Set up?

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I can redownload purchased apps for free, correct? I've been taking advantage of Google's 10 cent apps on my Galaxy Tab and want to be able to download them on my Nexus when I get it.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Again, maybe you have crazy VZW stores, but I really am not following the problem. When you say "pointless setup" and "wasting your time," you just mean that they connect the sim card, call the activation number, and its pretty much good to go, right? Cuz they arent taking up hours deciding what widgets to put on your homescreen. .

You don't call the activation number on a 4G phone, doing so can mess up your settings and require you to get a new SIM card. It's rare since the phone is supposed to disconnect if you do that but there have been cases in the forums where it has cased issues.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I
I had a awkward experience when I bought my Xoom at the Verizon store. The guy had me log into my gmail and did a test email. It may be routine but, they haven't always done that and, I wasn't comfortable with someone viewing my email account. He was acting kind of cocky and weird. The girl that set up my bionic was cool. She let me log into my account and once I done that we were done. Anyway, sorry for going off the subject.

I've never had that happen on any phone I have bought. Having me log into Google so my stuff will stat to sync and placing a test call to #832 is fairly common but I have never had them send an email or text of have me to it.

Now days they just hand me the phone once activation has started and as if I have any questions since they all know me at this point and know i know my stuff and will ask of I have any questions. :)

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
When I bought my Galaxy Tab the BB rep put his e-mail in my contacts in case I had any questions. Yea, I never needed that.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I can redownload purchased apps for free, correct? I've been taking advantage of Google's 10 cent apps on my Galaxy Tab and want to be able to download them on my Nexus when I get it.

Yes, although from what I understood from a post I was reading from Jerry about managing multiple devices in app purchases can't be transferred. Not sure if he meant that you can't transfer them to more than one phone at all or if the were somehow linked to the line of service and just cant be on more than one device at a time. I'm guessing it is the first one.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Galaxy Tab the BB rep put his e-mail in my contacts in case I had any questions. Yea, I never needed that.

That's a pretty significant invasion of privacy.

And surprising since in my experience the BB people didn't know crap about the Xoom when I was in there asking questions.

E.T.

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
You don't call the activation number on a 4G phone, doing so can mess up your settings and require you to get a new SIM card. It's rare since the phone is supposed to disconnect if you do that but there have been cases in the forums where it has cased issues.

No need to get upset. First, if you read carefully, I wasn't suggesting that the OP call; in fact I suggested the opposite: that the OP should let a Verizon employee activate it for him. I said that activation is usually a pretty quick process.

Second, (and this is really tangential, but since you seem so upset...) both the Verizon website and Amazon instruct people to call a number to activate their 4g device. I completely agree with you that calling could be totally unnecessary, but, you can see why people are probably getting confused...

Verizon Wireless
Activating the SIM Card To initiate 4G LTE service, call (877) 807-4646 from any phone and follow the prompts. Business customers should call (800) 922-0204 to initiate service.

From Verizon's 4G SIM Information page

spiff72

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, although from what I understood from a post I was reading from Jerry about managing multiple devices in app purchases can't be transferred. Not sure if he meant that you can't transfer them to more than one phone at all or if the were somehow linked to the line of service and just cant be on more than one device at a time. I'm guessing it is the first one.

You can transfer apps from one phone to another (from the Android Market) as long as both phones are associated to the same gmail account. I have been buying a lot of the apps from the $0.10 sale with the sole intention of using them (or at least having them) on my GN when I eventually get it. I currently have the OG Droid and an HP Touchpad running CGMod - and I typically buy the apps with the tablet.

Based on what you said about Jerry's statement and in app purchases, was he referring to "in-app purchases"? I am not sure if that sort of thing is transferrable. I am not even sure you can do in-app purchases on Android.

Apps are also transferrable (can be installed on multiple devices) from the Amazon App Store as long as you are logging in with the same Amazon ID.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
No need to get upset. First, if you read carefully, I wasn't suggesting that the OP call; in fact I suggested the opposite: that the OP should let a Verizon employee activate it for him. I said that activation is usually a pretty quick process.

Second, (and this is really tangential, but since you seem so upset...) both the Verizon website and Amazon instruct people to call a number to activate their 4g device. I completely agree with you that calling could be totally unnecessary, but, you can see why people are probably getting confused...

Verizon Wireless
Activating the SIM Card To initiate 4G LTE service, call (877) 807-4646 from any phone and follow the prompts. Business customers should call (800) 922-0204 to initiate service.

From Verizon's 4G SIM Information page

Reread what I said. How was I upset? The bold was just to show emphasis.

You only need to call the 1-877 number on a device you bought through the website. They will ask you for the mobile number this is in reference to then ask of it is to activate order number ####### and then ask you to key in the last 4 digits of the account holders SSN/or billing password as a way of confirming your identity and agreeing to the terms of service. Same process as a 3G phone actually.

If you got it in store they initialize it for you (I have several LTE phones now and have sold several to others as part of my job). Once the rep scans the phone IMEI and the SIM number, all you have to do is put the SIM card in and wait for it to activate, just like GSM phones, except it takes longer.

Thanks for explaining where you were coming from though. :)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You can transfer apps from one phone to another (from the Android Market) as long as both phones are associated to the same gmail account. I have been buying a lot of the apps from the $0.10 sale with the sole intention of using them (or at least having them) on my GN when I eventually get it. I currently have the OG Droid and an HP Touchpad running CGMod - and I typically buy the apps with the tablet.

Based on what you said about Jerry's statement and in app purchases, was he referring to "in-app purchases"? I am not sure if that sort of thing is transferrable. I am not even sure you can do in-app purchases on Android.

Apps are also transferrable (can be installed on multiple devices) from the Amazon App Store as long as you are logging in with the same Amazon ID.

Yes like I said. Apps are completely transferable and there does not appear to be any limit as far as how many devices they can be installed on.

I was talking about in app purchases (ie extra levels for games and that kind of thing). Yes you can do in app purchasing on Android now. It's fairly new but was introduced around the time the market got a complete makeover.

Niner17

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if I can get a little clarification about this set up process.

I have an HTC Evo with Sprint bloatware, plus my paid and free applications. If I buy a GN and sign in with my Gmail address, I assume I will get my contacts and paid applications downloaded. I don't want to download the Sprint bloatware I never use and never wanted. Can someone advise whether I will only get only my paid apps and stuff directly connected to my Gmail account, or whether I could wind up with all the apps on my phone, e.g, the Sprint default apps that I never purchased? Thanks.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if I can get a little clarification about this set up process.

I have an HTC Evo with Sprint bloatware, plus my paid and free applications. If I buy a GN and sign in with my Gmail address, I assume I will get my contacts and paid applications downloaded. I don't want to download the Sprint bloatware I never use and never wanted. Can someone advise whether I will only get only my paid apps and stuff directly connected to my Gmail account, or whether I could wind up with all the apps on my phone, e.g, the Sprint default apps that I never purchased? Thanks.

Assuming your contacts are synced to your Google account (ie they appear in your address book when you log into Gmail on the web) then yes they will transfer over. By default (at least on Verizon HTC phones) contacts are saved to a regular contacts database on the phone not your Google account (this is something that can be changed).

Yes your apps will transfer just fine and in MOST cases will begin downloading automatically as soon as you log into Google on the new phone. In some cases you need to visit the market once and accept the terms and conditions.

As for the sprint apps, before you deactivate your old phone go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and for each app you don't want either uninstall it or click "Uninstall Updates". This SHOULD prevent your Sprint apps from automatically downloading to the new phone, according to what they said on the podcast the other night.

Reactions: Niner17