Should I get the Atrix HD or wait?

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using a Milestone on at&t running Android 4.0.4 for a little over two years and I desperately need a new phone. My phone served me good, but I'm not sure how much longer I can take it as it's been a headache due to its old, inferior specs.

While the One X and the Galaxy SIII are both good options, I only want Motorola due to their superior build quality and radio strength. Problem is, the Atrix HD isn't a top-tier device on purpose, and 8GB of internal storage is too low and definitely not future proof. I was also really disappointed in the lack of a massive battery a la Razr MAXX.

Should I buy it or wait for Motorola's next offering? Will they manufacture a Nexus device? Or should I buy this on contract and then buy the Moto Nexus if the whole 5 OEMS making a Nexus is true. Will I lose my $15 unlimited plan if I do purchase this phone?

Reactions: MisterA2001

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The last 2 offerings from AT&T weren't high end, and if this one isn't considered high end also, I doubt AT&T would put too much stock in motorola again. Unless 4th times a charm lol. This phone is not bad at all IMO.

As for the whole future proof thing, nothing really is....

RJShaytoon

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
This phone is great. I love that it's a little smaller at 4.5"... seems like all the top-end devices are coming in at around 5" and they just aren't accessible with one-hand.

As far as the 8gb of storage, there is a microSD slot so you can add more.

The biggest knock i've been reading about this phone is the battery. (and the idea that the Atrix HD Maxx will soon follow) However, it seems like they have the phone set up to conserve battery power... I wonder if that means, turning off 4G, which is a huge battery consumer.

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm considering between the sg3 or one x, but the size is holding me back.. but the atrix hd is tempting.. the spec says it's a snapdragon processor, so if it's the s4 processor, this might be it..

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The Atrix HD has smart actions, which unlike any other AT&T phone out there will allow to you to set certain guidelines that will conserve the battery power. It's a great feature and for this phone to have it really I think sets it apart from the rest!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The ion has something comparable to smart actions. Anything less than a 1850-1900mAh removable battery is a showstopper for me. I tried the embedded thing with the ion and I will never consider a phone with an embedded battery again.

And 8 gb is low. Some apps/games download upwards of half a gig and you can't put it that stuff external storage.

At least 16gb+SD slot is needed for the phone to stand the test of time for me. In that instance you save apace by offloadig multimedia and camera data to the SD, while using internal for app data and stuff like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little bummed out not to see any hands-on or reviews yet considering a lot tech blogs happen to get their hands on these devices days, even weeks, before consumers do.

ejpisme

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
The reviews are usually held until the phone is released. I'm sure they have them and are playing around with it. They just aren't sharing, yet.

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Atrix HD Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Well, we have our first review of the phone from the guys over at CNET. As expected, battery life and the camera are a letdown. I'm not sure if it's just the reviewer being awful at taking pictures, but I've taken plenty of shots with my old Droid that put those pictures to shame. I don't care if this is a budget phone, half-assing the camera is something they should have learned to avoid years ago.

Moving on, the reviewer also says the screen is too "over saturated". I'll have to reserve judgment on that. I'm also waiting for the other reviews and hope to see a flood of them tomorrow so my decision of buying this phone is made up when it releases this Sunday. Although, of course, my opinion matters more, but still. I don't like to echo the obvious, but if Motorola had put more effort into this phone; adding a great camera, more internal memory, and of course that 3300 mAh battery they would have had a clear winner and best seller on at&t, which every review on the planet is going to state.

Last edited:

MisterA2001

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I saw to Atrix HD :) at the AT&T storee the day it came out. My issue is I have another 8 months before I can re-new and re-upgrade to a new phone :D. I hope the Atrix HD will:

• Still be around

• Improved on it's feature [eg: fingerprint recognition]

• AMOLED screen

• Android JELLY BEAN

I really like my Atrix 4G and hope to upgrade to the HD [or HD2?? :-\]
when the time comes. . .

Last edited:

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw to Atrix HD :) at the AT&T storee the day it came out. My issue is I have another 8 months before I can re-new and re-upgrade to a new phone :D. I hope the Atrix HD will:

• Still be around

• Improved on it's feature [eg: fingerprint recognition]

• AMOLED screen

• Android JELLY BEAN

I really like my Atrix 4G and hope to upgrade to the HD [or HD2?? :-\]
when the time comes. . .

I'm almost certain each manufacturer will have a phone better than what's out today

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024