So many issues...can anyone solve any of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aff219

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I have an LG G2x, got it when it first came out, dont want to buy a new phone really, but this thing is a plague.

the issues didnt matter before because i strictly used it for a very occasional phone call or txt and that was it, but now I'm using it more, and all its problems are too much to deal with. below is a list of issues with details I believe are relevant, if anyone has any suggestion for any of them please share.

Currently running:
Android version 2.3.3
kernal 2.6.32.9
build GR140
software version LG-P999-V21e

Issues:

1. Computer doesnt recognize phone (Can't go into USB Mass storage mode):
-when I plug the phone in, it charges, but no USB signal in the notification bar
-no "enable mass storage mode?",
-turned on/off mass storage mode in settings
-turned on/off usb debugging in settings
-used various (20+) usb cables, no change
-used various (10+) computers, no change
-used various USB ports on each computer, no change
-Installed various versions of LG Drivers and LGs update tool (every version I could find) into my PC

The phone originally went into mass storage mode fine and without trouble. within a few weeks of owning the phone I was given notification of an update and downloaded it, all was fine (I assume this was 2.3.3 from 2.3.2, not sure, wasn't familiar with android back then and didn't know these things). A couple months later I got another notification of a new update and downloaded it. When it was done I couldn't notice any changes, and I believe (its been years) the version stayed the same (2.3.3, LG-P999-V21e) After reading the last few days, it looks like my phone should have been able to upgrade to V21y and I had LG support verify this, but it never did (partially failed update?), using the check for update in my phone yields a never ending " ", and I'm unable to use the LG update tool because my PC cant recognize my phone.

This stops me from easilly accessing my phones files to share between my pc, plus I cant root or install any other android versions, nor can I even get the latest update for the stock version.

2. ranom freezes

From what I can tell the phone stays on but the screen goes out (might be wrong, but I'm sure I heard a phonecall come in once when It did this), the only fix is to pull the battery and put it back in. Supposidly this was fixed in the 2.4.4 update, but I cant get it...so... yea.

3. GPS SUCKS:

-cleared data/cache and uninstalled google maps updates
-reset various settings
-gone into hidden menu and altered various settings for the GPS (and set them back to the default ones)
-used various gps testing apps
-added Google to the SLP server list
-tried all combinations of data/wifi/roaming being enabled/disabled

Basically, I recently got data on my phone (never needed it) and tried to use GPS when going somewhere I'd never been to before. The first try googles nav sat there saying "searching for GPS..." and never found me, which I thought was weird because when I open the app it would put me exactly where I'm at, it just would instantly lose me for good. After a few days I realized SOMETIMES it would pick me back up, so I could travel with GPS, it would tell me where to go, lose me, I drive blind for 5-10 minutes, then it'd pick me up again long enough to give me the next turn, or tell me how to get back if I traveled off course.

Unacceptable.

So thats when I started reading and tinkering with settings. I've been able to make it so it -always- finds me within 10 seconds, unless I'm moving. If I'm in a car it will constantly lose me and re-find me (most of the time it can find me within 20-30 seconds, but sometimes it still completely loses me). It's better, but not right, and still only barely useable as a GPS guide for driving. The only fix I've seen that I havent tried yet is editing gps.conf, because I need root access to do so, and I cant do that because of issue #1 and can't find a "one click app/website" that works for my phone and software.

#4 Web browsing SUCKS
-downloaded every browser I could, including puffin, firefox, dolphin, stock, and 2 other ones I cant remember the name of..

Dolphin seems to work decently, but its still **** poor performance. I think this might be a hardware limitation, but I find it hard to believe that they made a phone with web surfing capability that locks up for 20 minutes if you surf the web for more than a few moments.

#5 performance in general kind of sucks
-factory reset

My phone was running very, very poorly, but that turned out to be due to 2 years of use, I did a factory reset on it and it sped up significantly, but it still manages to hang really bad in weird ways, maybe I just dont understand how android handles its memory. I can use an app perfectly fine, but if I continue to use it (say for 30+ minutes) my phone will begin to freak out. lock up, not respond, screen shut off, sometimes it even does a "soft restart" as i call it, the screen turns black but not off, then 5-10 minutes later it comes back on and acts like it was shut off completely. Not sure if theres a known performance issue with this phone or if this is just hardware limitation, figured I'd mention it.

==================================

The two issues I really want/need fixed is GPS stability, and mass storage mode. I can even do without mass storage mode, but I really, really want the GPS to work if nothing else.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help, if I can get this thing to work right I think I'll have a lot of fun tinkering with the android OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332