Dubss

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Looks like them Wi-Fi range issue has been fixed and the last update

Posted via the Android Central App

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I have only had my Pixel C for a couple of weeks but I thought I'd chime in with my experiences.

I have a dual band router (Netgear R7000) but I'd just signed into the 2.4 gHz band without thinking. Was experiencing huge drops in download speed just going into next room. Just tried it on 5 gHz & hardly seeing any drop.

I know this is counter-intuitive to what I'd read about 2.4 but those are the facts, as odd as it seems.

There is a lot of clutter where I live on 2.4 (along with all the unseen stuff) although I don't see much of it via WiFi Overview 360 from the C, though can see all the clutter with the same app on my phone.

Maybe the C is just not good at handling noise? (I can easily get clear air on 5 where I live). Doesn't bode well for travelling though (haven't taken the C walkies yet).

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Pixel C is definitely slower than my LG V10 but it's far from unusable.

I pay for 300/20 internet.

From 25 feet away from the router thru 1 wall:
V10 gets 275/23
Pixel C gets 195/23

35 feet away thru 1 wall:
V10 gets 198/23
Pixel C gets 147/23

50 feet away thru 3 walls:
V10 gets 189/23
Pixel C gets 70/23

Definitely a big drop off as the distance grows but still plenty fast, at least inside my house. I'll have to expand my testing when I get more time.

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Do you have different speed such as 2.4GHz and 5GHZ ifso are they connected to the same frequency? Just a thought.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Do you have different speed such as 2.4GHz and 5GHZ ifso are they connected to the same frequency? Just a thought.

Netgear Nighthawk so have both bands but the V10 and Pixel C are both using Wireless-AC on the 5ghz band.

The Pixel C is still getting solid speeds but it's certainly slower than my phone.

Not sure if it's worth asking for a replacement or just sticking it out and hoping for a software fix, if that is the issue.

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Netgear Nighthawk so have both bands but the V10 and Pixel C are both using Wireless-AC on the 5ghz band.

The Pixel C is still getting solid speeds but it's certainly slower than my phone.

Not sure if it's worth asking for a replacement or just sticking it out and hoping for a software fix, if that is the issue.

Same router for me and not dissimilar experience (less % drop-off though my ISP speeds are much lower to start with).

Have you tried 2.4 just out of curiosity? Drop-off on 2.4 for me was abysmal. Pixel C on 5 gHz is fine for me as I bought it to use mainly lounging around the house - not so good for using out & about perhaps?

Another question: Have you tried any sort of wifi tool? Playing around with Wifi Overview 360, my phone can be seeing 10 nearby 2.4 networks whilst the Pixel C can only see 2. As a layman this appears to be bad antennae but, the more I read about wifi, the more I realise it's beyond my intellect.

Perhaps the hope lies in the fact that many other devices have suffered wifi problems on Android M, and manufacturers/carriers have been fixing them with software updates - perhaps this is one time when pure Android isn't such an advantage - device manufacturers appear to be ahead of Google on this one.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Same router for me and not dissimilar experience (less % drop-off though my ISP speeds are much lower to start with).

Have you tried 2.4 just out of curiosity? Drop-off on 2.4 for me was abysmal. Pixel C on 5 gHz is fine for me as I bought it to use mainly lounging around the house - not so good for using out & about perhaps?

Another question: Have you tried any sort of wifi tool? Playing around with Wifi Overview 360, my phone can be seeing 10 nearby 2.4 networks whilst the Pixel C can only see 2. As a layman this appears to be bad antennae but, the more I read about wifi, the more I realise it's beyond my intellect.

Perhaps the hope lies in the fact that many other devices have suffered wifi problems on Android M, and manufacturers/carriers have been fixing them with software updates - perhaps this is one time when pure Android isn't such an advantage - device manufacturers appear to be ahead of Google on this one.

No, I haven't switched over to 2.4 to see how it performs. I'll have to include that when I do extra testing. I'll check out a WiFi tool as well. My son's cheapo Asus tablet sees about 10 networks as well on 2.4.

Mine is mainly for around the house as well so as long as I don't experience any issues at home then everything should be fine.

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I'll check out a WiFi tool as well.

Could be worth your while. Wifi Overview 360 is a free download & is an excellent app.

Seems to me that the Pixel C doesn't like noise (but that's only my unqualified guess). There is only one other 5 gHz network near me and that was on the same channel as my Netgear router defaults to (44 IIRC). I moved mine well clear (112) & drop-off around my (albeit not huge & on one floor) home, became almost negligible (still drops off quite a bit going outside).

dogmanden

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking possibly the magnetic field from the magnets interferes with the wifi signal!? I will still keep it hoping a software update resolves the issue as it works fine at home even with the wifi dropoff.

sam madison

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
First thing I did on unboxing was download the March update. Later, Wifi kept dropping during use. Hoping this will resolve for some reason.

As of now, experiencing slower speeds, slower page load than my LG G4 phone. I'm going to give it more of a chance, but I'm returning otherwise. $375 sounds great. But all that thought in creating great hardware, you have to deliver the basics at a very high end. Wifi is a basic.. Pixel C should be the best out there at rendering web pages. Google is the Browser, Hardware and OS. Come on!.

I'm also just seeing stickyness in one dyamic comment board I frequent.. Pixel C is unusable trying to reply when board gets big. My android phone handles this better using the same version of chrome. I can't tell if this is also a wifi issue or not..

Rowlette

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine is A1. Did the updates under M and Ran both 2.4G and 5G absolutely flawless. I do perfer using 5G is always about twice as fast as 2.4G.
Did the Update to N Beta again Wifi was flawless.

Vijay Kamat

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I have not tested with any tools but my WiFi speed is very very slow.
But what I noticed is, the speed is slow at night, 20 MB download taking 30 mins etc but in the morning the speed is good enough. Will use some testing tools to get exact figures.Something if fishy here!

Carl_L

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Mine is A1. Did the updates under M and Ran both 2.4G and 5G absolutely flawless. I do perfer using 5G is always about twice as fast as 2.4G.
Did the Update to N Beta again Wifi was flawless.
"Flawless" is perhaps an overly-generous term. I'm sure what you really mean is "Perfectly adequate for MY needs".

Have you compared to other device(s) at same time/location? The very fact that 2.4 gHz gives you half the speed of 5 gHz is hard evidence of an issue (if you ever intend to use it as a mobile device).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMY2024