Signal strength indication difference

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I noticed something odd yesterday. I was in the park w/ my kids (almost right under the AT&T tower) so I wanted to run some tests. With 5 bars my speedtest.net speeds weren't much different than I've had with 2 bars. Even more disturbing was when I opened the Elixer app. It said my network signal was 59% when the device showed 5 bars! If that's right I wonder if it's possible that something is set in the software/firmware to limit the network signal, thus keeping the connection slower. Any ideas?

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Even more disturbing was when I opened the Elixer app. It said my network signal was 59% when the device showed 5 bars!

From what I understand the most reliable measurement of signal strength is dB/dBm. The closer to 0 (zero), the better the signal. The bars can be misleading because bar 5 can have a 40 dBm range while bar 4 may only show a variance of 10 dBm. And even that varies from phone to phone.

On the Inspire go to Setting/About Phone/Network. It will tell you, in real time what your signal strength is.

Here are my current stats/circumstances for comparative purposes:
(I'm not sure where the closest tower is)
NH
N. Hampton (about 2 miles from coast along I-95)
2nd Floor of commercial building
Signal Strength: -105 dBm to -89 dBm (have yet to see anything under -40 in this area)
Speedtest (Ookla) results at that strength:
Ping: 192 ms
Down: 2786 kbps
Up: 347 kbps (AT&T has obviously NOT activated the HSUPA radio yet).

So maybe you should take a dBm reading under the tower and pair that with your Speedtest comparisons.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So maybe the Elixer app sees 100% signal strength as 0dBm? This device may never be able to reach that. It's odd, though, because on wifi with a full signal Elixer will show that between 90% and 100%. I'll have to dig deeper on this.