SD card not detected

nitin_r

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
My Moto X Play has been behaving erratically which I noticed today. It did not show my SD card under Settings --> Storage & USB, and so I connected it to my laptop and there too it did not show. On the phone and laptop, only Internal Storage was shown. So I restarted it once and the same issue. I restarted it again and then surprisingly, it showed the Sandisk SD card and also the folders and data on it. When I connected my phone to the laptop via USB cable, the SD card did not show up. After disconnecting the cable, I checked on the phone and there too, the SD card had vanished!! I restarted my phone once again but no luck! What could be happening with my SD card? Is the card or the phone behaving erratically? I bought this phone last December and inserted a new SD card into my phone only last month.

dinojay52

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a sd card that was working on my phone, suddenly sd card stopped working and my phone cant detect him. I tried to connect on my pc and my pc also dont detect it.
Tried in various ways, tried with usb phone cable, tried with card reader tried with usb card reader, my sd card is just not detected.

I Also tried various softwares to format it but i cant do anything because nothing detect the card.

Please dont tell me to format sdcard, or mount sdcard in phone etc.... cant do anything because i cant acces that option because sdcard IS NOT DETECTED!
If any of you know what to do to fix issue please tell me.

- Sd card is not locked
-kingston 16 gb micro sd HC

Thank you

I have the exact same problem and have tried the same things to no avail. The issue is that up until recently, the old SD card worked just fine then one day it just stopped working. I've replaced the battery, replaced the SD card, formatted it several times, can read the old one on my PC fine, cleaned both cards, wiped out my phone and reset it, etc. Nothing is working. I'm with Verizon and have a LG VS985 phone. I see other people have different phones with the same problem so I'm wondering if we have anything in common (i.e. the android operating system, verizon, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

greimr

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
It may just be a bad or counterfeit SD card, which is a relatively common problem. Did it come in original sealed packaging, or was it in unlabeled packaging? If the latter, I'd suspect it was counterfeit. If you just bought it, see if you can return or exchange it.

Posted via Android Central App

I have three Samsung 64 gig micro SD cards that have done the same thing. They came in original packaging. Only difference is mine at times asks me to format and mount card. It won't format or mount. Completely frustrating!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have three Samsung 64 gig micro SD cards that have done the same thing. They came in original packaging. Only difference is mine at times asks me to format and mount card. It won't format or mount. Completely frustrating!!!

Welcome to Android Central! In that case, the problem may be related to the phone's SD slot.

Thezombielord47

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
I have a similar problem IT IS NOT COUNTERFEIT! I bought it from walmart It is a samsung evo + i cat read it that well but is also has a xc o it is 128 gigs
it stopped after i put it in y raspberry pi 3 when i plug it in nothing even sees it pls help

Fred_13

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
I had also a similar problem, the memory card was suddenly reported as defective in the phone. The formatting can not been the reason, because it has worked well 8 months. After my research on the net, I now know what's going on. If memory cards are not recognized or if the PC asks for formatting, the controller on the memory card is definitely defective and no software of the world will fix this physical damage !! For a data recovery then the data must be read directly from the memory chip, see also: data recovery from corrupted smartphone (micro) SD memory cards

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I had also a similar problem, the memory card was suddenly reported as defective in the phone. The formatting can not been the reason, because it has worked well 8 months. After my research on the net, I now know what's going on. If memory cards are not recognized or if the PC asks for formatting, the controller on the memory card is definitely defective and no software of the world will fix this physical damage !! For a data recovery then the data must be read directly from the memory chip, see also: data recovery from corrupted smartphone (micro) SD memory cards
Solved 2.5 years ago. But, good 1st post.