Should I switch?: New Note 7 Battery abysmal, Samsung not helpful

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
i'm still using the recalled note, and after the latest update, i'm amazed at the battery life. i got 8 hours of screen time yesterday! i'd get half that with the s7 edge.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Ditch that Note 7 and get a Moto Z Play if battery is your main concern! With 2 hrs SOT on that thing under normal usage I'd only be down to 80%at worst haha.

The SD625 in the Z Play is the truth. Hyper efficient on battery, and can still run my PS1 emulator and Minecraft PE for extended periods of time perfectly while barely getting warm.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as you. I picked up a new Note 7 last week and was using it for 1 week. Battery life was horrible. I was only getting about 9 Hours, not enough to last me a full day of work plus some needed time at home to use it withouth worrying about charging it. I exchanged it and got another one. This is my 2nd day with it and I am still only getting about 9 hours of usage. Does yours also drain about 1% each minute from a fully charged 100%, cause mine does and then it stables out once it gets to 95%?

After reading what others say, they say to check some app? How can I tell which app could be the culprit?

Please advise because after seeing some people getting over 30+ hours, I am just perplexed as to how they can be getting that.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, There hasn't been anything unusual in terms of battery hogs. It just goes down by a percent every minute or so when I'm using it.

Factory reset...ugh. So much to set up again...

Same here. Battery seems to drain every minute I use it. Have you tried a factory reset and see if that helped? Let me know your results

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Im not a fan of the size of phone but this review of V20 make the phone sound really appealing and the battery life at least standby time sounds insane.

https://youtu.be/-7q4lqhvlVQ

Ditch that Note 7 and get a Moto Z Play if battery is your main concern! With 2 hrs SOT on that thing under normal usage I'd only be down to 80%at worst haha.

The SD625 in the Z Play is the truth. Hyper efficient on battery, and can still run my PS1 emulator and Minecraft PE for extended periods of time perfectly while barely getting warm.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Im not a fan of the size of phone but this review of V20 make the phone sound really appealing and the battery life at least standby time sounds insane.

https://youtu.be/-7q4lqhvlVQ

Wait, you're not a fan of the size of the Z Play or the V20? Because the V20 is significantly bigger than the Z Play for the bigger screen (5.7" vs 5.5"), about as big as the V10 was. Although you could rock the V20 without a case since it's military spec drop resistant, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or7rwO7wuSU

That's more than enough durability for me.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the same boat as you. I picked up a new Note 7 last week and was using it for 1 week. Battery life was horrible. I was only getting about 9 Hours, not enough to last me a full day of work plus some needed time at home to use it withouth worrying about charging it. I exchanged it and got another one. This is my 2nd day with it and I am still only getting about 9 hours of usage. Does yours also drain about 1% each minute from a fully charged 100%, cause mine does and then it stables out once it gets to 95%?

After reading what others say, they say to check some app? How can I tell which app could be the culprit?

Please advise because after seeing some people getting over 30+ hours, I am just perplexed as to how they can be getting that.
If you haven't already, check the battery usage in Settings>Battery. It'll show you apps and percentage used. Also try gsam battery app from playstore.

If you have bad reception, that will also drain your battery quicker.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Overall size, I prefer my phones to be smaller than the Note 7... even the slightest amount bigger and I'm not interested because I personally find the Note 7 over my size limit... BUT... sum of parts and s-pen I am willing to live with the size. If it was even a little bigger to iPhone Plus proportions I probably would take a pass on the Note 7 cause I like to use cases for protection.

That's drop test video is impressive! Now we know why not water rated because the rear panel wont stay on but really really impressed how the metal body took the hits with minor scuffs. I wish they made that V20 in G5 size or a tad smaller. 5.3" is around my preferred sweet spot. No way the Note 7 would have survived without damage to glass on one side.

Wait, you're not a fan of the size of the Z Play or the V20? Because the V20 is significantly bigger than the Z Play for the bigger screen (5.7" vs 5.5"), about as big as the V10 was. Although you could rock the V20 without a case since it's military spec drop resistant, check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or7rwO7wuSU

That's more than enough durability for me.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
If you haven't already, check the battery usage in Settings>Battery. It'll show you apps and percentage used. Also try gsam battery app from playstore.

If you have bad reception, that will also drain your battery quicker.

Thank you for that app recommendation. Using it now and I will see what it says. As for the battery usuage, the highest usuage app in the list is only using .05% of the battery, so it's not apps that is draining the battery. My recpetion is failry strong. I am with AT&T in hawaii and we have good coverage. Never had a recpetion problem with my iphones before.

I did notice that ATT pushed out an update for the Note 7. Maybe that update has a bug? Are other ATT users experiencing battery drain issues after the update?

I want to try to avoid a factory reset if possible, but I am willing to give that a try to try to troubleshoot. I do like the note 7, but if battery drain is an issue, I may have to return it and go back to my iphone.. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fufukadan120