So, Lets Talk Headphones - Bluetooth Aptx-HD vs High Impedance Wired

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Those MDR-1ABT cans look great. The specs are close enough to my MDR-ZX770DC that I will stay with them, plus I also get noise cancelling for when flying.

I love Sony's sound signature so I'm sure you have a great pair of cans there! How is the noise canceling on your set? Any audible static/hiss that most suffer from what I've read?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They're the MDR-1ABT. I got a great deal last year for Xmas on them so I got them over the MDR-1A's I had originally auditioned at B&H store.

Perhaps and if you're a snobbish audiophile but l'll tell you this.....I auditioned A LOT of wired headphones for 2 weeks and these MDR-1ABT's are ridiculously good for being wireless! I bought these because I read a few reviews in Head-fi.org from a few owners who had both the 1A's and the 1ABT's stating that they sounded just as good as the wired 1A's I wanted to get. I bought them with the intent to return them if they didn't sound good to my ears but damn, I was so impressed with their sound as soon as I tried them on! Now all I need is a Sony player so I can take advantage of the LDAC codec which is suppose to be better then aptX for even better sound over BT! Don't knock it till you try it is what I'm telling you.

Eglobalcentral is selling mdr 1a headphones for around 160. Great price but not sure I trust the seller

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I love Sony's sound signature so I'm sure you have a great pair of cans there! How is the noise canceling on your set? Any audible static/hiss that most suffer from what I've read?

The noise canceling isn't as good as the Bose sets but is good enough. No audible static or hiss that I have heard.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Eglobalcentral is selling mdr 1a headphones for around 160. Great price but not sure I trust the seller

Yeah, I remember seeing them as well back then for a great price but had a funny feeling about them. I dug deep on them and found some customers that said it took awhile for them to get the product and they weren't sure it was even authentic and some others just having a bad experience with them so I didn't do it. If I remember correctly its a shop in China somewhere which would explain the long wait. You know the saying.....when something is too good to be true....thats usually the case!

BTW, I got my cans through a Japanese shop selling on Amazon since my 1ABT's are not sold here in the states. Not sure if thats the case still. I believe the 1A's are the only ones that are sold here.

Edit: yup, still is Japan import. I got mine for $275 last December! :cool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5616420

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I remember seeing them as well back then for a great price but had a funny feeling about them. I dug deep on them and found some customers that said it took awhile for them to get the product and they weren't sure it was even authentic and some others just having a bad experience with them so I didn't do it. You know the saying.....when something is too good to be true....thats usually the case!

Yeah.... I doubt best buy would meet that price.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I remember seeing them as well back then for a great price but had a funny feeling about them. I dug deep on them and found some customers that said it took awhile for them to get the product and they weren't sure it was even authentic and some others just having a bad experience with them so I didn't do it. You know the saying.....when something is too good to be true....thats usually the case!

Too bad they are only 48ohm

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Too bad they are only 48ohm
Can anyone using the v20 with high impedence headsets respond with their battery life compared with lower impedence headsets? My understanding is the higher the impedence, the more juice they'll need to be powered hence bad for a cell phone battery.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone using the v20 with high impedence headsets respond with their battery life compared with lower impedence headsets? My understanding is the higher the impedence, the more juice they'll need to be powered hence bad for a cell phone battery.

My normal usage with head phones is during a train commute that lasts about 50 minutes and I don't always crank up the volume so I probably don't use much battery. I also recharge when I get to work. They are Sony
Z110NC rated with Power ON 220 ohm, OFF 45 Ohm. They trigger high impedance whether the NC is on or off.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys and thanks for the replies. Headphones seem to be a hot topic for this phone it seems.

In any event, what I am trying to figure out is which will give me the most bang for the buck. A decent set of wired that fully utilize the DAC - along with high quality FLAC recordings or a good set of blue tooth headphones or ear buds that use the APT-x HD codec, again with high quality recordings.

In all actuality, I have used wireless buds for some time - mainly working in the yard or riding my bike and like the tangle free feature... However, I bought this phone for its audio capability so I'm considering going wired - something better than the B&O's.

David

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I highly suggest looking at the Sony Bluetooth over the ear headphones. They have APT-X and also sound great wired. I have the noise canceling variety that I got at Costco for $149.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys and thanks for the replies. Headphones seem to be a hot topic for this phone it seems.

In any event, what I am trying to figure out is which will give me the most bang for the buck. A decent set of wired that fully utilize the DAC - along with high quality FLAC recordings or a good set of blue tooth headphones or ear buds that use the APT-x HD codec, again with high quality recordings.

In all actuality, I have used wireless buds for some time - mainly working in the yard or riding my bike and like the tangle free feature... However, I bought this phone for its audio capability so I'm considering going wired - something better than the B&O's.

David

The Sony H. Ear headphones that are noice canceling and are wireless, are on sale for $199 on Amazon, if you want the black or teal ones. They are normally $350, so it is a good deal. They also have aptx and should trigger high impedance.

Joshua_Muldoon

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I highly suggest looking at the Sony Bluetooth over the ear headphones. They have APT-X and also sound great wired. I have the noise canceling variety that I got at Costco for $149.

I have those right now, I got them last week, but I'm going to return them for $100 and get the Sony H. Ear for $200.