So, I exchanged my Nexus...

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
VZ is marketing this to the masses, not just developers, so they need to get it working on par with other phones. I've had no major problems, but I have experienced some periods where the transition from Wifi to 3g/4g or between 3g or 4g has not been smooth. I hope VZ and Google work this out. Since I have no real "data emergencies" where getting knocked off will hurt me too much, I can live w/it. As a phone, I've had not one problem with voice quality, dropping a call etc.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Which is what I just said...you are making a trade off. If having the latest is worth it for you, then usability/reliability can take a back seat.

If it is a choice between that or having a phone with basic functions that work, I will take the latter.

I guess I just have an issue with your choice of words. The way you write it, having a GN is choosing to have a phone that is unusable and unreliable. I find that completely untrue. Though that might make me one of the "lucky" ones in your eyes, I think it instead makes me one of the majority. You have problems, and can find threads here of others that have problems, but that's far from jumping to everyone has problems. Connectivity issues that some have ("lucky" me, I've seen none of this either) are far more likely related to a still relatively new 4g network, as I'm pretty sure those same issues exist for some with every 4g phone out.

I'm not going to sway you to the fact that this is a solid device for anyone to own, nor will you convince me that it problematic, so I'm going to leave this thread and let the bashing move on. I do hope that your next experience with whatever phone you choose is a good one.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
You're not at all trading usability and reliability. My Nexus is running flawlessly. There will always be people who have issues with newer devices. Just read through the first few months of ANY new phones forum. As to those, I would attribute over 80% of all issues to conflicts with apps that users tend to install that conflict with the phone/OS. That's both the beauty and the bane of Android being such an open platform and opening to flood gates to the market (app development). It means we're going to get some apps that cause problems. The alternative is to get an iphone where Apple controls everything. Any phone that came out as being the first to run ICS would also have issues, though I still believe most all those issues are related to app/OS conflicts. This is why so many of us do NOT have problems. It may seem like there are many problems from reading the forums, but that's what the forums are for...trying to iron out problems. If you don't want to have the latest, then just buy something else. Of coarse, then you'll (not you specifically) complain about it having an old OS and constantly fill the forums with questions about when you're going to get an update.
Why does everyone need to refer to apple in such a "negative " context? And that phone can be unlocked as well

sent from the MyTouch 4G

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
There aren't tradeoffs. While some like myself prefer the heavier higher quality feel of other phones, some like the light as a feather approach that samsung delivers. It's all preference. No ones opinion is fact. Either you want it or not.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Why does everyone need to refer to apple in such a "negative " context? And that phone can be unlocked as well

sent from the MyTouch 4G

Because apple is the rival company, it's pretty fun to joke about the iPhone and it's followers. But it is still a great device. And im sure it's followers look at us the same way. iSheep, Android fanatics, crackberry users , etc etc.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
There aren't tradeoffs. While some like myself prefer the heavier higher quality feel of other phones, some like the light as a feather approach that samsung delivers. It's all preference. No ones opinion is fact. Either you want it or not.

There's a saying that goes, "The bigger they are the harder they fall." Now physics says that regardless of weight, items drop at the same rate of speed, so weight doesn't matter in that regard. However, when you talk about the impact once the falls stops, that's when you need to consider the weight differences.

That's why the GSII did so well in the drop tests that have been seen. Now I don't plan to drop my Galaxy Nexus (I don't remember ever dropping a phone where I was actually concerned about it), but if I do, I would feel better about its outcome than I would if I had dropped my Thunderbolt.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess I just have an issue with your choice of words. The way you write it, having a GN is choosing to have a phone that is unusable and unreliable.
For a lot of people it is probably reliable enough. But it isnt the same thing as a polished final product. Whether these signal issues are because of the hardware or software the end result is the same (in fact software could mean it is worse in some ways).

I am an Android nerd, and even I didnt want to put up with it. So I can only imagine how annoyed "normal" users would be with those issues. The guy in post #3 doesnt sound happy. I think a lot of GN users on here are a little cavalier in their dismissal of this stuff as trivial. Its not trivial IMO.

Connectivity issues that some have ("lucky" me, I've seen none of this either) are far more likely related to a still relatively new 4g network
So why haven't Rezound or Razr owners been reporting the same problems? If it was a network issue, it would be more than just GN people complaining about it.

I'm pretty sure those same issues exist for some with every 4g phone out.
Um...why? What leads you to believe that?

I'm not going to sway you to the fact that this is a solid device for anyone to own, nor will you convince me that it problematic, so I'm going to leave this thread and let the bashing move on.
Why does everyone assume that stating an opinion about a piece of phone hardware is "bashing"? LOL

I'm not trying to "sway" you into believing that your phone sucks. People on here need to relax and stop investing their personal self worth into their phones. Its just a phone.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So you are basically trading usability and reliability for the novelty of new updates sooner than everyone else, and slightly more customization options.
Seriously? You definitely come off as an individual who hasn't ever owned a Nexus.
Not that thats a bad thing necessarily...but I dont think Google advertised it like that and I think a lot of people were misled into expecting a fully functional device. I came very close to getting a GN and am glad I changed my mind at the last minute. It isnt an "Android phone like any other" because most other Android phones do not have these problems.
I'll be honest with you. The simple fact that you have never been a Nexus owner, all you can do is go off what you read. Based off of reading your posts here and in Rezound forum, the Nexus wouldn't have been a good choice for you. Your complaints can be applied to every 4G LTE phone that has been released so far. Even your beloved Rezound is not worry free, or bug free. One thing is for sure, Nexus will receive updates and fixes for it's bugs long before the Sense UI developers figure out how to fix things on that device. Add in the fact that the Rezound is using an OS that is more than a year old, the fact that there are still bugs in the device speaks volumes about the efficiency and thoroughness of HTC. The Nexus is using a brand new OS. Of course there are going to be bugs and bumps along the way. What is HTC's excuse? The Rezound is not a finished, or polished final product. If it was, it would be completely bug free which it is not. Why can't HTC get their act together and put out a fully functional, bug free phone when it is using an old OS?

Reactions: crzycrkr

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? You definitely come off as an individual who hasn't ever owned a Nexus.
So in your opinion, anyone who has never actually owned something is not permitted to have an opinion on it. Got it.

I'll be honest with you. The simple fact that you have never been a Nexus owner, all you can do is go off what you read. Based off of reading your posts here and in Rezound forum, the Nexus wouldn't have been a good choice for you. Your complaints can be applied to every 4G LTE phone that has been released so far.
Hardly. I know lots of people with 4G phones. The only ones I know with similar problems are Thunderbolt owners. The Rezound forum is full of people who "converted" solely because they got fed up with the connection issues on the GN.

This is not some isolated aberration that I invented.

Even your beloved Rezound is not worry free, or bug free.
You would not know it from the forums. Problems appear to be few and far between.

One thing is for sure, Nexus will receive updates and fixes for it's bugs long before the Sense UI developers figure out how to fix things on that device.
And it is apparently going to need them badly.

Add in the fact that the Rezound is using an OS that is more than a year old, the fact that there are still bugs in the device speaks volumes about the efficiency and thoroughness of HTC. The Nexus is using a brand new OS. Of course there are going to be bugs and bumps along the way. What is HTC's excuse?
Excuse for what? The Rezound works great out of the box. I have not heard a lot of complaints about the Razr either. The Rezound arguably has the best 4G reception of any Android phone released so far, and probably the best GPS too.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So in your opinion, anyone who has never actually owned something is not permitted to have an opinion on it. Got it.
No, that's not what I'm saying. But, clearly, those who actually own and use the device will have different opinion's and actual experiences with it.
Hardly. I know lots of people with 4G phones. The only ones I know with similar problems are Thunderbolt owners. The Rezound forum is full of people who "converted" solely because they got fed up with the connection issues on the GN.
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were only looking to discuss the specific problems of the Nexus. Well no wonder you are able to accept the flaws and bugs with the Rezound.
This is not some isolated aberration that I invented.
I never said that it is. If I did, please highlight where I did.
You would not know it from the forums. Problems appear to be few and far between.

And it is apparently going to need them badly.

Excuse for what? The Rezound works great out of the box. I have not heard a lot of complaints about the Razr either. The Rezound arguably has the best 4G reception of any Android phone released so far, and probably the best GPS too.
Wow! Talk about being blind to your own devices bugs and flaws. Like I said, the Nexus isn't for everyone. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles "out of the box" that an HTC device would have. Hey at least you are happy with your Rezound, that's all that matters. Just like many of us who own and USE the Galaxy Nexus are. That might be at least part of the reason why a lot of VZW stores have them on back order too right now.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
No, that's not what I'm saying. But, clearly, those who actually own and use the device will have different opinion's and actual experiences with it.
One of the biggest threads on this forum right now is filled with actual GN owners complaining about the signal issue. According to the poll in that thread it is a majority of them.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were only looking to discuss the specific problems of the Nexus. Well no wonder you are able to accept the flaws and bugs with the Rezound.
I am still waiting for an example of those "flaws" LOL

This thread is about the Nexus specifically. Thats why my comments were about the Nexus.

Wow! Talk about being blind to your own devices bugs and flaws.
What bugs and flaws? How come you cant be specific?

Like I said, the Nexus isn't for everyone. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles "out of the box" that an HTC device would have.
I didnt know basic reception was now considered a "bell" or "whistle". A lot has changed since the Nexus One apparently.

Then they should warn people about that. Thats all I'm saying. If I was a "normal" user who bought this phone and had these signal problems I would be pretty pissed off about it. I know, I know; "OMG anyone on this forum should have known what they were getting into!"...I disagree. This was never advertised to people as a beta product.

Hey at least you are happy with your Rezound, that's all that matters. Just like many of us who own and USE the Galaxy Nexus are.
Apparently the guy in Post #3 isnt one of those. And he has lots of company.

wassct

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus is great so not sure what problems there are. Just because there are posts on a forum doesn't mean its the majority of users. Most people will post complaints and the ones with no complaints are usually not as vocal. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
One of the biggest threads on this forum right now is filled with actual GN owners complaining about the signal issue. According to the poll in that thread it is a majority of them.

I am still waiting for an example of those "flaws" LOL
Yup, that's because it was one of the most anticipated releases of the year in this forum. If you've been following this part of the forum for any period of time, you'll notice that this section has been one of the most active.
This thread is about the Nexus specifically. Thats why my comments were about the Nexus.
Oh, is that what this thread is for? I thought this thread was about someone exchanging their Nexus.
What bugs and flaws? How come you cant be specific?
From what I've read, there are problems with switching between 3G and 4G just like most every other phone. Its batter life is also not where people expect it to be. Not surprising because HTC is infamous for having crappy battery life on pretty much every single one of their devices.

I didnt know basic reception was now considered a "bell" or "whistle". A lot has changed since the Nexus One apparently.
Yes, a lot has changed since the Nexus 1. Why is HTC still using an OS that is only one step above the OS that used on the Nexus 1? When the Nexus 1 was released it too had reception problems. Come to think of it that Nexus was made by HTC. :cool:
Then they should warn people about that. Thats all I'm saying. If I was a "normal" user who bought this phone and had these signal problems I would be pretty pissed off about it. I know, I know; "OMG anyone on this forum should have known what they were getting into!"...I disagree. This was never advertised to people as a beta product.
You are correct. Just as HTC should warn people that their phones batteries are too small for the power required by their phones. Just as they should warn people that if they want a phone that isn't screwed with by a skin like Sense UI, then their phone is probably not a good choice.

Of course some folks aren't blind to the flaws of HTC, or the Rezound. You'd think the phone would be 100% bug free given the age of the Gingerbread OS.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I must be in the "lucky"group too no issues .I had since launch day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
I've been lucky too. No signal issues (use 3G only), no battery issues. Came from HTC Incredible (as did davidc whom I quoted). The Dinc was a pretty good phone too I thought. I like ICS better than GB at least so far. There seem to be persons who perhaps got faulty phones and just like auto forums, some people get cars with problems/lemons. They tend to post a lot and the threads tend to be long. I bet if I started a thread "Isn't this the best phone EVER" it would drop like a brick lol. My signal strength is between -93 and -83 where I mainly use it and that was the case for my HTC phone.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Apparently the guy in Post #3 isnt one of those. And he has lots of company.

I like how you think because people on this forum like to voice their complaints about issues with the Nexus mean every one in America who bought one got a bad egg. Also, as far as people investing themselves too much in their phone, you're the one in a NEXUS forum touting how much better the Rezound is.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yup, that's because it was one of the most anticipated releases of the year in this forum. If you've been following this part of the forum for any period of time, you'll notice that this section has been one of the most active.
I dont doubt it. A lot of people were looking forward to this phone, including me. That would explain why so many people are pissed off about it's problems. I am sure next time they will know better than to assume that a phone will have decent reception just because it is a Google phone. They will do their homework next time.
Me: This thread is about the Nexus specifically. Thats why my comments were about the Nexus.

Oh, is that what this thread is for?
It is in the thread title. That would have been my first clue.

From what I've read, there are problems with switching between 3G and 4G just like most every other phone.
Read where? LOL

Has someone started a huge thread/poll in the Rezound forum where people are complaining about switching between 3G and 4G on the Rezound?

Its batter life is also not where people expect it to be.
Neither is that of the GN from what I have been reading.

imagesizer

Source - Technolog - Battery life is price you pay for Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Not surprising because HTC is infamous for having crappy battery life on pretty much every single one of their devices.
Apparently Google is now as well, lol.

When the Nexus 1 was released it too had reception problems.
I do not recall anyone complaining about reception on the Nexus 1.

You are correct. Just as HTC should warn people that their phones batteries are too small for the power required by their phones. Just as they should warn people that if they want a phone that isn't screwed with by a skin like Sense UI, then their phone is probably not a good choice.
I agree with this. I go out of my way to emphasize both of these to anyone considering a Rezound. I am not a fan of any Vendor UI, including sense.

Of course some folks aren't blind to the flaws of HTC, or the Rezound. You'd think the phone would be 100% bug free given the age of the Gingerbread OS.
I am still waiting for an example of a bug. So far you have not provided any. All you did was complain about battery life and the Sense skin. (You might not like Sense, but it doesn't have any bugs)

Reactions: aaCharley

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Yet another fallacy. Heavier equals higher quality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus is great so not sure what problems there are. Just because there are posts on a forum doesn't mean its the majority of users. Most people will post complaints and the ones with no complaints are usually not as vocal. Just my 2 cents.
Thats a good point. What volume of complaints are we seeing in the other forums?