Sim card tray won't close

evotz

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Just got a Pixel 3 from eBay. Noticed that the sim card tray was slightly open when I got it - but didn't think much of it. Put my sim card in and it won't close up all the way. I have to use tape to keep the sim card tray closed as much as possible (still not flush with the rest of the phone).

Looking for answers regarding this on the Internet and this seems to be a somewhat common problem, but I never came across any solid solution. One of the more common solutions was to just get a case and that would make the sim card tray stay in - haven't received my case yet.

Just wondering if maybe there's an easy solution that I'm overlooking or not able to find.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it seem to be blocked from going in all the way, or does it go in and then come out on its own (i.e., doesn't snap into place)?

You could try getting a replacement tray, which costs around $5-7 on Amazon.

evotz

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
It just doesn't go in all the way ... er... doesn't stay in all the way. If I apply enough pressure it will go flush with the edge - but I have to keep holding it like that.

It never seems to click in place. Do you think it's a clip or something on the tray that's not snapping into place?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Look carefully at your tray and compare it with this image. Is everything the same? Focus on that rim that juts out, which I think is there to catch a spring mechanism -- if it's missing or worn down, then it's probably not catching.

19096-replacement-for-google-pixel-3-sim-card-tray-black-1.jpg

evotz

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Ah! Many thanks. It looks like the bottom (or top? Guess it depends on your perspective) was bent a little bit. I don't know if there's an obstruction or something inside the phone that is causing this or not.

Before:
one.jpg

I tried to straighten this out some:
two.jpg

It fits much better now. Still don't think it's completely flush - but a lot better now. Might just wait until I get the case now and see how that works. If not I might try purchasing another sim tray like you suggest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! Maybe it has to do with that protruding "nose" at the bottom of the image -- if it was slightly out of alignment, maybe that's the thing that wasn't catching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootje