Screen scratches really easy

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
All new phones have Gorilla Glass.

I had the OG Droid for 2 years no protection. Either out of my pocket or in my pocket making sure it was the only thing in that pocket (no change, etc..) and I never got a scratch.

When I got the Bionic the salesperson tried to get me to buy a screen protector and I whipped out my OG droid and took a key to it to prove I didn't need one (can't scratch the glass with a brass key).

PhontomF

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this as well. My last OG Droid I used for over a year and it doesn't have one scratch on the screen. My Bionic is 2 weeks old and already has a lot of micro scratches and a decent size one. I am very careful with it too.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Where did you see that the Bionic has an oleophobic coating? I have not seen that anywhere. If it does, it could make the screen more prone to scratching as it is basically plastic molecules bonded to the screen. The iPhones have this and have reported some problems with the coating.

Motorola doesn't advertise it like apple does, but all you have to do is feel the screen. That's where a large majority of the 'scratches' come from on the iPhone, but the glass itself is untouched. Unless your scratch is very deep, it's not a scratch that's actually on the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
What amazes me is the complaints about scratches and when you delve you find out it usually is from people who carry the device without a sleeve, I have a silicon case for it but when not sitting on my desk it goes into a leather sleeve for me to carry, never does it go naked screen into a pocket, you are asking for a scratch doing so.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a case on mine, not scratches yet, and I actually dropped (or well, it fell off my nightstand because of the short USB cable) it once. Easy way to fix that was to get a retractable USB extension :). But so far, the screen looks brand new, and I only have the case on there, no screen protector. I don't think I'll buy one, it looks like the screen can handle sitting in my pocket, unlike my Chocolate, and not get scratched and abused to pieces.

gabner

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Same experience here. Bionic seems more susceptible to scratches then my other phones were.

Any suggestions to repair the scratches?

Jbairdjr

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I think you can scratch any phone if you carry it in your pocket with other items. I wouldn't complain if this is the way you carry a phone. Neither Verizon nor Motorola said that the screen was scratch proof.
Zagg screens are awesome, and I always have one on my phones. My screens stay clear because I take the little time to protect them.

LrdAnkh#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
You know glass is glass, it will scratch no matter if it is Gorilla or Dinosaur glass, you cannot expect it to. I have found that most people with scratches do not put the phone in a case that covers the glass, they may use a plastic or rubberized case but otherwise the phone is naked. Come on people it is an expensive phone take care of it by protecting it properly and it will be fine treat poorly and you will get scratches. Not because it was this expensive but I have always protected my phones in a sleeve and I have never once had one scratch on any of them in over 15 years.

willlayb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
in the year i had my droid x i had one scratch on the screen, barely noticable, and that was from it falling off my bed when i fell asleep with it next to me. i dropped it multiple times on the pavement, some of the times landing on the screen and no scratches happened from those. no screen protector or case cause i dont like the feeling of either of those items.

so im sticking with the naked bionic with the extended battery. im really not scared of anything sratching the screen like some of you people are.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah,

I've had it a month now and it's perfect. It's in my jean pocket with nothing else or on my desk.

I'm not stupid enough to put it in a pocket with coins or razor blades.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I love how this thread pops up right after the thread "I scratched my bionic with a fork"

This thread says the phone is babied and its scratched, The other takes a fork to it on purpose and comes away with nothing. (Supposedly)

Considering these days we have the luxury of gorilla glass and screen protectors for 1-3$ ea on amazon I cant see why scratches are ever a problem.

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah,

I've had it a month now and it's perfect. It's in my jean pocket with nothing else or on my desk.

I'm not stupid enough to put it in a pocket with coins or razor blades.

I did the same thing and somehow ended up with a scratch on it this past weekend. I can almost buff it out with a microfiber glasses cloth. I ended up getting the SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector after I saw it.

Funny how I went almost two years with nothing on my OG Droid and didn't get a single scratch, but a month in with the Bionic and I get one.

Not a big deal to me really. I'm over the initial shock of getting my first scratch. Hope the SGP Ultra Crystal is as good as advertised.

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Noticed a 1-2mm scratch in the center of my bionics glass. You can feel it with a fingernail. I take great care of my stuff, no clue how it happened. Pretty disappointing to say the least.

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I got my SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector and I have to say that I am impressed. I was able to just about buff my scratch out and then I put the screen protector on. Now I can't tell that a scratch was even there, and the screen protector is so clear. Good $17 investment.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I got my SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector and I have to say that I am impressed. I was able to just about buff my scratch out and then I put the screen protector on. Now I can't tell that a scratch was even there, and the screen protector is so clear. Good $17 investment.

Those sgps are pretty good. I typically use the ultra oleo phobic. I'd still much prefer the glass though. How'd you get the scratch out.

bighaubs

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Just used the microfiber cloth that was included with the screen protector. I could still tell it was there but only barely. Once I put the screen protector on it seemed to have disappeared completely.

eallan

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just used the microfiber cloth that was included with the screen protector. I could still tell it was there but only barely. Once I put the screen protector on it seemed to have disappeared completely.

Likely wasn't as deep as the one I got yesterday then. I bought mine at Costco, so it'll likely go back anyway for the prime. Haven't been very satisfied with it actually.

jazz_nh

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ive had the BB Storm, Storm2 and the DX, kept every phone nakked in my pocket and never had a scratch. Had the Bionic a few weeks now and have 1 scratch on the screen that is deep enough that I can feel it with my fingernail. Never kept the phone in pocket with keys, maybe some change.
Very saddening to see.
I went and got a zagg Invisible shield installed. Hides the scratch very well, but I hate the tacky feel of the zagg shield. I did a scratch test with my fingernail on the zagg shield, and it left dents or grooves in the protector.... very disappointing. Many of my co workers have touched my phone after having the Invisible shield put on and they all agree, that the tacky feeling is something that they would not like.
Does the tacky feeling of the Invisible shield eventually go away ? Or are they always tacky like that ? Im ready to take it off as the tacky feel is bothering me too much.I much rather the slick smooth feel of the glass directly. Thinking on finding a scratch remover.