Seidio CONVERT Combo for Samsung Galaxy S III

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This is not intended to be a comprehensive review, hoping just to provide some additional insight and photos beyond what's already available on Amazon and Youtube. I'm surprised how few people have commented on this product which in my opinion is an excellent value at $32. It appears that the price has risen in the last few days to $39 however.

Amazon.com: Seidio BD4-HKR4SSGS3 CONVERT Combo for Samsung Galaxy S III SCH-I535/ SPH-L710/ SGH-I747 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I just got this case yesterday to replace both a Diztronic TPU case and Incipio Silicrylic Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core.

Both cases were nice, especially the Diztronic TPU case, however I frequently take my phone to the beach, camping, or have it in my pocket while I work in the yard and was looking for something more substantial. Additionally both the TPU and Incipio cases tend to "peel back" in certain places due to softness, often when pulling out of my pocket, and sand and junk would regularly slip in. I considered the Otterbox Commuter, Defender, and Seidio Active. But at the end of the day *most* of the time I am sitting at a desk, and I wanted a thin case for those times. I could either by an entirely new case to put on for when I need it, or go with the Seidio Convert and attach the additional layers as needed.

The Seidio Convert Combo, which I bought for $32, covers both of my needs.

Seidio Surface alone:
The Seidio Surface case is the inner layer and can be used by itself, and sells for $20 alone on Amazon. There is felt lining on the inside-back for a little bit of impact absorption, and the rest of the case is hard plastic with cutouts for all ports and buttons. The case goes on securely, and can be a bit of a pain to remove (which may be a benefit since it would be annoying to have it split apart when pulling the phone out of your pocket). It feels very thin, does not slip out of my hands, and will be my only case most of the time.

Full 3-Layer Convert Case:
The soft and hard outer shells can snap on over the Seidio Surface to provide more drop protection and flaps to cover headset jack, microusb, camera, flash, volume, and power. The volume and power buttons provide a satisfying 'click' feeling when pressed, and there is no difficulty in pressing the buttons at all. For whatever reason the power button is a little difficult to find by feel (the volume buttons are not). The soft middle layer does "peel back" like the TPU and Incipio caes, however instead of a naked phone underneath there is still the protection of the hard/tight fitting Seidio Surface layer.

The case is thick with all 3 layers installed, no doubt about it, too thick to pull out of my jeans front pocket easily while driving for example (it is still legal to talk and drive in Michigan...). However it doesn't feel too huge to keep comfortably in my jean pocket in general. I imagine the size is comparable to the Otterbox Defender, although I have never owned that case.

There is also the holster which I dont use.

The below photos include

-The Seidio Surface case by itself
surface1.jpg

-The Seidio surface with the Diztronic TPU case on top of it to compare thickness
surface_tpu.jpg

-The full Seidio Convert next to the Diztronic TPU case to compare thickness
ful_tpu.jpg

-A back photo of the full Seidio Convert installed
full_back.jpg

-A side photo of the full seidio convert in the holster
full_holster.jpg

-A front photo of the full Seidio Convert installed
full_front.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members