Server Security Problem When Setting up iCloud Email Account on Pixel 3a.

dfant

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
When Google updated the security settings with their Android release late summer or early fall, my iCloud email stopped syncing with the Gmail App on my Google Pixel 3a phone. I tried deleting the iCloud email and readding it, but kept receiving security errors stating that the security for the Apple email server wasn't adequate to complete adding the iCloud email account back to my Pixel - even though it had been syncing perfectly for the 10 months prior.
I next called Google and then Apple, but they pointed the fingers at each other. So I thought after a few months, this issue would be fixed and tried again today, this time thru settings, as recommended in Joe Maring's January 5th write up on this site titled How to Set Up and iCloud Email Account on Android. I'm using an Apple generated password, and following the instructions exactly as I did before but for some reason Google still doesn't think Apple's email server security is adequate.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and successfully resolved it or found a work around?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about adding your iCloud account to your Gmail app?

dfant

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
Yes adding it to the Gmail app on my Pixel 3a. Every time I try this, even with a new Apple generated password, Google replies with a server security message indicating Apples security doesn't meet their strict standards

dfant

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
yes, I signed into my iCloud and ask for a App Specific Password to be generated. Then use this generated password when attempting to add my iCloud email to my Gmail app on my Pixel 3a phone. The password is accepted, but Google denies the request because of Apple server security issues. Mind boggling

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Could you try an alternative programme like Spark email. It is free, fully featured and I have no issue adding my iCloud email account.

dfant

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
Thank you for your tip. I just read about Spark in the Google Play store, sounds like some are having challenges with it the past few weeks. May have no choice but to try this if I cannot get the iCloud mail in my Gmail app, but it seems like the iCloud issue shouldn't be happening so hoping to try and get this working again first, if someone has a solution. Ludicrous that this is an issue and especially that I haven't seen any other complaints about the issue and also that neither Google or Apple can help me fix it.

dfant

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
yes, just did it again to screen shot the steps and error. While the red bar at the top of the screen is scrolling, a box pops up stating "Email security not guaranteed. There was a problem setting up security for this account. The highest security available may not be suported. Learn more." then there is an option to Cancel or Edit Settings.
When selecting Edit Settings, the options are:
User name
Password
Server (listed as mail.me.com)
Port (listed as 993)
Security type (listed as SSL/TLS)

Then there is an option to select Next
When selecting Next, the Validating Server Settings screen comes up, the red bar scrolls and then it returns to the
Incoming Server Settings screen with a message in red at the top stating: "Couldn't open the connection to the server"

Last edited by a moderator:

dfant

Feb 1, 2021
Visit site
Thank you, tried the second link again, which looks quite similar to one of the methods I tried several months ago and it worked. I used an iCloud generated password, like I did several months ago, as my iCloud password wouldn't work. Truly appreciate your help with this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! I'd send feedback to Apple/iCloud support to let them know about this. Hopefully they can modify the default IMAP settings to reflect the ones that actually work.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe