that way. But they are never off and running 24/7 on a loop. iPhones don't run demos at most stores and time out so that's why you likely don't see burn in on them in stores.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it a bit premature to worry about burn-in, especially on OLED scteens which are known for burn-in and is usually a result of user error?

Last edited: